• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What is that smell.....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is that smell.....?

Not having any men in my house whilst it smells bad :tinysmile_twink_t2:

FFS water softner just went ping again ...shouldnt have bloody touched it. Now I have a bad smell and a broken softener
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Comment

Just a thought.. is there any possibility for moisture from the water softener or any other source close to the understairs cupboard leaking anywhere under the floor?

Comment

When was last time you painted under the stairs ? (ie is this first summer since?)

(long shot - lime wash exterior and interior emulsion creats an ammonia type smell in heat apparently lol)
        Last edited by Amethyst; 5th August 2009, 19:37:PM.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Main man View Post
          Just a thought.. is there any possibility for moisture from the water softener or any other source close to the understairs cupboard leaking anywhere under the floor?
          It all looks dry, I cant afford the water softener people to come out, apparently it was installed in 2002 and has never had a service. So it might be the softener.

I sniffed everything and it all smells just as bad, I cant isolate it to paint or floor or softener

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          When was last time you painted under the stairs ? (ie is this first summer since?)

(long shot - lime wash exterior and interior emulsion creats an ammonia type smell in heat apparently lol)
          Ahh I painted the whole stair well at Christmas... but only under the stairs smells? I used white dulex God only knows if that is limey lol

My Hardship Claim
          Me VS Abbey Win
          BIL HSBC Credit Card
          BIL EGG
          BIL HSBC Loan
          BIL PPI Win

Comment

Okay could be the emulsion reacting in heat (muggy heat) with something like damp or plasterboard or mortar (still long shot) wipe walls down with Milton (you know babies bottle sterilising stuff) and then coat with damp proof sealant thingy stuff (I'll look what its called later have some under my sink cause i had problem in my extension hall bit.

of course might not be that at all lol

under the stairs wont be done (technical term) as well as the rest and its an enclosed space so heat and smell builds up.

Well anythings worth a try by the sounds of it
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

My guess is that it is the water softener that needs disinfecting.

Is it a plumbed in jobby?

Does it have a mains water feed, an overflow pipe, maybe you have a mould growth problem up your overflow pipe.

Can you post up some piccys ?

Comment

pipes - they all go into the softener..... cant actually get to them to tell you what is what (probably couldn't tell you even if I could get to them lol) The dirty pipe in the frount comes from the electric box.

inside looks clean enough

Cant take the black cover off the buttons now or all the inards fall out..whoops

Err how do I disinfect it without disinfecting my entire water supply! It is mains connected, I think, the water goes in there then through to normal house taps and whatnot

its one of these http://www.thewatersoftenercentre.co...ter%20softener

My Hardship Claim
                Me VS Abbey Win
                BIL HSBC Credit Card
                BIL EGG
                BIL HSBC Loan
                BIL PPI Win

Comment

is that damp on the floor under the pipes?
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

The darker brown bits of wood are still slightly damp from when I scrubbed them earlier the lighter bits are dust that I couldn't get too to scrub :o I assumed if there was a pile of dry dust then there couldnt be act pee there lol

Going to do the Milton thing just incase

My Hardship Claim
                    Me VS Abbey Win
                    BIL HSBC Credit Card
                    BIL EGG
                    BIL HSBC Loan
                    BIL PPI Win

Comment

Any luck, have you found it yet ?

Comment

Do you have an air vent in the cupboard? If not why not? if so and you have cats maybe a male cat is spraying the outside of the house and the smell getting in, you wont smell the cat scent outside cos it is ventilated. I had this problem a while ago, it was easily resolved with a water pistol full of bleech, I firstly sprayed the outer wall then the tom cat.
                        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

There is no cupboard, the space under the stairs is open I temporarily closed it up (with a big bit of mdf) when I thought it could be the cats making the smell and there is no cat pee or cat spray.

Last night I spent a couple of hours trying to work out where the water softener pipes went, I found the off valve conveniently located in the corner behind a kitchen cabinet, so after dismantling half the kitchen cabinets the water softener is now off. Not sure how to drain the softener though? It has about 6 inches of water in it?

My house now looks like a demo site and the bleedin smell is still there, and giving me a headache.

Electric doesn't smell so cant be the electric box, all the gas stuff is new and was replaced just a few months ago so not that....I've ruled out cat pee / spray through various methods the only thing left is the water softener, will remove it at the weekend and see if that makes a difference.

My Hardship Claim
                          Me VS Abbey Win
                          BIL HSBC Credit Card
                          BIL EGG
                          BIL HSBC Loan
                          BIL PPI Win

Comment

I think that if it was the water softener that was creating the smell, your water out of the tap would also smell be tainted..? also are any overflow pipes on that side of the house ok? any airbricks (sub floor level)on the outside all free from any soil or debris?

Comment

Did you find out what it was then Mocha ?

Comment

No still stinks. might just sell the house and spray air freshener on it every time I get a viewing lol

My Hardship Claim
                                Me VS Abbey Win
                                BIL HSBC Credit Card
                                BIL EGG
                                BIL HSBC Loan
                                BIL PPI Win

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X