• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Judgement on Thursday 24th April CONCLUSIONS and JUDGEMENT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judgement on Thursday 24th April CONCLUSIONS and JUDGEMENT

The handing down of judgment will be at the Royal Courts of Justice, court No 73. It's scheduled from 10am to 4.15pm.

COURT 73
    Before MR JUSTICE ANDREW SMITH
    Thursday 24 April 2008
    At 10:00
    For Judgment
    2007-1186 Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National PLC

There are an unspecified number of public and press places in the courtroom and depending on demand, there may be a feed room for overspill but RCJ are unable to confirm it as yet.

Prior to Thursday the 'embargoed judgment' is only going to a small number of the legal teams of each party but the banks and OFT themselves are not privy to it and will hear it first hand on Thursday.

There are a few Beagles members attending the hearing and information will be reported back to the site as soon as is possible.

Thanks to EXC.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 23rd April 2008, 13:34:PM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Judgement on Thursday 24th April Confirmed

Conclusion

449. As for the position at common law, I accept the Banks’ submission that none of the terms which I have considered (the terms now generally used by the Banks for personal current accounts other than basic accounts and also certain of the terms used until recently by Clydesdale and RBSG) could be unenforceable on the grounds that they are penal (paragraph 323 above).

450. With regard to the 1999 Regulations, I conclude that, of the terms now generally used by the Banks for personal current accounts (other than basic accounts), those of HSBC, Lloyds TSB, Nationwide and RBSG are in plain intelligible language, and those of Abbey, Barclays, Clydesdale and HBOS are largely in plain intelligible language but not so in certain specific and relatively minor respects (paragraph 293 above). However, I reject the Banks’ contention that the Relevant Terms are exempt from assessment as to fairness under Regulation 6(2) of the 1999 Regulations (paragraph 421 above). This does not mean that the Relevant Terms are necessarily to be regarded as unfair under Regulation 5(1) or that they are not binding upon consumers under Regulation 8(1): those are not questions for me to decide in this judgment. For the reasons that I have explained, I decline to make any declaration as to the meaning and effect of the requirement of good faith in Regulation 5(1) of the 1999 Regulations (paragraph 448 above).
    Last edited by Amethyst; 25th April 2008, 12:00:PM.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

The Judge will not be making a decision on any of the stayed cases until the case management hearing which will be held on the 22nd May.

Brian Doctors is ''unavailable'' today or for the foreseeable future.
      Last edited by Tools; 24th April 2008, 09:53:AM.
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

Conclusions about whether terms provide for sums to be payable upon breach
        323. I therefore conclude that none of these provisions which the OFT has identified means that the customer is under a contractual commitment such that Relevant Charges could be a penalty for breach of the commitment, and so unenforceable at common law. I have reached this conclusion without resort to Regulation 7(2) of the 1999 Regulations. However, if there were doubt about the meaning of these provisions, they would be given the interpretation most favourable to the consumer. This would mean that they would be construed so as to avoid customers being under any contractual commitment. (It might be suggested that it would be most favourable to consumers to interpret them so as to give rise to contractual commitments so that they might enjoy the common law protection relating to penalties. However, in my judgment, Regulation 7(2) operates similarly to the principle that a contract is to be construed contra proferentem. This does not mean that, if there is ambiguity, the court will invariably adopt the meaning that turns out in the circumstances that have arisen to be less favourable to the party putting the contractual terms forward, but simply that it will construe the contractual terms themselves so as to be the more
        MR JUSTICE ANDREW SMITH
        Approved Judgment
        OFT
        v
        Abbey National PLC & 7 ors.
        onerous upon him: see Skillion plc v Keltec Industrial Research Ltd, [1992] 1 EGLR 123 at p.126 per Knox J.)
        Last edited by Amethyst; 25th April 2008, 12:06:PM.

Comment

Conclusion about whether the fairness of the Relevant Terms is precluded from the assessment because they "relate....to the adequacy of the price or remuneration, as against the goods or services suplied in exchange"

I therefore conclude that the relevant terms are NOT exempt from assessment under the 1999 regulations. This does not seem to me suprising.

Comment

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/jud...ent_240408.pdf

lol saves typing

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X