• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is this a breach of DPA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a breach of DPA

A friend of ours was intending to set up a website, and we've been out of touch for a few months, so we did a search on her name. Lo and behold what came up on the first page of google was an entry from her local council which consisted of a PDF copy of her tenancy agreement. This is an agreement between her and a private landlord, so we cannot understand why it would be on a council site. Regardless, this would seem to be a breach of DPA.

Any opinions as to the seriousness of this.

Note she is self employed so any clients/potential clients may well find this...
    I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!
    Tags: None

Re: Is this a breach of DPA

What details were on the agreement? If just name and address I wouldn't worry too much, if repayment history, bank details etc.... then it is serious. The council presumably have it for CT reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post
      A friend of ours was intending to set up a website, and we've been out of touch for a few months, so we did a search on her name. Lo and behold what came up on the first page of google was an entry from her local council which consisted of a PDF copy of her tenancy agreement. This is an agreement between her and a private landlord, so we cannot understand why it would be on a council site. Regardless, this would seem to be a breach of DPA.

Note she is self employed so any clients/potential clients may well find this...
      Can you send me a private message with the link because without seeing the context of it, it is difficult to say if it is a breach of the Data Protection Act. On the face of it, it does appear to be a breach of the data protection act but context would help.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Animal the answer is yes but her information is freely available under other website, ie name and address, etc, etc,
        However it is for her to complain about a breach of Data Protection Act and not yourself but you can make her aware of it though.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by Animal View Post

I rather suspect she wants her clients and potential clients to find her, don't you?

The Tai Chi Union For Great Britain

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
            I rather suspect she wants her clients and potential clients to find her, don't you?

The Tai Chi Union For Great Britain
            Yes, but I doubt she wants them to find details of her tenancy agreement :-)
            I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              Animal the answer is yes but her information is freely available under other website, ie name and address, etc, etc,
              However it is for her to complain about a breach of Data Protection Act and not yourself but you can make her aware of it though.
              Thanks Leclerc,

Yes, we are making her aware of it, but wanted to add whether it's worth a complaint.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X