• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Day 4 - OFT Test Case report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Day 4 - OFT Test Case report

Right I think I am with you.

The cheque is given to the person you are paying - thus you are promising YOU will pay it - so its not a promise that the bank will pay it.

Yes ? or no ? So once its sent to the bank its a request for them to make the payment on your behalf ? thus still a request to the bank ?

Sorry....
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

We are way off topic here....but...No. It is an instruction. The banks are acting on our instructions. We do not issue cheques and ask that the bank pay them, if they feel like it. We issue cheques and with that we issue an explicit instruction that the bank, acting for us pay the sum stated on the cheque.

Comment

hmmmm ok - sorry re the off topic bit. Think I need lessons.

How can we instruct the bank to pay an unguaranteed cheque when we have no funds in the account - or is that still illegal to do ? See in my mind that makes it a request. Legally it is deemed an explicit instruction which the bank must abide by. Ok.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Exc, can I ask you to check your notes on the above discussion and the one with the Barclays counsel, specifically on the part about instruction to pay with regards to Cheques and mandates for Direct Debits. Could you add to the part after Miligan has become slightly ruffled.

Comment

1. Provide a system of payment request i.e. cheque or direct debit. Available to all customers in the red or in the black.

2 Determine the validity of the payment request i.e. is the cheque signed? Done at the counter as with any other customer paying in a cheque that hasn't breached their contract.Is their a direct debit mandate? Once set up fully automated until changed by customer is it not.

3. All the payment requests are checked against funds available. Fully automated system

4. If insufficient funds are available the granting of an unauthorised overdraft is considered. This consideration is a contractual obligation. Fully automated syste

5. If granted, Always granted because you use it to make money/profit a letter of notice of an unauthorised overdraft stating the terms is provided. Fully automated system

’the threshold - £5 - you need to cross before a charge is triggered’’. Triggered by the fully automated system PMSL

Comment

is it fully automated per chance Tanz ?

#staysafestayhome

Comment

I think it may well be lol

Comment

I wish I could say it was not ALL automated but we are in a computerised age in which programs are the factors that determine payment or otherwise. Reports are provided for customers in the RED and when payments are refused but everything is AUTOMATED. not much to add really to Tanz

Comment

I was thinking/hoping you'd agree nattie :-)

Comment

I was trying not to but I could not think of anything which required specifically PEN and INK and no computer process. There is none.

Comment

Well the gauntlet is more of a mitten so far really then isn' it peeps.

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
                          I'm sorry Ame, in the what?

A cheque (and also a direct debit) falls with the ambit of an instruction and forms part of the contractual obligation that a bank owes it's client.

It is never a request to pay, this has been established over a long period of time. For example, cheques are still governed by a statute from the Nineteenth Century titled the Bills of Exchange Act 1882. For most purposes, cheques are lumped in with even more esoteric documents such as promissory notes and bills of exchange and that provides a form of consumer protection not afforded anywhere else in the banking world.

Under the 1882 Act, cheques are contracts in themselves. They are a promise by the drawer of the cheque that the the payee will be paid the money as stated on the cheque itself. This is so irrespective of the purpose for which the cheque is paid, with only very limited exceptions.

If a cheque, or indeed a Direct Debit were merely a request, then this could not be the case.

The banks know this, more recent confirmation was stated in Barclays Bank v Simms [1980]

Agreed:okay: - A cheque is not unlike a bank note which promises to pay the presenter & is signed in the name of the Bank of England or Scotland as the case may be

Comment

Nattie

Milligans respone to ''isn't a cheque an intruction, not a request?'' from what I can remember was long winded but I don't think he gave a definitive answer. Sorry!

Ame

There were about 8 in the feed room. The BBC guy told me the 11 press hearing places are not used as it's easier to follow the hearing in the feed room.

Tanz

The ''throwing down the guantlet'' quote by Milligan highlighted in the BBC's report was a reference to the common law element of current stayed claims. The banks will now argue that because regulations and directives deal specificaly with penalties/unfairness, they supercede common law.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X