• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Clear the snow off your car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear the snow off your car

It is infact now a criminal offence to drive with snow on your car, even the roof.
    £60 fine and 3 points, reason being snow can slide off and block your view and also blow off and do the same to a vehicle travelling behind you.
    Tags: None

Re: Clear the snow off you car

Useful Thx.

Amazing this nanny state stuff.

Comment

Actually I can see the sense in this one.
      When I used to cycle to school, yes years ago, I always ended up covered in snow due to inconsiderate muppets that couldn't be bothered to clear the drift off their roofs.

Comment

hmmm.sounds like credit crunch policing to me

Comment

This morning I drove with some snow still on my windscreen and some on the roof, but had clear vision. I did not know this was an offence.

Tomorrow I will ensure I don't do this again.

What happens if it snows whilst you are driving and settles?

Comment

I braved the weather earlier and drove into town, I saw a car stop at the roundabout and all the snow on his roof slid down and completely blocked his windscreen, that really brought it home to me how dangerous it is.

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
              This morning I drove with some snow still on my windscreen and some on the roof, but had clear vision. I did not know this was an offence.

Tomorrow I will ensure I don't do this again.

What happens if it snows whilst you are driving and settles?

yeah, thats right. 3 points! I'll be brushing it off from now on in.

Comment

Re: Clear the snow off your car

I don't think it's suddenly become a criminal offence, its been part of the highway code since forever - the police have just decided to enforce it as there have been some accidents caused by people driving with 10" plus of snow on the roof of their car, blooming dangerous for the reasons thers have given (flying off ito other road users windscreens/faces etc / falling and obscuring your vision). The snow clearing bit is only advisory though, so unless you are causing a danger to other road users by not following the advice, or you havent cleared the windows/lights/reg number I wouldnt have thought they can fine you for having a bit of snow on the roof?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Who clears snow?

I have a heated screen. Start engine, press button, drive off.

Comment

pmsl... don't think my heated screen will help with my car today, it got stuck down a hill yesterday and now has a lovely blanket of about 10" of snow over it, even if I could be arsed to dig it out, theres no way it'd get up the hill.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
                      Who clears snow?

I have a heated screen. Start engine, press button, drive off.

I think this lady set off before her heated screen warmed up

Comment

This situation sits alongside drivers who go through flooding too fast, both dangerous acts and can cause a lot of inconvenience to bystanders.

Is common sense nothing to do with the nanny state.
                        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

How do you know it was a lady?

Originally posted by enaid View Post
                          I think this lady set off before her heated screen warmed up

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                            This situation sits alongside drivers who go through flooding too fast, both dangerous acts and can cause a lot of inconvenience to bystanders.

Is common sense nothing to do with the nanny state.
                            The splashing people with puddles is actually an offence. If someone splashes you take down the reg and report to police. It's £60 and 3 points.

As for the snow on your roof, you won't get done if its a frozen solid thin layer, the problem starts when it's a huge layer that is obviously going to fly off at some stage and either obscure your vision or someone else's. (I actually saw a man turning the corner yesterday as the whole rooftop layer slid over his windscreen, how he never hit something I don't know.)

A word of warning though, they are stopping and fining drivers that have their lights and or numberplate covered in snow.

Comment

The problem is, it maybe solid when you leave but soon as the heater has warmed up the temp melts the snow from underneath and slides off.
                              If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X