• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Golfers being aggressive to ramblers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golfers being aggressive to ramblers

I just got back from my daily walk. This message I sent to the local golf club really explains what happened.

I would like to make a complaint about one of your members. I have a photo of him so you can identify who it is.

I am rambler.

He told me to **** off. I said it was a common and he said its owned by the golf club. He claimed I had no right to be there. I said don't you know the history of how this place was bought. He said he did. Obviously he is trying to mislead members of the public.

He started off by asking what I am doing. I think he was trying to say I was following him. I just did my normal rambling route. They were playing slowly and I caught them up. I kept 30 to 40 yards behind them to the side of the fairway so I wouldn't interrupt their play.

The disgraceful behaviour by some golfers is giving your club a bad name. A month or so ago, I had a golf suddenly step in front of me telling me to walk on the designated routes. He has no right to demand that and to become aggressive to a rambler.

After posting about this on facebook, there was a lady who also said a golfer was really rude to her.

I will be maximising the publicity of this because it keeps happening and something has to be done about golfers at your clubhouse being rude and aggressive to members of the public.
    Just a little background. The golf course is also a common. Part of the agreement for the golf club to buy the land was that it has to remain a common.

Is there anything I can do about this sort of behaviour? Telling members to f off as they do their daily walk is hardly civil.

Thanks,

Jon
    Tags: None

Is this therfield heath by any chance?

Comment

No, it is Crowborough Beacon Golf Club, which was built on Crowborough Common.

Comment

https://www.crowboroughcommon.org/legal_documents

Comment

Having read the documents I can tell you that there is no right to roam. The regulations specifically exempt golf courses. However, the document implies that there are roads and bridleways which cross the common. I would get an OS map and stick to the public rights of way. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

Comment

We often encounter golfers on our walks on Wimbledon Common. We all follow the rules - golfers wear red so that they're visible, we keep off the fairways unless crossing them - and most are very courteous. Those that are aggressive (more often than not it's the crap players; angry, red-faced, dressed in awful plaid like a fat Bertie Wooster) find their shot has landed in the trees, the rough, or the ball has just..... gone missing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X