• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lloyds bank and the county courts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds bank and the county courts

Don't know if this is of interest to anyone but just read this statement on the lloyds tsb website:

'We be asking the County and Sheriff Courts to apply the Supreme Court judgment to dismiss any claims they currently have on hold.'

??

Re: Lloyds bank and the county courts

I am sure they are, but in the interest of justice, would this be fair?

See what others think?

Tuttsi

[quote=grimberz;139117]Don't know if this is of interest to anyone but just read this statement on the lloyds tsb website:

'We be asking the County and Sheriff Courts to apply the Supreme Court judgment to dismiss any claims they currently have on hold.'

??[/quote

Comment

This is the full questions and answers on LloydsTSB website:

"Answers to questions on bank charges

Summary of Supreme Court Judgment
      On 25 November 2009 the Supreme Court said that the level of unarranged overdraft charges is not assessable for fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. This means the banks have won their appeal and the test case has concluded.
      This is a final judgment from the Supreme Court as they have decided it is not necessary and/or not in the public interest to make any reference to the European Court of Justice.
      Q: What does this mean?
      The Supreme Court decided that an unarranged overdraft charge is a key part of a current account.
      This means that where the charges are explained in clear language, under consumer fairness legislation, the level of an unarranged overdraft charge can’t be challenged to see if it’s fair or not.
      Q: What happens next?
      While the Supreme Court judgment was a win for the banks, we acknowledge the concerns some of our customers have with these charges. We will work with the Financial Services Authority (FSA) to ensure the outstanding customer complaints are brought to a swift conclusion. We will also continue to work with the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to agree a positive way forward.
      Q: What does this mean for customers who have complaints about unarranged overdrafts on hold?
      During the test case, we agreed with the FSA and the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) that customer complaints relating to unarranged overdraft charges would remain on hold.
      As the judgment concludes the test case, the FSA has agreed that these complaints should no longer remain on hold.
      This means that for those customers who currently have an outstanding complaint about unarranged overdrafts, we’ll be writing to them shortly to let them know what today’s judgment means for them.
      We be asking the County and Sheriff Courts to apply the Supreme Court judgment to dismiss any claims they currently have on hold.
      Q: What will happen to new customer complaints about unarranged overdraft charges?
      As this judgment concludes the test case, the FSA has agreed that the waiver on bank charges complaint handling should be lifted. This means we will handle complaints through our standard process. We will continue to treat customers sympathetically who are vulnerable and in financial hardship.
      Q: Can I complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) about my unarranged overdraft charges?
      Yes. Where a customer’s complaint is not accepted by a bank, the customer has the right to take their complaint to the FOS.
      Q: How can customers avoid unarranged overdraft charges?
      We continue to provide our customers with the products and services to help them avoid unarranged overdraft charges. Find out more in Managing your overdrafts.
      Where can I find more information?
      The Financial Services Authority:
      www.fsa.gov.uk
      The Office of Fair Trading:
      www.oft.gov.uk
      The Financial Ombudsman Service:
      www.financial-ombudsman.co.uk
      The Supreme Court:
      www.supremecourt.gov.uk"

Comment

I don't fully understand how they can ask to have the cases thrown out as the supreme court hasn't ruled that the charges are fair, and that the banks hae broken any agreements/laws, just that the OFT can't judge on this...

Seems to me there jumping the gun a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by grimberz View Post
          I don't fully understand how they can ask to have the cases thrown out as the supreme court hasn't ruled that the charges are fair, and that the banks hae broken any agreements/laws, just that the OFT can't judge on this...

Seems to me there jumping the gun a bit...
          Other banks have yet to make a decision on this and LloydsTSB would appear to be the first bank to break rank and state this but this is early days so it may be better to give it a few days when more information becomes available.
          If they formally look to lift a stay in county court by you Grim, then please do contact site Admin or Site Team.

Comment

Thanks for comments, but no, I don't have claim with court... Though now, who knows..

Comment

Personally I think Lloyds are taking the P**s especially as they have not only had our money by way off extortionate charges but also an exceptionally large chunk of taxpayers money to bail them out.

I for one will tell them where to shove their account as and when this is all over.[ can't seem to get another account at the mo]

as I see it this is far from over and as has been said before that thisis the end of the beginning and NOT the begining of the end.

I am now waiting for the OFT to announce their next stratergy and hope that others also will wait, after all we have waited this long whats another few day/weeks going to do.
              Education is a fine thing Just so long as you can afford to live whist studying!!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Lloyds made a move that turned out to be totally unfair and/or illegal. Over the past month or so I have received two letters to tell me they are aware that I have a) made a claim against them and b)am in a position of financial hardship and therefore will put everything on hold...I have also received a couple of letters from the bank to say I have to pay them back or they will start court action....I have also received at least 3 letters from DCAs to say pay up or else.... I wonder if they actually know what's going on. With any luck the whole system will implode and they'll lose all our account details (or suddenly pay back all the money they owe us!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebell View Post
                  With any luck the whole system will implode and they'll lose all our account details (or suddenly pay back all the money they owe us!)
                  Bluebell I agree and all I can add is HERES HOPING LOL
                  Education is a fine thing Just so long as you can afford to live whist studying!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X