• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discussion: Bank Charges, OFT Test Case and the Credit Crunch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion: Bank Charges, OFT Test Case and the Credit Crunch

Source:http://www.independent.co.uk/money/i...ga-958353.html

Crunch point in charges saga

Will the banks fight to the last on unauthorised overdraft fees or will they have to recognise that customers are now their shareholders?
    By Julian Knight
    Sunday, 12 October 2008

The Government's bailout plan for British banks could have major consequences for the continuing campaign for the return of unauthorised overdraft fees. Currently, seven banks and the Nationwide are set to appeal through the High Court against the right of the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to rule on whether the levying of fees – sometimes as high as £35 a time – on customers who go overdrawn without permission is fair or unfair.
    The charges net the banks an estimated £2.6bn a year but have been the subject of a consumer rebellion, with thousands threatening to take their banks to county court for recovery of fees levied over the past six years. Yet these claims have been put on ice, with the blessing of the Financial Services Authority, as the banks have been allowed to conclude their case with the OFT.
    The banks lost in the High Court in April and are poised to appeal. A result is not expected until next year, although a seperate ruling given last week by the judge in the case may allow banks to dismiss many of the consumer claims currently put on ice. But the original ruling that the OFT has a right to decide on the fairness or otherwise of unauthorised overdraft fees remains untouched.
    Nevertheless, with many of the banks involved in the case likely, in the future, to be partly owned by the Government, there are growing calls for a quick settlement. "We now have different branches of the Government, the OFT and some of the banks fighting each other, very expensively, in the courts," says David Kuo from financial advice site Fool.co.uk. "The Government, with the extra power it will wield, should tell the banks to drop this time-wasting case and return the money illegally taken from consumers. The banks have to realise that the same customers they have been routinely overcharging for years are now their shareholders and should be treated better," he adds.
    Neil Clarke, director at independent financial advice firm Lucas Fettes, says the way banks treat their customers will have to change, and this could start with the charges issue: "Post-bailout, I reckon people are going to be less tolerant of being told what they should do by the banks and the charges they should pay. However, a lot is still up in the air. We don't know how much involvement the Government is going to have day to day," adds Mr Clarke. "Will they just move against executive pay and dividends, as they have said, or go further?"
    With banks short of ready cash and the cost of refunded charges likely to run into the billions, there is a big incentive for them to resist outside pressure and fight till the end.
    "I fully expect them to continue because it's even more in their interests, with the credit crisis, to delay the inevitable," says Chris Warner, campaigns lawyer from consumer group Which?. "They may have made the commercial decision that it's best to lose in two years' time rather than six months as it would damage their balance sheets."
    Mr Warner adds that once the appeal is concluded, the parties may carry on their battle in the House of Lords.

What does everyone think about this?

Re: Discussion: Bank Charges, OFT Test Case and the Credit Crunch

The comments that peoples claims are at risk because of the ruling about terms being penalties in misguided in my opinion. All personal current account claims incorporate the UTCCR 1999 into them. The court has ruled current terms may be assessed for fairness under the UTCCR and it is fully expected to rule the same for historical terms. IF the court doesn't rule that THEN claims MAY be at risk.

The OFT has already written to the banks regarding the terms they believe are unfair and banks are changing their terms so they may be deemed as fair.

I don't know what will happen with regards to refunding the charges to the consumers. I suspect the law will be looked at again and the level of charge somehow allowed to be reduced to the fair amount (or what is judged to be say £8) and the difference historically refunded plus compensatory interest on application to the banks. As things stand if the terms is unfair the entire charges should be returned, if reg 4 ~(I think) re the proportionality of the charge to the cost of the service is deemed to be the case then I believe it will mean the difference being refunded.

And the figures involved, and the number of people who will actually reclaim, will be a teeny drop in the ocean for the banks in the grand scheme of things currently.

Just my thoughts anyway.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Discussion: Bank Charges, OFT Test Case and the Credit Crunch

Thanks NWSM,

does make you wonder doesn't it. I would agree that they will have made a commercial decision to defend to the end. I only hope the OFT appeals agaist the recent ruling on historicals also.

http://www.penaltyactiongroup.co.uk/...HSBCBreach.pdf

Breach of contract = Penalty

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X