• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Christmas Nosh and Recipes and Tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Nosh and Recipes and Tips

Well we've had a couple of cooking and recipes threads in the past, but not one just for Christmas food and stuff. Thought it might be a good idea to stick all the Crimbo food ideas and so on onto one thread.

This is Scoob's fault for posting that yummy sounding icecream recipe on the credit crunch thread lol.

Myself, I usually have 7 people to dinner on Christmas day, although this year only 6. I try to get as much preparation done beforehand as I can, that means on the day I just have to swan round the kitchen chucking things into the oven at apparently random times. The randomness is decided on how much wine I have already consumed lol.

You can drive yourself barmy with the stress of it all, so plan it in advance for a stress free day.

But the best tip of all is to remember to share it with people you love (or at the least, like). :gingerbreadhouse:
    Is no longer here

Re: Christmas Nosh and Recipes and Tips

I always make the full roast turkey etc for Christmas.

I always serve creamed leeks with it...but with a twist!

Cook the leeks for 12 mins in boiling water with salt.

Meanwhile melt 2oz of butter in a non stick small saucepan. Add 1-2 oz of flour and allow to soften and mix together.

Grate some nutmeg (1/2tsp) into the flour/butter mix.

Add 2-3 tsp of sugar.

Then slowly add about 1/3 pint of milk to make a white sauce.

Ad some cream if you are feeling naughty.

Pour over drained, cooked leeks and stir in well.

Serve...........yummy. The sweetness of the sugar and the taste of the nutmeg are amazing with leeks. Goes really well with a roast because it adds something creamy to the plate.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Turkey and all the trimmings on our table too. Usually do another meat, might do ham this year if I can stretch the budget.

Starters either pate or home made tomato soup

Main course Turkey + a.n. other meat
      potatoes, roast, boiled and mashed
      carrots, sprouts, peas, broccoli
      roast parsnips in maple syrup
      pigs in blankets
      yorkshire puds

The leeks sound lovely but dunno if I could be arsed with making the sauce on the day - could I make it beforehand and keep in the fridge, then chuck over to warm through?

dessert - depends. But anything that I suggest to OH is met with "has that got cointreau in it?" Will there be cointreau in it" "Is it cointreau flavoured" The orange curd icecream is top of my list at the mo - sounds remarkably easy and hopefully will shut him up if I chuck a dram or two of cointreau in it and garnish with some mandarin slices. Or Terry's choc orange slices shaved over would be nice
      Is no longer here

Comment

Well I got to finish my kitchen first, which has to be done cos ive invited the family round.
        Also need to buy a bigger kitchen table and chairs this weekend.

But I will be doing the traditonal christmas lunch.
        We usually get all the veg done xmas eve and everything ready, so in the morning you jsut have to stick in all in the oven, then you can be overun witht the kids and their presents.

Comment

Quote:
          Originally Posted by scoobydoo
          any tips for nice easy budget recipes?

Mine is the easiest ice cream - it will really impress

1 x jar lemon curd
          1 x 600ml double cream

just mix together and freeze- dont even need to use a icecream maker.

Try it its lovely ( and dont tell anyons how easy it is)

You can use orange curd as well.

Also to keep food longer ( fruit and veg) use the stayfresh type antibacterial bags in the fridge - they sell them at lakeland and Robert Dyas. Saves your veg going mouldy

I bet that icecream is lush served in brandy baskets, thanks scooby

Thats just what I did - served in brandy baskets with a few rasberries - it is actually quite rich so you dont need too much.

This year my daughter is working Christmas day and my son is house sitting - so they will only be there in the evening - so I may do an all day buffett - just for a change! I will ask my in-laws as I do every year but they wont come and as my Dad suffers from SAD I have to be very careful only to ask them just before Christmas as otherwise he will fret about travelling etc - so last minute is best to ask them.
          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
            I always make the full roast turkey etc for Christmas.

I always serve creamed leeks with it...but with a twist!

Cook the leeks for 12 mins in boiling water with salt.

Meanwhile melt 2oz of butter in a non stick small saucepan. Add 1-2 oz of flour and allow to soften and mix together.

Grate some nutmeg (1/2tsp) into the flour/butter mix.

Add 2-3 tsp of sugar.

Then slowly add about 1/3 pint of milk to make a white sauce.

Ad some cream if you are feeling naughty.

Pour over drained, cooked leeks and stir in well.

Serve...........yummy. The sweetness of the sugar and the taste of the nutmeg are amazing with leeks. Goes really well with a roast because it adds something creamy to the plate.

I am loving the sound of this recipe, what time is LUNCH on the 25th!!

xx

Comment

People actually eat on christmas day!?! I thought you were only allowed to eat chocolate and drink copious amounts of alcohol!

I'm a veggie so not many of you will eat the food I do...

But a couple of years ago when OH's dad was first diagnosed I was put in charge of buying all the food. I dont know anything about meat at all byt apparently my Turkey (which had been hugged to death) was the best one they had had in years.

It was quite expensive but if oyu can afford it, it is well worth it apparently...
              Organic meat

This year our turkeys are from Kings Coppice Farm in Cookham, Berkshire and Paul Kelly in Essex. The Copas farm has been in the Copas family since 1901. The farm is now run by Tom and Brenda Copas and their daughters Tanya, Fenella and Sarah. Paul Kelly's family has been raising turkeys for over 30 years. Both farms raise exceptional turkeys, and here's how...

Welfare and quality are top of the agenda. Their organic free range bronze turkeys are treated like royalty, which means you get to eat like a king! Their feathered friends get lots of TLC (that's Turkey Loving Care), and their practices exceed all farm assurance schemes and welfare standards currently set in the UK. That's impressive, and that's why we get our Christmas turkey from them.

(Bloody silly idea asking a veggie to sort out a meat christmas lunch)
              Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
              Me VS Abbey Win
              BIL HSBC Credit Card
              BIL EGG
              BIL HSBC Loan
              BIL PPI Win

Comment

OMG No wonder it was pricey! Copas turkeys are the best in the land.

I think they live in luxury sheds with heating and music and duvets.

"Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I saw a really good version of bubble and squeak.

Line a pastry case and make a lid too.

Use old mash.
                  Fry onions in butter.
                  Cooked Cabbage or greens.

Layer 1/2 mash in bottom f the pastry case.
                  Layer of Greens.
                  Add egg and cheese to mash left.
                  Add to pastry case.
                  Add top of Pie wash with egg or milk.

Cook for 30 mins on 190'

Serve hot.

Comment

Christmas will be different for me this year as we are going to my daughters (long story short I now don't have the room and I gave her my dining table etc)

There is 11 of us for lunch

we don't normally have a starter if we do it is chicken soup

Turkey & Beef
                    Potatoes roast and mash
                    neap (turnip mashed)
                    carrots
                    peas
                    and skirlie for you south of the border lol it is oatmeal, suet, chopped onions salt and pepper mmmmmmmmmmmmm
                    brussel sprouts
                    pigs in blankets

and for desert

Trifle
                    and ice cream cake

I go that now just made myself hungry.
                    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

We always have all the trimmings. My son said he will NEVER go anywhere else for Christmas dinner but my house even if he gets married and has kids - they can go to in-laws but he's coming to me as it's best Christmas dinner ever. He even now doesn't go to pub Christmas Eve as one year he drank so much he missed Christmas dinner - he was mortified. Nice complement for me though.

We have all the usual stuff including Christmas pudding, mince pies, brandy butter, rum butter and cream and custard - two types of custard runny for most of em and thick for son and me!

I make all my own pudding, pies including pastry, butters, etc. One big moan for me is that there is nowhere you can buy mincemeat with beef suet anymore - it's all bloody vegetable suet (sorry all you non-meat eaters!). So .............. if anyone knows where I can get mincemeat with beef suet please shout ... LOUD.

We also changed present opening to after lunch - it gives the kids something to look forward to, adults can carry on drinking while it's happening and you don't fall asleep!

Telly is banned from midnight Christmas Eve to midnight Boxing Night - Christmas is time for kids not telly as far as I'm concerned - however big the kids are. Oh ..... and games right through the night with more drinks and turkey sandwiches!!!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Oops ... sorry ... rambled a bit there!!

jax

Comment

Jax that sounds great

We always have lots of games - but I wish I could get telly banned as its normally all repeats anyway.

My kids and hubby wont eat xmas pudding or mince pies - so I have it all as I love it.

My son insists his nan makes him a lemon meringue pie for christmas day. Takes all sorts.
                        "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

I actually make anywhere between 7 and 9 DOZEN mince pies coz they get wolfed way before Christmas!!

I must admit Christmas dinner is bloody hard work but well worth it when you get the appreciation!

BTW (all you lot who remember Katie Boyle ROFLMAO!!) she printed a 'technique' to cook turkey quickly and not leave it in oven all night. You have to be very brave - but once you've done it once you'll never go back to the traditional 'drying out' way of cooking.

It's for 12-16lb turkey. Only stuff neck end - NOT cavity - my mum does most AMAZING stuffing with sausage meat, turkey liver, sage & onion mix and a bit of water. Put oven on highest number for half hour and then cook turkey for about 1 1/2 hours (hour and half) until juices run clear (yes ... thank you Bud ... no comment required!!) and baste regularly. You might need to put a sheet of foil/baking parchment over top towards the end as it can get a little crisp on top.

The meat is succulent as anything - we weren't brave enough to try at Christmas so we tried at Easter about 20 years ago and have ALWAYS cooked it this way since.

Mmmmmm...scrummy!
                          Last edited by jax007; 18th November 2008, 18:31:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jax007 View Post
                            So .............. if anyone knows where I can get mincemeat with beef suet please shout ... LOUD.

jax

MIL says your local butcher should have it
                            Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
                            Me VS Abbey Win
                            BIL HSBC Credit Card
                            BIL EGG
                            BIL HSBC Loan
                            BIL PPI Win

Comment

Originally posted by jax007 View Post
                              until juices run clear (yes ... thank you Bud ... no comment required!!) and baste regularly. You might need to put a sheet of foil/baking parchment over top towards the end as it can get a little crisp on top.
                              Bugger !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X