• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wrong data held by Expedia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong data held by Expedia

A few weeks ago my wife made a group booking for herself and group of friends to the USA (on the 10th anniversary of the bloody awful day too).
    She did the same last year and found out before the flights that a name had been spelt wrongly and it cost her £40 to change it as Expedia just passed the airline charge to her.
    This time, despite several phonetically spelt name checks by her they've spelt two names wrongly. I was with her while she did this and listened very carefully as the operator at the other end didn't appear to have English as his first language. Anyway, even while he was on the phone, he sent out the email with the details of the names etc and we could see that despite only being told less than 2 minutes beforehand that the names were wrongly spelt they still appeared wrongly spelt.
    He was advised of this immediately and he said this would be taken care of.
    After a few weeks it became obvious that nothing had been, or was likely to be, done to rectify this.
    She contacted Expedia and asked them what they were doing about it and they acted surprised at the mistakes. They said they would listen to the recording and give us an answer on whose fault it was. We knew all along that it was theirs but gave them leave to confirm it.
    Naturally we got a denial of their liability. We objected again and told them we just knew we did this correctly and they went off to listen to the recording again as if they hadn't listened properly, or at all in the first place.
    Then they came back and admitted to a single name error. Now we know that both names were spelled out one after the other, not once or twice but several times.
    In any case they told us they would pay for one name change if we agreed to pay for the other.
    I certainly don't agree. The mistakes were theirs pure and simple so I asked for a copy of the recording. they asked for a tenner to have it sent out.
    I thought better of this as it still wouldn't necessarily get them to change their mind even if we found the evidence that we know exists.
    So, thinking of the Data Protect Act would I be correct in assuming they have a legal obligation to rectify any data held in this situation. They are certainly in breach of the need to keep accurate and up to date information. and as far as I can see they are also demanding payment to change a second name before they'll change the other although they've already admitted liability for that mistake.
    I accept they can charge to release the recording but doubt as to whether they can demand payment to correct their records, and subsequently the data sent to the airlines.
    I have placed on them a formal notice to make the changes to comply with the DPA telling them I will be happy to take this to tribunal where a commissioner can listen to the full recording but in the meantime they are obliged to make the changes and if they canprove that it was my wife who was in the wrong they could pursue us in a civil court to reimburse the amount they have lost as a result. I know that we didn't make a mistake though so am not at all worried about that.
    So what's the full legal situation here. Are my assumptions and actions correct and is there any case history of a similar nature that anyone knows of.
    Tags: None

Re: Wrong data held by Expedia

Hi Lynnzer,

Case law isn't necessary - this is covered by legislation.
    Hope this helps:-

Data protection principles
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      Hi Lynnzer,

Case law isn't necessary - this is covered by legislation.
      Hope this helps:-

Data protection principles
      That's what I thought really.
      There's a legal requirement to correct erroneous details without demand for payment to do so.
      I was just thinking that something similar may have already been tried at tribunal and ruled on. It would add weight to my demands to what appears to be complacent people. 2 days now and they haven't even responded to the email to acknowledge receipt.

Comment

I don't know of any specific case law - usually, breaches are reported to the ICO, who investigate the complaint &, if upheld, will take appropriate action.
        They do 'name & shame', though, & current & archived information can be found at
        http://www.ico.gov.uk/news/press_releases.aspx

Or you could try using their 'search' facility.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Resolved.
          After my "official warning" to correct the details under Principle 4 of the DPA they sent it to the Escalations Dept who have corrected the details. No charge.
          I spoke with someone at the ICO office who didn't seem to be 100% sure of their responsibility. Although they are liable to change the names to correct the records the ICO seemed to think they may have recourse to charge for changing booking details nevertheless. I don't agree though and would have liked this to have gone to Tribunal to test this. Anyway all settled so anyone else suffering the same sort of fate can take similar action.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X