• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contemporaneous notes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemporaneous notes

Hi,

Would be grateful for confirmation on a couple of points:

I understand contemporaneous notes to be the original notes taken for example PACE note book. If those notes are subsequently transferred to a computer, it is still the original notes that are contemporaneous and not those that have been transferred to a computer.

Specifically is there any legislation or court case that confirms the above?

Regards
    Mac

Re: Contemporaneous notes

If it is for a court case, then I would expect the party requiring the original notes could get them under disclosure to rule out any transfer errors that might have taken place - especially if he disputes the computer record is a true copy of the PACE entries. The originals have to be kept so they will be available.

I don't know how it stands under the DPA, they may well cite disprop effort saying its faster and easier to get them off the computer, but I expect there would be an argument to obtain originals under DPA too.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying. Maybe I phrased my question badly, am I right in saying the original notes are contemporaneous and not the computer entries?

And is there legislation on this?

Regards
      Mac

Comment

Ahhh ok.

I really don't know on the Data Protection Angle, it should be everything that is held, so if notes are held they should be copied and sent, as well as the other record held on the computer.

For admission as evidence see Criminal justice Act 2003

129 Representations other than by a person
        (1) Where a representation of any fact—
        (a) is made otherwise than by a person, but
        (b) depends for its accuracy on information supplied (directly or
        indirectly) by a person,
        the representation is not admissible in criminal proceedings as evidence of the
        fact unless it is proved that the information was accurate.
        Last edited by Amethyst; 9th September 2010, 15:45:PM.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

Thank you for that, I think will be useful.

Regards
          Mac

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X