• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Saffy's best friends mum.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saffy's best friends mum.

I've started a new thread in order to avoid hijacking BBB's thread.

Anyway, I'll try to tell the story as fully as I possiblly can.

A couple of years ago my friends Mum (early 70's) who has always been the most houseproud of women, never had a hair out of place, full make-up etc etc.
    Anyway she started acting differently, wouldn't eat because it might make her teeth dirty, wouldn't drink because she might wet herself, lay in bed all day and all manner of things.
    Her husband has got COPD and needs help and my friend has taken on the carers role for her dad, believing that her mum would be fine.
    Over the last 2 years or so Mum has been in and out of the local Mental Hospital and has spend long, long periods at a time in there. After loads of electronic treatments and other therapies, they get her eating, drinking, washing herself, getting dressed and generally back to normal, so the doctors say she is basically ok and she is then sent back home.
    Within a day or two she is back to staying in bed, refusing to wash, eat, drink and anything else. She is nasty with a capital 'N' and blames my friend and her brother for everything.
    So in the end the dad can't cope with her and the doctors are called and Mum is admitted to the Mental Hospital once again and there the cycle starts over and over again.
    After loads and loads of meetings with the doctors my friend has been told her mum has 'Vascular Depression'. The upshot of it is that she cannot stay in the Hospital all the time and cannot go home because she goes back to staying in bed etc once she gets there.
    It was suggested that she goes into a home where she will be looked after and encouraged to do things for herself and eat and drink.
    My friend was told that as its 'Vascular Depression' that they would have to pay for the home themsves, if it was 'Vascular Dementia' then the home would be paid for (I think I've got that right).
    So the search was on to find exactly the right home, that is near to them and would treat mum with the proper care that is needed. They actually found one locally at a rate of £560 per week.
    The mum and dad own their own home and had £60k savings in the bank. In the last few weeks the dad has split most of the money between my friend, and her brother to be given to the grandchildren when dad and mum pass away.

Now I've been doing some reading and believe I am right in thinking that 'Vascular Depression' will eventually become 'Vascular Dementia', but, what I can't understand is how my friend and her family are being made to fork out the money for the mum to be in a home, it seems criminal to me, especially as the mum just cannot go home and lead a 'normal' life.

Re: Saffy's best friends mum.

Sapphire,

Is your friends dad still living in the family home? If that is the case then the house should be safe from social services getting their hands on it. The other issue is the savings. If they are in joint names then only half of the total amount can be considered by SS. They can only consider someone as a self funder if they have more than £22500 in savings.

The other thing that should be done is to ask for a full continuing care assessment to be carried out by the NHS. You can find out more about the process here:-

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publications...ance/DH_076288

Go to the above site and download the framework which explains the process in getting fully funded NHS continuing healthcare.

The main issue is to establish if your friends mum has primary health needs.

Did SS carry out a full assessment to see if your friends mum could be cared for at home at all?

Comment

Oh thanks for those details BBB, I will pass them on to my friend and will also ask her the questions and will post back here when I find out.

The dad still lives in the house, so thats good isn;t it. I do know that the doctors or social workers, not sure who, but they expected my friend to care for both mum and dad and my friend had to categorically refuse to do it. Blimey she has a family, although be it her kids are grown up and live away from home now, and there's just her and her hubby at home now, but even so surely they shouldn't expect her to look after both mum and dad, the condition they are both in.

Anyway like I said earlier I will put all your point to my friend and report back here.

Comment

Sapphire,

The fact your friends dad still lives in the house is very good. The rules are that anyone living in the house over the age of 60 means that it is untouchable.

If they haven't done so already then it might be worthwhile looking into the legalities of signing the house over to ensure that the house cannot be touched if the situation ever arises that your friends father also needs to go into care. This has to be done properly to avoid any claims from SS for deprivation of assets.

Comment

It's my understanding that Vascular Depression is ALWAYS linked to Vascular Dementia. The 1st symptoms display as dementia, forgetfulness, disorientation etc: followed by aggression & a refusal to care for their appearance or leave their bed etc:

http://www.psycom.net/depression.cen...entia.dep.html

In other words dementia precedes depression. The dementia victim becomes depressed when, during lucid moments, they begin to realize that they can no longer manage normal daily tasks or are not behaving as normal
          Last edited by righty; 15th December 2008, 00:36:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X