• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Foxtons cancel appeal of UTCCR ruling off back of Bank Charges Judgment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OFT v Foxtons - Landmark Judgment 10 July 2009

Story from the Times

Buy-to-let landlords can claim millions as Foxtons loses commissions case

Michael Herman, Rebecca O’Connor

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited { color:#06c; } Thousands of buy-to-let landlords could be in line to claim millions back from estate agents as a result of a landmark High Court ruling yesterday against Foxtons.
    Mr Justice Mann ruled that leasing agreements made by Foxtons, which operates mainly in London, unfairly overcharged commission to landlords. The Judge described Foxtons’ agreements as traps and timebombs.
    Foxtons, which lets some of the most expensive property in Central London, charged customers 11 per cent commission when a tenant continued to occupy the property for longer than the initial term of the lease, and an additional 2.5 per cent commission payment if a tenant agreed to buy the property from the owner.
    Foxtons was among many letting agents in London and the South East to run these agreements. As a result of the court ruling, landlords across the country can now issue proceedings to recover overpaid charges for the past 14 years on existing contracts.

A landlord renting out a typical two-bedroom property costing £15,000 a year would have paid Foxtons about £1,650 a year in commission. Over 14 years on an existing agreement this would entitle the landlord to reclaim an estimated £23,100.
    Britain has 1.15 million buy-to-let landlords and, given that many of the UK’s 15,000 letting agents impose similar charges to Foxtons, the ruling could give rise to total claims across the industry of £26 million.
    The National Landlords Association (NLA) hailed the decision as a victory.
    Foxtons said last night that it had voluntarily reduced its renewal commission charges for all customers but declined to say by how much.
    Michael Brown, the chief executive of Foxtons, said: “Today’s ruling brings clarity to an area which has been under dispute and which has created uncertainty for us and our whole industry.”
    Mr Justice Mann accepted the Office of Fair Trading’s contention that all of Foxtons practices brought before the court were unfair. These include requiring a landlord to pay substantial sums in commission where a tenant continues to occupy the property after the lease expires, requiring a landlord to pay commission to Foxtons even after it had sold the property and allowing Foxtons to receive a full estate agent’s commission for sale of the property to a tenant.
    Konnie Huq, the former Blue Peter presenter, who let properties through Foxtons and became the public face of a campaign against the agent, said that the ruling was “a great day for landlords”. She said: “Foxtons’ terms and conditions are totally unfair. They are earning money for nothing.”
    Mr Justice Mann found that the terms were not fair because they disadvantaged customers and were not prominently disclosed. It is still possible for letting agents to charge renewal commissions, but not set them out as Foxtons and others had done. The NLA said that, now that these terms must be prominently laid out, no landlord would sign up to them.
    John Spence, of Thomson Snell & Passmore, which represents landlords and lettings agents, said: “Private landlords who are in existing letting agreements with agents who are charging substantial renewal commissions similar to those used by Foxtons have a strong prospect of being able to successfully recover commissions they have paid to their agents.”
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

From the Judgment

1. It has been agreed that the precise form of relief should be determined once I have ruled on the fairness of the terms. That is a sensible course of action and I shall adopt it.
      Conclusions and consequences
      1. I therefore find all the relevant provisions to be unfair for the purposes of the Regulations. The parties are agreed that the consequences of that in terms of the relief to be granted should be the subject of further debate when my decision was known. There will be a further hearing for that purpose if the parties cannot agree on the point.

Will be interesting how the OFT deal with repayments and redress to the consumers as it may give some indications as to how they may handle the bank charges refunds if successful
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Just thoughts on this businessy type element.

In sole trader type accounts where the business is a small business which is not the individuals main occupation or business then they could be said to be acting outside of their trade, business or profession.

As the landlords are said to have been letting properties outside of their trade, business or profession as they held other jobs and letting property was an additional income or savings/pensions investment vehicle.

Additionally they are a significantly weaker party, terms arent individually negotiated as maybe they would in a supplier/business type contract, they use the accounts for personal as well as business transactions, and a combination of both (eg utilities payments where part is afforded accounting wise to the business and part to the individuals household accounts), and sometimes only have business accounts in order to pay in cheques from small/hobby type businesses.

A bank account is 'essential' and a consumer/business has to have one to conduct their affairs. (First National Bingham - Fair dealing requires that a supplier should not, whether deliberately or consciously, take advantage of the consumer's necessity, indigence, lack of experience, unfamiliarity with the subject matter of the contract, weak bargaining position or any other factor listed in or analogous to those listed in Schedule 2 to the Regulations.) Bank is significantly stronger party and businesses, particularly small/sole trader businesses, are for the purposes of the Directives in the same position as consumers. Maybe also the account holders are not bankers/financial thus outside their trade and should be treated as consumers in understanding contracts /terms. Bargaining power is presumptively weaker - ref Lord Bingham - FNB.

The terms in question are materially the same whether for a business account or a personal account and the banks argue this is the case as per barclays salford for the purposes of applying the penalty charges judgment in OFTvBanks.

If a notional lawyer looked over the contracts they would remove the terms as they create an imbalance against the consumer. (not sure about that part?)

Anybody think we're barking up random tree?
        Last edited by Amethyst; 11th July 2009, 09:00:AM.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Amethyst are those drugs still available?

Comment

I think we are on the right lines but we need to find a way to directly apply/argue this on a POC or defence. Any input from anyone would be gratefully received as we are not entirely sure this may apply.
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

EUR-Lex - 61998J0240 - EN

Oceano case mentioned with Bank Charges I

Comment

I guess Tools and I are talking out our bums again lol. We thought there may be a chink of light for business claimants in there.

Good news for ''hidden'' renewal commission ''victims'' tho, sounds like Foxtons are going to have to stump up a whack.
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

I think you & Tools may still have something. I think what is meant by a 'business' customer would be the critical factor

Comment

Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree doesn't this hinge on whether the operation of a business account would be considered an operation within the purposes of the business?

Running a business is offering services, goods, etc etc.

The setup of the economy means you 'must' have an account for the finances BUT the finances of the company aren't strictly your profession, your trade it's ancillary in many ways. The point made in FNB.

So surely there is a duality of read across.

Comment

Bit of info for people looking at Foxtons from the landlord/tenant perspective - The Landlord Law Blog: Letting agents - instead of renewal fees
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

The Landlord Law Blog: Advice for landlords seeking to recover commission post OFT v. Foxtons

Advice for landlords seeking to recover commission post OFT v. Foxtons
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hate that analogy with reference to this:

"However I am not so sure that the House of Lords (or the Supreme Court as we will shortly have to call it) will feel very happy about coming to a similar sort of decision in the banks case, if this will require banks to pay back millions of pounds in charges to customers, at a time when most of the banks are still a bit fragile after the crash. It is not unknown for HL decisions to be influenced by politics (for example Lord Hoffmans judgement in Birmingham City Council v. Oakley [2001]). "

Comment

thought you;d like that, not a lot lol.

that case seems to have been about location of a toilet ? but then I havent read it all to see the significance of politics influencing the judgment.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              thought you;d like that, not a lot lol.

that case seems to have been about location of a toilet ? but then I havent read it all to see the significance of politics influencing the judgment.
                              Don't go there, lol

Comment

Lord Hoffman(also a judge in OFT test case)....

"My Lords,
                                On the surface, this does not look like a very momentous case. The question is whether Mr and Mrs Oakley's landlord should have provided her with a basin in the WC. The statute which they say made it necessary to instal one is ambiguous. The language is capable of bearing such a construction. On the other hand, it is very unlikely that this was what Parliament intended. So the courts have a choice. If they say that Mr and Mrs Oakley should have had a basin, landlords of old houses and flats all over the country will have to instal them. Local authorities and housing trusts will have to incur very considerable expense. Under the surface, therefore, the case raises a question of great constitutional importance. When it comes to the expenditure of large sums of public and private money, who should make the decision? If the statute is clear, then of course Parliament has already made the decision and the courts merely enforce it. But when the statute is doubtful, should judges decide? Or should they leave the decision to democratically elected councillors or members of Parliament?"

Result: Appeal allowed 3:2

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X