• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dumpster Diving UK Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumpster Diving UK Laws

Hi. I would like to go dumpster diving and I would like to stay on the right side of the law.

The first one is trespassing... I understand that trespassing is a civil matter and not a police matter?

What is private and public land... for example Argos is a public store but if one goes behind it where the dumpsters are is that still public land?

Many stores have a recycling policy that they do not stick too and chuck things like batteries into the dumpsters that end up in landfill. Does this give the public a right to remove illegally wrongful disposed rubbish?

Is it theft to take things from dumpsters?

Having to type this out again because the first post vanished... just a side note.

Tags: None

Originally posted by Tired Seeker View Post
    Hi. I would like to go dumpster diving and I would like to stay on the right side of the law.

The first one is trespassing... I understand that trespassing is a civil matter and not a police matter?

What is private and public land... for example Argos is a public store but if one goes behind it where the dumpsters are is that still public land?

Many stores have a recycling policy that they do not stick too and chuck things like batteries into the dumpsters that end up in landfill. Does this give the public a right to remove illegally wrongful disposed rubbish?

Is it theft to take things from dumpsters?

Having to type this out again because the first post vanished... just a side note.

Your post was unapproved by our sometimes over-sensitive spam filter, so I've approved it.

I doubt anyone here would advise that you wouldn't first need the consent of the business.

Comment

Trespass is a civil offence until it is allied with an intent to do something unlawful - then it can become criminal.

The car park is all private land.

No it does not create any such right.

Yes, it is theft. Property in a dumpster is still property. There is a phrase 'theft by finding' which describes this.

Comment

Argos is private property. The public are permitted onto certain parts of that property at certain times.

There have been cases where people removing items from skips have been convicted of theft.

Proceed with care.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by dslippy View Post
          Trespass is a civil offence until it is allied with an intent to do something unlawful - then it can become criminal.

The car park is all private land.

No it does not create any such right.

Yes, it is theft. Property in a dumpster is still property. There is a phrase 'theft by finding' which describes this.
          This got caught by the spam filter too. I think it's the 'dumps' in 'dumpster' that the spam algorithm picked up. It's a commonly used reference associated with the marketing of stolen credit card information.

Comment

Can';t reply

Comment

Somebody needs to do something about this bloody spam filter its making the forum unusable

Comment

Try using the word "skip"
                Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X