• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Foxtons cancel appeal of UTCCR ruling off back of Bank Charges Judgment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OFT v Foxtons

Originally posted by EXC View Post
    Judgment tomorrow.

Before LORD JUSTICE WALLER Vice President of the Court of Appeal, Civil Division
    LADY JUSTICE ARDEN and
    LORD JUSTICE MOORE-BICK
    Not Before 10:15
    FOR JUDGMENT
    APPEAL
    From The Chancery Division
    FINAL DECISIONS
    A3/2008/1939 The Office of Fair Trading -v- Foxtons Limited. Appeal of Claimant from the order of Mr Justice Morgan, dated 17th July 2008, filed 7th August 2008.
    ANY NEWS EXC?
    The charges coming in to the banking industry every day will more than pay the banks total legal bill for the whole test case so why wouldn’t the Banks want to "ensure Justice at the highest level"

Comment

Nope. Been keeping an eye on the judicial site but it's not been posted up yet. If you'd like to take over share judgment watch duty it's all yours!

http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/judgment...ents/index.htm

Comment

The Office of Fair Trading: OFT welcomes Court of Appeal Judgment in Foxtons case on Unfair terms

Is that this one?

Comment

Well done Nattie.

Excellent result!

Comment

Good news, hopefully they will post up the full judgment on the judiciary site at some point which should clear some bits up.

Main point from the OFT article - read across to charges is quite obvious.

During the preliminary stages of these proceedings the OFT appealed against a ruling by Mr Justice Morgan which accepted arguments from Foxtons that any injunction on unfair terms could only apply to future contracts, rather than preventing the use or enforcement of unfair terms in existing ones.

Today, the Court of Appeal overturned this ruling, confirming the OFT's long-held view that it can take enforcement action under the UTCCRs to protect consumers in relation to both existing and future contracts. The Court of Appeal stated that the UTCCRs aim to protect consumers, and were of the view that traders should not have the freedom to pursue existing customers without restriction, in correspondence or by litigation, in order to enforce contractual terms that have been found to be unfair.

The fairness of the terms in any Foxtons' contract themselves have not yet been considered and this will form the substantive case listed in the High Court during the week commencing 27 April.
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Well done Nattie.

Excellent result!
              I was ermmm tipped off by ermm someone else :o

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                Good news, hopefully they will post up the full judgment on the judiciary site at some point which should clear some bits up.

Main point from the OFT article - read across to charges is quite obvious.

Yes and it does beg the question of how 'current' is defined. The terms at the point the UTCCR investigation began? Or when the litigation agreement was signed? Or the terms considered in the initial hearing? Or the terms at the point any judgment was given?

Comment

Should come up in the full judgment text.

with ref to the test case on charges....

When we have talked before about the OFT powers being non retrospective, it now through this seems they can enforce on existing contracts, which will be any contract signed prior to the beginning of the test case so they can now enforce retrospectively can't they ? They can't chase debt built up from unfair terms in existing contracts (so all bank account charges(ok jumping gun and saying they will be deemed unfair) - so although it may not mean they can order repayment, they can stop the banks from enforcement of those charges ?

Or am I being over excitable lol.
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

it now through this seems they can enforce on existing contracts, which will be any contract signed prior to the beginning of the test case .
                    If that was the case it would encompass all contracts going back hundreds of years though wouldn't it?

But as you say the Foxtons judgment might shed some light on it. I've asked Tom what implications the ruling might have on the test case.

Comment

If that was the case it would encompass all contracts going back hundreds of years though wouldn't it?
                      Well those still in existence
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Well those still in existence
                        I am sure they could be reconstructed if need be

Comment

Ame I hope I'm wrong but think you are getting a bit over excited here. I suggest chewing on a bit of straw liberally laced with an industrial grade large mammal tranquiliser.

Comment

Ame I hope I'm wrong but think you are getting a bit over excited here. I suggest chewing on a bit of straw liberally laced with an industrial grade large mammal tranquiliser.
                            pmsl sounds like a plan....I'll stick to me FROA oi less of the mammal (well okay I am a mammal but not a particularly large one)
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ooops didn't mean it like that. Where's the naughty step again Tools?

Comment

Underneath my backside as usual.
                                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X