• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DAY 2 - OFT Test Case - as it happens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DAY 2 - OFT Test Case - as it happens

Just to throw this into the pot for discussion.

Originally posted by EXC then Cited by Belibaste on [URL="http://www.consumercreditsupport.co.uk"
    www.consumercreditsupport.co.uk[/URL]]
    "The judge said he wants to ‘’establish the principals of current T&C’s and apply those principals to historical terms and conditions‘’. The OFT’s QC who spoke for the first time in the hearing said that ''for the purposes of this hearing, the OFT’s main interest is current T&C’s''. And the bank’s seem to be keen to introduce as many historical T&C’s into the equation as the judge would allow. The judge eventually decided that the banks should choose one historical set per bank. after it seemed that neither party or the judge was keen to make the selection"

Originally posted by Belibaste
    - ah, I think that if we break down this part, if my understanding is correct, the judge seems to wants to apply any judgements made on the current T&Cs to the historical T&Cs - the OFT don't want him to do that. Many of the banks have changed their T&Cs so, if the judge views the charges in the current T&Cs as services, it would be in the bank's interests if this view also applied retrospectively.

Comment

Re: DAY 2

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
      Tanz, do you happen to have T & C's for Halifax for 1990 within your collection.

Ta.
      DSxx
      Hi DS,

All I have re Halifax are:

Cardcash March 1999
      Special + Banks Account Conditions May 2002
      And some from 2004

Comment

Originally posted by TANZARELLI View Post
        Hi DS,

All I have re Halifax are:

Cardcash March 1999
        Special + Banks Account Conditions May 2002
        And some from 2004
        Hi Tanz

Would it be possible for you to make the above T&C'S available to all our members???? if they aren't already

Comment

To add to phoenix`s request, if anyone has copies of their Terms & Conditions for any bank , credit card ,loan agreement etc could they please post them here>>>Banks Terms and Conditions and Standard Contracts

A big tha
          nk you to everyone in advance.

Jules
          Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention (my memory is a concept of the distant past) that I thought was interesting was that the QC who was told by the judge that he would make a reccomendation to the County Courts on stays, subject to the outcome of the hearing, tried to convince the judge that the hearing had little relevence to the outcome as the current stayed claims had a very narrow focus (?).

The judge then revealed that he had not looked at any County Court claims or defences, ''not one''.

Though it may appear at least a little surprising I wouldn't read too much into it myself as I'm sure he'll need to see some before he makes any reccomendation.

Comment

I would be happy to supply the judge on my claim which has been stayed -Abbey's defence, which is totally different to the defence for this test case. Maybe then the Judge will see then what we are up against.
              DSxx

Comment

I bet you would TUTTSI !

But I'd imagine he'd consult a few cc judges first.

Comment

Do you think I could post him a copy of that defence, is that a possibility - Abbey have owned up to the breaches but just they could not be asked to supply a breakdown of their charging regime.

I am sure that the OFT are aware and maybe they will bring this up!!

Comment

I have the judges fax number if you wish TUTTSI ?
                    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Originally posted by thephoenix View Post
                      Hi Tanz

Would it be possible for you to make the above T&C'S available to all our members???? if they aren't already
                      Yes mate, I have already had a conversation with tools re this and am going to email the over the addy tools provided.

I have been a bit busy with one of my claims and work etc so not had chance yet.

It is in the pipeline mate. :okay:

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                        I have the judges fax number if you wish TUTTSI ?
                        ok pm me with the FAX number, I am up for it!!

But is it admisable!

Dsxx

Comment

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
                          ok pm me with the FAX number, I am up for it!!

But is it admisable!

Dsxx
                          It probably won't be as far as the hearing is concerned but in consideration of his reccomendation I don't see why not.

Go for it TUTTSI - there's nothing to lose.

Comment

Tuttsi did anyone on CCS send info re this to OFT prior to the start of the test case? I know we were going to but didn't here if it got sent.

Comment

Tanz,
                              Yes I think they did and as far as I know - no response as yet.

But there are definately some inconsistencies between the ABBEY and one of the other banks but cannot remember which Bank.

As I said if the Judge will read it I am quite happy to FAX to the Judge my Abbey defence if it will help the Judge to see the differences in the defences and help him with his judgement regarding the stayed claims and if anyone wants to do the same or if LB want to send them on behalf of their members with a suitable written letter I am cool with that.

DSxx

Comment

----- Original Message ----- From: EXC
                                To: clive.briault@fsa.gov.uk
                                Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:26 PM
                                Subject: CC Stays & Waiver

Dear Mr Briault

During the second day of the OFT test case hearing Justice Andrew Smith made clear his intention to make a recommendation to the County Courts on the status of current stays on bank charge cases, once a judgement had been made on the outcome of the hearing.

He also made it clear that any recommendation would be made regardless of any appeal to his judgement being made.

If, in the event that the judgement is found in favour of the Office of Fair Trading and a recommendation to the County Courts results in the stays being lifted, is it the FSA's intention to revoke the complaints handling waiver?

I would be very grateful if you could take the trouble to reply in person. There are a large number of poor and disadvantaged families who feel their banks have ripped them off and then been afforded the luxury of the cosy shelter your waiver provides them.

I look forward to a prompt and concise reply

Regards

EXC

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X