• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

I think I will book for afternoon tea any one else for tea at Betty's?

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
    Here's a few more pics from the other day

[ATTACH]5940[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5941[/ATTACH]

This is just left of M & S
    Go thro market to the Shamles Area (Oldie Worldy)
    + Oportos Yorkshire Pudding reccomendation

[ATTACH]5942[/ATTACH]

Next 2 are the famous Betty's Tea Rooms
    I think I know who'll be going there
    Note-the queue even in January

Bettys York | Bettys Online

[ATTACH]5943[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]5944[/ATTACH]

Comment

Tuttsi,- Betty's is a world famous tea rooms-but very expensive. I suggest for afternoon tea is brown's-almost across the road from betty's and 50yds from M&S the meet point----they both use the same baker to supply their confectioniary etc etc--and it's half the price in Brown's. The majority of people only go to Betty's for presitge--they come out saying to their friends and family oooooh we've had tea at betty's, but what they don't say is the price they've had to pay for it.

Comment

Oporto, it is Betty's that I would idealy like to go too, it is my first and only visit to York and would like to do it in style, you see I like to be waited on and as it is famous that is where I would love to go. It would be like going to the Ritz in London (famous for afternoon tea) I will book it one afternoon Friday or Saturday, depending on what else is planned. Some might say I am posh, but I lurve afternoon tea in a quaint tea shop that is famous especially when it is named after my late mother.
        Here is a link to Browns for anyone that is interested in self service:- http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...n23EsbKot9fo5A

Comment

Oporto

Its not that dear--£3 coffee-£5 pot of tea-don't know re cakes
          Last edited by Turboman; 29th January 2012, 23:34:PM.

Comment

Torboman, What iam trying do is to find affordable prices that's affordable to peeps as suggested by Tuttsi in post 120. If you like to see nice young girls dressed in mini skirts waiting on tables then I suppose that the prices you have quoted is not too expensive.

I was only trying to help. Good Luck

Comment

Hey Oporto

I know what you mean mate
              Last edited by Turboman; 29th January 2012, 23:30:PM.

Comment

For what its worth I think Bettys is overrated.
                The cakes always look good but you must be prepared to join a snakelike queue out into the precinct, so I'd take a packed lunch to stave off the hunger whilst you're queing.

Comment

PS--more tea rooms Tutts-lol
                  http://www.visityork.org/eating/thed...pid=3&catid=21
                  Last edited by Turboman; 29th January 2012, 23:29:PM.

Comment

Oporto, I fully understand what you are trying to by finding cheaper places for peeps to go. Not everyone will agree to go to the same places to visit as there is so much choice, but this my choice and what I would like to do if I have the oportunity and not everyone will want a cream tea like me. There again not everyone will want to go to the brewery or other venues. You cannot please everyone all of the time.

Originally posted by Oporto View Post
                    Torboman, What iam trying do is to find affordable prices that's affordable to peeps as suggested by Tuttsi in post 120. If you like to see nice young girls dressed in mini skirts waiting on tables then I suppose that the prices you have quoted is not too expensive.

I was only trying to help. Good Luck
                    Last edited by TUTTSI; 29th January 2012, 23:29:PM.

Comment

Right

I've posted up a template letter for you all to request tourist stuff from information offices and Monz is posting pricing and times etc in addittion--so , as I said before, we can discuss the attractions throughout February.

As I said, we all aint going to go to the same things (and indeed-local people probably none at all) but there will be some commonality which gives opportunities for going in small ad hoc groups if thats what people want.

As Monz has posted, several attractions use a "charity type " ticket where you can use it all year.

So if you are obsessed with the Eye-you go on Friday/Sat/Sun-LOL
                      Similarly Jorvik centre
                      But perhaps the year ticket would be very useful for the Castle Museum with just seeing a bit on Friday/Sat/Sunday (say)-if thats what you want

Right---we'll leave the attractions for a while until you all get your factpack and view the websites appropiate to your interests

The most pressing thing is for me to decide on the meeting place(s)

I have eliminated the pub next to Hilton as previous posts--and frankly-Wetherspoons is right at the opposite end of the main inner ring of attractions-so think it also not good

That Stonegate Yard the people I met in M & S recc. looks interesting
                      Welcome to Stonegate Yard

Reccomendationsalso are pubs in Stonegate and Petergate and Lower Petergate

I think from Main Man's list-we have around 240 within the inner ring (the walls)--please don'tmake me check out them all

While I was at the information office-I then crossed over to riverside and there are lots by the river as below--don't know prices yet though

Click image for larger version

Name:	153.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1155152

Click image for larger version

Name:	152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1155153

However, Yates Wine Bar is my current favourite by the river --clean-trendy-good value meals and drinks---
                      Home | Yates's, York | Yates's
                      Yates's, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 9QT - pub details # beerintheevening.com
                      Yates's - York North Yorkshire

They will set aside a special area for us and its got 2 dance floors for those that want to stay all night and don't want to pay Nightclub Fees

Will research further next time in York in 2 weeks----

Turbs

PS--all local Yorkshire rugby teams always used to meet there after games when I was 20--in 19......lol
                      Last edited by Turboman; 30th January 2012, 00:34:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                        Oporto, I fully understand what you are trying to by finding cheaper places for peeps to go. Not everyone will agree to go to the same places to visit as there is so much choice, but this my choice and what I would like to do if I have the oportunity and not everyone will want a cream tea like me. There again not everyone will want to go to the brewery or other venues. You cannot please everyone all of the time.
                        Blimey Tutts---just followed a bit on the link I posted-didn't know it had 6 rooms and that you can reserve a table--looks fab

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
                          ...As Monz has posted, several attractions use a "charity type " ticket where you can use it all year.

So if you are obsessed with the Eye-you go on Friday/Sat/Sun-LOL
                          Similarly Jorvik centre
                          But perhaps the year ticket would be very useful for the Castle Museum with just seeing a bit on Friday/Sat/Sunday (say)-if thats what you want
                          Soz, I missed that bit from Monz. This might not work, but maybe we can do 'swaps' with some of these 'season tickets,' so that the Friday guys buy them, and split costs with the Saturday and Sunday guys, who use them afterwards. This assumes that there is no 'Not Transferable' small print, of course. Damn - I didn't bring my glasses...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                            Soz, I missed that bit from Monz. This might not work, but maybe we can do 'swaps' with some of these 'season tickets,' so that the Friday guys buy them, and split costs with the Saturday and Sunday guys, who use them afterwards. This assumes that there is no 'Not Transferable' small print, of course. Damn - I didn't bring my glasses...!!!

Fraid not Bill--you get a form--then you put your photo on it--then first time used-you need passport etc--then it gets stamped "as this is you" for subsequent use

We got one for The Deep in Hull
                            You also get asked (there) if you want to make a voluntary donation of £4 per Adult

Trust you Scottish looking to save a few groats-lol

Comment

Yeah, I picked up a few Scottish habits over the years. Ah well, it was a thought.

Comment

Re the Template Letter I posted to request leaflets---seems I was advised by a part timer who didn't know the procedures.

To request the A4 Visitors Guide you need to register and request from here

Visit York Official Tourist Information Site, Short Break or Holidays in York

Then click DOWNLOADS then BROCHURE REQUEST---it works btw-got mine this morning--the Visitors Guide is a "must have" btw

Some really good tourist videos in there btw + a useful "Create your own travel plan" pamphlet

Individual leaflets and the mini-guide are in your hotels,in the office, in restaurants & in pubs or can sometimes be requested from the appropiate site for that attraction
                                in meantime-do not use the template letter I have posted and referenced from within post 1--which I will amend later
                                Last edited by Turboman; 2nd February 2012, 11:27:AM. Reason: Leaflet link deleted as for minimum of 25

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X