• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fully Funded NHS Continuing Healthcare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully Funded NHS Continuing Healthcare

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but I'm sure it can be moved to somewhere more appropriate if I have got it wrong:tinysmile_grin_t:

Since June 2007 I have been fighting a battle on behalf of my father over who funds his nursing home costs. He is 85 now and he suffered a stroke in 1996 which affected his left side of the body. He now has vascular dementia and his short term memory is shot to pieces. He is no longer mobile and has to be hoisted in and out of bed. He had started to become increasingly aggressive in his behaviour. We had managed to get both my parents into very sheltered accomodation early last year, but in June Dad was taken into hospital. Once there it was decided that he could not go back to the sheltered accomodation as his health was too much for the staff there to cope with. It was decided he needed to go into a elderely mentally infirm (EMI) nursing home.

That's where the fun and games started. The NHS did an assessment and decided his needs were more social than health so that they would not fund his nursing home costs. So a long battle commenced to appeal against their decision. This was won in September of this year when I went to the Strategic Health Authority where the case was considered by a independent review panel. They decided the NHS should fund his care.

That is a very potted history indeed! There is a lot more to it than that but the main reason for my post is to point out a very good forum and also an internet site that would be of use to anyone who finds themselves (and their family) in the predicament we had to face 16 months ago.

The forum first:-

http://groups.msn.com/Freenursingcar.../messages.msnw

And the website:-

www.nhscare.info

If anyone would like more information I will be more than happy to expand on the specifics of my fathers case and the battle that I have had (which is still ongoing as they have decided to carry out a new assessment.

Other sites that will be of use are the Alzheimers Society and Age Concern.

Re: Fully Funded NHS Continuing Healthcare

Thanks BBB, I have read a elsewhere that people struggle with similar situations, excellent post.

Here are direct links for the other two.

Alzheimer's Society - Leading the fight against dementia

and

Home | Care Services for Elderly People: Health Insurance Cover for Over 50s | Age Concern England
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks very much for this

Only today My brother-in law has been having a similar problem with finding help for his mother who is about to be moved from hospital - and this will be of interest to him.
      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Scooby,

They should not move him from hospital until they have carried out a full assessment. This is covered under the Delayed Discharge Regulations of 2004. Also tell your brother in law not to sign any documents that they might have been given by social services. Tell social services that the matter is nothing to do with them while the NHS are doing their assessments.

If you have any other questions just ask away and I will be happy to help.

Comment

Thanks for that

It is his mother and she has very little short term memory and keeps falling over.

The hospital keep changing their mind about what care she needs which is difficult when they are trying to find a decent home near where they live in Devon.

The good thing is at the moment she is in a very good room with all mod cons in Oxford and they dont seem to be pushing her out at the moment.

My Brother-in-law is finding it hard to find somewhere decent for her and it has been quite distressing for them.

I will pass onyour info

Thanks again
          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

Scooby,

If your brother in law is looking to move his mother from Oxford to Devon then that could cause a few problems in the process. It is not straightforward, I recall there are some members on Steve Squires forum who might have gone through this process. Let me post a question up and see what info others have.

Comment

Scooby,

This is the first reply I have received:-

"I enquired about this with our PCT (because my parents were planning on moving house and relocating when my Dad had a massive stroke), and was told that the patient remained the responsibility of the "original" PCT for NHS CC. I'm pretty sure Age Concern have a leaflet on this, which concurred with the PCT.

After my Dad was awarded NHS CC, the PCT did offer in writing to contract with a home of our choice, outside of the area if we wanted. The PCT is in London - I live in a cheaper area and I think they were hoping I might move Dad nearer to me, saving them london prices!

Again, I am not sure if this is "general" - as I think it is up to the PCT to decide which homes they are willing to contract with, and some make block contracts with specific care homes. The PCT funding my Dad does not seem to do that. "

Comment

Ok, here are the other replies:-

"My in-laws lived in Rochdale when they both came to need full-time care. For family reasons we got them into a Home near Blackpool; in an entirely different PCT and then SHA.
                Although they were self funding (long story, and it was, posthumously, sorted) they were considered the responsibility of, and assessed for need by Rochdale PCT and Borough SS for the first 6 months, then transferred to Wyre PCT and Lancs County SS for the remainder of their lives. We had asked about "what happened if the SS needed to fund", as they only had a limited assets & income and there were two of them, and were assured that there was no problem. If and when they needed SS funding, if the Home was suitable for their needs, and was not way outside the normal range then it didn't matter where it was.

When, eventually we got costs refunded, both PCT's were involved.

And in my working life (a while ago now) it was not unusual for patients to be discharged from hospital to Homes outside their "home" PCT area, if only because there are more Homes in some areas than others."

"I think anyone who was placed 'out of area' prior to 1st April 2006 and who were re-registered with a local GP (attached to new care home) are the responsibility of the PCT where the G.P. is registered.

Somerset and Wiltshire argued for several months and it was Somerset who have footed the bill in the end (as the gentleman was placed in Somerset in Dec 2005) but had lived in Wiltshire all his life. The same applied to my father.

See below, Good Luck."

Cordelia
                www.dh.gov.uk/en/PublicationsAndStatistics/Publications/<WBR>PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4069634 - 16k

Comment

Thank you so much for your help that is very kind I will pass on the info and post back if there are any more questions

Scooby

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X