• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reg Varney, star of "On the Buses", RIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reg Varney, star of "On the Buses", RIP

On The Buses' Varney dies at 92

Reg Varney's first major TV role was in BBC sitcom The Rag Trade

Comedy actor Reg Varney, best known for playing driver Stan Butler in ITV sitcom On The Buses, has died aged 92.
    He died following a short illness in a nursing home in Budleigh Salterton, Devon, where he had recently been admitted with a chest infection.
    His daughter Jeanne Marley, 59, said her father had died "peacefully" on Sunday afternoon.
    On The Buses was one of the most successful British comedies of the 1970s, with over 60 TV episodes.
    Varney's partnership with co-star Bob Grant, who played randy conductor Jack Harper, saw them become household names for a generation of viewers.
    The series, which ran for seven years from 1969 and spawned three feature films, followed the two characters as they dodged work and did their best to wind up inspector Cyril "Blakey" Blake, played by Stephen Lewis.
    Mrs Marley said he had only recently been admitted to the nursing home after he had begun suffering from a chest infection.
    She said: "He's always been very young for his age. When he was in On The Buses he was playing a 35-year-old, but he was actually 50."
    Working men's clubs

The On The Buses cast after Bob Grant's 1971 wedding to Kim Benwell

Varney was born in east London as one of five children, and attended school in West Ham. He worked at the Regent's Park Hotel after leaving school, but went on to play the piano and sing in working men's clubs.
    Varney entertained the forces during World War II, where he served in the Royal Electrical Engineers, and later appeared in seaside shows and played pantomime dames.
    He first came to the public eye in BBC sitcom The Rag Trade, in 1961, and starred alongside Pat Coombs and June Whitfield in another comedy, Beggar My Neighbour, in 1966.
    In 1967, Varney opened the UK's first automatic cash dispenser in Enfield, north London.
    HAVE YOUR SAY
    I always find it upsetting when a comedian dies as they bring so much happiness to everyone.
    Andrew Lye, Pembrokeshire
    Send us your comments

The success of On The Buses saw him land his own, self-titled TV series, as well as roles in films Go For A Take and The Best Pair Of Legs In The Business.
    Later in his career Varney spent time in Australia and New Zealand, sometimes working as a pianist. A remake of On The Buses was mooted in 1990, but failed to be commissioned.
    Varney had lived in Devon for the past 20 years, and had lived alone since his wife Lilian died in 2002.
    He is survived by his daughter, two grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.

Source: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | On The Buses' Varney dies at 92

Re: Reg Varney, star of "On the Buses", RIP

Awww PJ will be devastated
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Rest In Peace Reg

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Me too.

Sadly I am from the "on the buses generation" and still enjoy watching the reruns.

Reg will be sadly missed.

The Ex Mrs Budgie now looks a lot like "Olive"

PMSL

Comment

I was expecting this comment....gotta admit I did think Jules would get in there first though lol

RIP dearest hubby xXx

Comment

msl: nice one

Originally posted by PJ69 View Post
            I was expecting this comment....gotta admit I did think Jules would get in there first though lol

RIP dearest hubby xXx
            Didn`t you know Ame has one half of my brain transplanted in her head.

I can just imagine you at the graveside PJ

RIP Reg, very funny alongside the rest of the cast.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X