• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DB Mortgages to compensate customers in arrears for unfair treatment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DB Mortgages to compensate customers in arrears for unfair treatment

We have fined DB Mortgages £840,000 for poor treatment of customers in arrears and for irresponsible lending practices. DB Mortgages must also write to affected customers and pay compensation, which it estimates will be at least £1.5m. Find out what to do if you have been affected.

DB Mortgages treated its customers unfairly when it failed to consider the individual circumstances of customers in arrears or tell them about the options available to them. The firm also applied charges in excess of the true cost of administering accounts in arrears and repeatedly charged fees to accounts in arrears.

On lending practices, DB Mortgages failed to:

look at whether there were cheaper deals available for customers seeking self-certified mortgages;
    show that customers could afford mortgages where the term continued into their retirement; and
    ensure customers with an interest-only mortgage had thought about where they would live if they had to sell their house to pay off the loan.
    What should you do next?
    DB Mortgages will contact all affected customers. However, if you have any queries you can call them on 0800 083 1203.

Firm hand
    Margaret Cole, managing director of enforcement and financial crime, said: ''This is the first time we have taken enforcement action against a firm for irresponsible mortgage lending. Firms need to understand that we will not tolerate lax lending practices and unfair treatment of customers in arrears.''

DB Mortgages has since made significant improvements to its arrears-handling procedures and worked with us in an open and cooperative way, which lead to a reduced fine under our settlement discount scheme.

Last updated: 22 February 2011

Source: DB Mortgages to compensate customers in arrears for unfair treatment
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: DB Mortgages to compensate customers in arrears for unfair treatment

This is Me!!!!

How can I get maximum compensation out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      We have fined DB Mortgages £840,000 for poor treatment of customers in arrears and for irresponsible lending practices. DB Mortgages must also write to affected customers and pay compensation, which it estimates will be at least £1.5m. Find out what to do if you have been affected.

DB Mortgages treated its customers unfairly when it failed to consider the individual circumstances of customers in arrears or tell them about the options available to them. The firm also applied charges in excess of the true cost of administering accounts in arrears and repeatedly charged fees to accounts in arrears.

On lending practices, DB Mortgages failed to:

look at whether there were cheaper deals available for customers seeking self-certified mortgages;
      show that customers could afford mortgages where the term continued into their retirement; and
      ensure customers with an interest-only mortgage had thought about where they would live if they had to sell their house to pay off the loan.
      What should you do next?
      DB Mortgages will contact all affected customers. However, if you have any queries you can call them on 0800 083 1203.

Firm hand
      Margaret Cole, managing director of enforcement and financial crime, said: ''This is the first time we have taken enforcement action against a firm for irresponsible mortgage lending. Firms need to understand that we will not tolerate lax lending practices and unfair treatment of customers in arrears.''

DB Mortgages has since made significant improvements to its arrears-handling procedures and worked with us in an open and cooperative way, which lead to a reduced fine under our settlement discount scheme.

Last updated: 22 February 2011

Source: DB Mortgages to compensate customers in arrears for unfair treatment

I’m in a terrible muddle about DB, who, regrettably, is my mortgage company.

I obtained it through a broker – it’s an interest only, self certified mortgage that goes way past my retirement age. The repayments are obscenely large.

They refuse to modify the mortgage (I.e., admit they’re committing daylight robbery and adjust the interest, etc.).

They are pressuring me into an assisted sale, as though it’s a good thing for me (failing to see that I’ll have nowhere to live once it’s sold) or they’ll enforce the repossession order.

They also keep promising to send me letters regarding arrears, unfair fees and lending into retirement, once they’ve agreed the wording with the FSA. When I ask them what, exactly, is in the letters (i.e., is there any indication the mortgage has been missold?), they lapse into doublespeak. The letters have been promised to me for the last five months – when I ask where they are, I’m told they are still in a ‘dialogue’ with the FSA about the wording. Apparently, the letters will be sent out by the end of this month. Which they said to me last month. And the month before.

I am BESIDE myself.

Can anyone advise me on this? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance!!

Bayley

Comment

Jumper999, what's your story? I'm desperate re mine. Bayley

Comment

Originally posted by Bayley View Post
          Jumper999, what's your story? I'm desperate re mine. Bayley

Hi Bayley, well my story is a lot more worse than yours and that I can say, nevertheless I do understand how you must be feeling.

Have you made any official complaints to them or the FOS yet?

Comment

Jumper, do you have a thread? Did they repossess you?

Did you make any official complaints - and, if so, did they have any impact?

Comment

Can anyone advice me on this? I am really being pressured.....thanks!

Comment

Would love to know if anyone has had any success under the DB mortgages 'redress program'?

My mortgage was sold way past my retirement age, but want to be careful in how I approach it!

Thanks!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X