• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Some stupid questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some stupid questions

At the moment I am up to my eyes with problems at work and do not have time to read all the various reports etc about this crisis. But it is definitely hitting hard and fast.

I am a director of a small manufacturing company and today we have had two customers call in the administrators - so it is goodbye to a few thousand pounds and unwanted stock in our warehouse.

Apparently this is down to the banks looking at all individual companies and even if they are a going concern, if there is little or no security, they are calling in loans and OD.

I have a few basic questions

1) Were the banks being audited and showing losses last year or is this all a result of this years activity
    2) were they just lending money to eachother at vital year end dates to cover the losses
    3) were they setting up other hidden companies to cover up what was happening
    4) As tax payers are we really going to get anything back for the cash injections? Or any real say in how the banks conduct themselves in the future
    5) If there are going to be 2 million unemployed are we stopping all immigration NOW.
    6) If the government is going to have to support 2 million unemployed are they seriously going to look at community type jobs or maybe increase training places for teachers / nurses etc.
    7) is there a section of the community that could do with more assistance if they had to create jobs rather that just pay benefits? I am thinking specifically of the isolation and loneliness suffered by some pensioners in the UK.
    8) Is the government considering removing VAT for house improvement? If we can not build houses then maybe people would improve and that would be assisted by cheaper prices and provide work for the construction industry.
    9) Why do we need to build thousands more houses when we cant sell the ones we have?
    10) How can the government ask banks to lend at last years level when they can not know what 100% value of a property is let alone 125% ( bit of sarcasam there)
    11) If they lower interest rates too much will not investment flood out of the country and people who have saved and rely on the income be penalised?
    12) what happened about encouraging more shared ownership?
    13) why did councils have millions in icelandic banks when there are 4 years waiting lists for social housing and they are paying out huge sums to B&B landlords?

Sorry you doont really have to answer any Questions its just my mind is buzzing at the moment. I just want the government to get a grip and make positive moves that are radical .
    "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Re: Some stupid questions

4) 12% and it would appear as well dividends if there are any next year. still reading
    ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    10) I think Northern Rock may have been the only lender doing 125% mortgages. We can see what happened to them.
    11) Lower interest rates=more money in our pocket and should therefore lead to more spending and confidence leading to the economy getting better. However it will take time.
    1) the banks will have made losses last year and years previously but the amount of money made across various parts of the business would have shown a profit therefore 1billion pound loss plus 12 billion pound profit = 11 billion pound total profit(make sense?)
    Last edited by natweststaffmember; 15th October 2008, 16:44:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I think with point 10 they are trying to ask other banks to go back to say 95 or 100% mortgages but that must be difficult when house prices are still unstable and I am not sure that would be prudent - surely that is part of the reason we are where we are.
      Ps the new picture is an up to date one of my dog scooby doo - child number 3
      Last edited by scoobydoo; 15th October 2008, 16:49:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

Comment

NatWest went down to 75% loan to value so no doubt we will in all probability change that possibly as a result of the government injection and as a major institutional shareholder with 12% stake.

Comment

I would have thought maybe a change to 90% would be acceptable - in the old days you used to have to prove you could pay the mortgage by saving the deposit. Also I feel the salary ratio lending should have some kind of guideline or borrowers ahould fill in a standard signed I&E form to show they can afford payments

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X