• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

awww I know this is not the place but.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• awww I know this is not the place but.....

Race on to find greyhounds a home.

The race is on to find new homes for dozens of greyhounds who are still homeless a year after their famous dog track closed.
    More than 40 animals who previously competed at London's Walthamstow Stadium hope loving new owners will come forward thanks to an appeal.
    They are being cared for at Whittingham Kennels, near Waltham Abbey, Essex.
    Staff are keen to quash some myths about greyhounds, explaining they do not require much exercise and are gentle dogs.
    While they may have retired from competition, many are still relatively young with long and healthy years ahead.
    But potential owners may need patience as some of the dogs - who may never have seen a television or stairs before - can take time to adjust to life in an owner's home.
    Walthamstow greyhounds would have been assigned to one of the 12 trainers based at the track and lived at their kennels until the stadium held its last race in August last year.
    Despite the impression people have of hyperactive dogs requiring lots of exercise, greyhounds do not in fact need to run around, according to kennels owner Johanna Beumer.
    Miss Beumer, who has been rehoming retired greyhounds for 43 years, said: "Greyhounds make wonderful pets. There is no comparison with the dog you see racing around the track and the dog going home with you, who is a real couch potato and an absolute softy."
    Prospective owners can visit the kennels to meet the dogs before a home-check is carried out or they can go to the website at Adopting Retired Greyhounds which features a gallery of dogs looking to be adopted

Race on to find greyhounds a home - Yahoo! News UK

Re: awww I know this is not the place but.....

A friend of mine has 5 retired greyhounds (nutter)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Oh dear this is going to hurt, read on and you'll find out why.

My ex was a greyhound trainer, at one stage he had 78 dogs in his kennels and I used to pop along and help whenever I could. The trouble is loads of owners want the dogs when they are racing and then when the dog retires or is injured and stops racing the owners just don't care anymore and walk away leaving these dogs at the mercy of the trainers goodwill. Some of the dogs spend the rest of their lives cooped up in a space no bigger than a small garden shed with nothing to lay on but shredded paper or even straw, they are then let out a couple of times a day into a 20 x 20 ft (paddock) for around half an hour at a time for exercise. If they are lucky they may get the odd walk out.
      There are some unscrupulous trainers out there who will take the unwanted dogs to people who called themselves greyhound vets, these people are usually self taught and a lot cheaper than a 'real' vet, and very illegal. Usually the dog is put to sleep, its ears are cut off so they cannot be identified, the bodies put in black sacks in a freezer and then late one night are taken to the tip and left there.
      Sorry if its upset anyone but that bit had to be told and its the harsh side of the game.
      We had a Yorkshire terrier at home so when I actually fell in love with one of the bitches in the kennel and decided to take her home it was a big concern that 'Daisy' would kill the yorky, but a couple of days with a box muzzle on Daisy and a couple of stern NO's they did settle down and all was well.
      I got quite involved in the racing side as my ex talked me into buying a dog and he did actually do very well at Walthamstow, but I was determined that he would never become one of the 'forgotten dogs' so when Fred retired off we went and took him home too, did the same with the box muzzle and after a couple of days I had 2 greyhounds and a yorkshire terrier living in perfect harmony.
      In fact so docile was Fred that the yorky would be hanging from his testicles whilst he was walking around and that dog never ever did so much as snarl at her.
      During this time I split with the ex (thank god) and I kept the dogs (and the house but it was mine before anyway). I got involved in dog shows and Fred won quite a few prizes which was hilarious because when the announced his name in the ring they added on my surname which is West, think about it lol.
      Anyway, obviously nature takes it course, they get old, the yorky died, then Daisy and then Fred 3 years ago, Ame, Amy and Cet will remember this as we were all members OTR and used to natter in the chatroom in the previous site.

What I am getting at is that Greyhounds are fantastic animals, if anyone wants to home a dog then get one, they are loving, loyal and fabulous companions and to be honest don't cost a lot to feed, mine used to eat leftovers mostly and the odd roll of dog food.

If anyone wants anymore info on this subject please do give me a shout, I'd love to help in anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
        Oh dear this is going to hurt, read on and you'll find out why.
        Shouldn't have read on blubbing now, poor doggies
        Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
        Me VS Abbey Win
        BIL HSBC Credit Card
        BIL EGG
        BIL HSBC Loan
        BIL PPI Win

Comment

I have already said that I will have a retired greyhound as my next dog, but atm already got 3 dogs and couldn't cope with another one. But next one will definitley be an ex-racer.
          Is no longer here

Comment

On the greyhound subject

If anyone in the Manchester area fancies a free night at Belle Vue dogs for the Totesport.com Gold Collar night on thursday
            then use the attached voucher

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X