• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What good is the EU ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What good is the EU ?

I've been meaning to post about this for ages, with all the decisions, ideas and judgements and anything else that may have come out of the European Union that we are being made to follow, I am wondering is anyone can give any examples anything good that's come out of us being in the European Union because I'll be buggered if I can think of a single one at this moment.
    Last edited by Sapphire; 1st March 2011, 12:13:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: What good is the EU ?

Unfair Terms In Consumer Contract Regulations
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    Up to half of British laws come from Europe, House of Commons Library claims - Telegraph

http://www.parliament.uk/briefingpap...0/RP10-062.pdf

Last edited by leclerc; 1st March 2011, 10:49:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Ok apart from that ......

Comment

you only asked about legal judgements didn't you?

Comment

Bugger I meant everything not just judgements, go on then think of other things clever clogs :grin: I've now edited my first post grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Trade
            http://tutor2u.net/blog/files/EU_Rev...de_with_EU.pdf

Comment

http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/cs40.pdf

Here is a debate from 2005 both for and against EU membership. I personally am in favour of a referendum on the matter so that the myths can be dispelled once and for all.

For those trying to bring Switzerland into the mix, they asked for EU membership but their people rejected membership in a referendum.
              Here's some more anti EU sites as well
              THE FREE BRITAIN SITE
              Last edited by leclerc; 1st March 2011, 12:19:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

There is a possible argument about workers. we moan about the Polish etc... coming here by right to pinch "our" jobs, but how many of us know of people who work elsewhere in the EU - I know quite a few who are taking "their" jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                  There is a possible argument about workers. we moan about the Polish etc... coming here by right to pinch "our" jobs, but how many of us know of people who work elsewhere in the EU - I know quite a few who are taking "their" jobs.
                  I know of no one working within the EU taking anyone else's jobs.

Comment

and let's face it, if the migrant workers didn't do the jobs here, they probably wouldn't get done because a lot of our native population are too lazy to get off their arses and on too much benefits to make it worth their while doing a job for minimum wage.

There would be no staff in Macdonalds........ who recruit onine so their recruitment process is pretty fair.
                    Is no longer here

Comment

I completely agree with you Wendy, most cleaners I work with in the NHS are Polish cos very few English people would work the hours. I should, unfortunately, add that they are having babies to get houses, benefits and to settle here........

Comment

A flawed argument because most migrant workers are desperate to get out of those kinds of jobs as soon as they can.

I'm not sure where you get this impression of them being happy little workers on £5.93 an hour? There's a reason why UK citizens shun the lowest paid jobs and equally, there's a reason why economic migrants from poorer EU countries take them. It doesn't make it 'right' that they do take those jobs just because they are the only ones willing to do them (which I think is incorrect anyway).

Most immigrant workers are quickly acquiring qualifications and moving out of those minimum pay jobs as quickly as they can. As fast as anyone else would.

Following your line of argument, we should always encourage a steady stream of new, cheap immigrant labour to do the 'c-rap' jobs no one else wants to do. Imo that's just another form of economic slavery and where do you draw the line on migration if you do that anyway?

Its just another form of economic abuse that this country is taking advantage of. It would be far better to pay better salaries for the so-called 'menial' jobs to attract back British workers. In point of fact, I know of several people right now who have tried to get those sorts of jobs and they're finding it well nigh impossible.

Far better in the long term for this country and our economy to start respecting all citizens reagrdless of what job they do and to pay accordingly, than to rely on de facto slaves working at the very minimum wage and whose incentivsation is to come to the UK to escape the economic privations of their own countries. I feel differently when migrants come here to escape persecution and torture 'n' stuff, but when it comes to ecomomic migrants I feel that the real solution is to encourage those economies to improve.

Comment

The sky football monopoly break up in pubs
                          All the polish in my area are taxi drivers pain in the butt when they do not know the area.
                          Last edited by pompeyfaith; 1st March 2011, 22:39:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

I have to say, when I first came out from being a Headteacher I needed a menial, non stressful job to get me back into the job scene. I would have done anything at all, mopped floors, cleaned loos, whatever.

I applied for literally hundreds and was turned down by every single one. Who wants a toilet cleaner with three degrees, two post graduate qualifications and a range of diplomas and other bits and pieces? Their view was that because I was educated I wouldn't have stuck at it. It's madness when you're willing to do anything, rather more than qualified to do it, but still cannot get a job.

From The Independent

Is British life driving people abroad?
                            Yes...
                            * High house prices and the cost of living in the UK are cited by many people as a reason for leaving
                            * The influx of cheap labour from new EU countries has coincided with an increase in the number of manual labourers emigrating
                            * Universities abroad pay far higher salaries to researchers and teachers than comparable British institutions
                            No...
                            * Only 12 per cent of people say they live abroad because they do not like what Britain has become
                            * Many people go abroad to do a job, but return for 'professional development' - so it can't be that bad here
                            * Researchers say that 'push' factors are not enough to make people leave - 'pull' factors are far more important

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                              II applied for literally hundreds and was turned down by every single one. Who wants a toilet cleaner with three degrees, two post graduate qualifications and a range of diplomas and other bits and pieces? Their view was that because I was educated I wouldn't have stuck at it. It's madness when you're willing to do anything, rather more than qualified to do it, but still cannot get a job.
                              can I just say that this was EXACTLY my experience when I was unemployed in 2008-2009 for 9 months. I was desperate for work - any work - and could find nothing. And that was after having paid full national insurance and income tax into the system for over 20 years.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X