• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA group (appealed) on limitation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update - It appears that the appeal failed and the court has stood by the ruling that Limitations runs from the date of Default as the cause of action. Awaiting a copy of the Judgment.

THE MASTER OF THE ROLLS' COURT COURT 71
    Before THE MASTER OF THE ROLLS
    LORD JUSTICE FLAUX and
    LORD JUSTICE PETER JACKSON
    Wednesday, 16th January, 2019
    At half-past 10

APPEAL
    From County Courts
    FINAL DECISIONS
    B2/2018/0006 PRA Group (UK) Limited -v- Doyle. Appeal of Defendant from the order of His Honour Madge, dated 12th December 2017, filed 28th December 2017.

COURT 71
    Before THE MASTER OF THE ROLLS
    LORD JUSTICE FLAUX and
    LORD JUSTICE PETER JACKSON
    Wednesday, 23rd January, 2019
    At 10.15
    FOR JUDGMENT
    APPEAL

From County Courts
    FINAL DECISIONS
    B2/2018/0006 PRA Group (UK) Limited -v- Doyle. Appeal of Defendant from the order of His Honour Madge, dated 12th December 2017, filed 28th December 2017.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Judgment available http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2019/12.html
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Haven't read to see if there is comment on the BMW case but will read later tonight or tomorrow.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

It’s a shame. I seem to remember reading years ago about when the the limitations started and the advice then was it was default date.

Thats me buggered then if Cabot come after me- they own two debts of mine

Comment

Originally posted by Matty B View Post
            It’s a shame. I seem to remember reading years ago about when the the limitations started and the advice then was it was default date.

Thats me buggered then if Cabot come after me- they own two debts of mine
            not necessarily.
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

not necessarily.
              Care to enlighten peep/us Paul?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post

Care to enlighten peep/us Paul?
                Well, the notice is part of the cause of action, it will have to be pleaded, produced, compliant etc, how many claims do we see without any mention of the notice at all?
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Well, the notice is part of the cause of action, it will have to be pleaded, produced, compliant etc, how many claims do we see without any mention of the notice at all?
                  Thankyou for the information Paul, good points raised there.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post

Thankyou for the information Paul, good points raised there.
                    i have a few more, but im keeping my powder dry at the moment as i have a hearing on the horizon that may be reported and may be helpful, if the arguments im using succeed

Comment

Does anyone think there is another reason as to why claimants have stopped saying Defaulted and mentioning the Default Notice being served in their particulars of claim, rather than my initial thought that it was to sidestep the CPR31.14 request for docs mentioned ? (ie not just restons)

eg:
                      LOWELL via Lowell Solicitors
                      Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
                      1. the defendant opened a Aqua regulated consumer credit account under reference xxxx on 26/06/2014 (“the Agreement”)
                      2. in breach of the agreement, the defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the agreement was terminated.
                      3. The agreement was later assigned to the claimant on 21/07/2016 and written notice given to the defendant.
                      4. Despite repeated requests for payment, the sum of £1800 remains due and outstanding. And the claimant claims

a) the said sum of £1800

b) interest pursuant to s69 Count Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue, accruing at a daily rate of £0.381, but limited to one year, being £140.

c) costs
                      CABOT via Mortimer Clarke
                      by an agreement between Lloyd’s bank & the defendant on or around 10/12/1999 (‘the agreement’) Lloyd’s bank agreed to issue the defendant with a credit card. The defendant failed to make the minimum payments due & the agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 2200 2. Costs
                      and how can defendant's use the lack of pleading on default notice to their advantage ( without risking a £255 spend on an application to strike as I fear that can just result in amended pleadings )

current example defence contains this

It is denied that [Original Creditor]served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Does anyone think there is another reason as to why claimants have stopped saying Defaulted and mentioning the Default Notice being served in their particulars of claim, rather than my initial thought that it was to sidestep the CPR31.14 request for docs mentioned ? (ie not just restons)

eg:
                        LOWELL via Lowell Solicitors

CABOT via Mortimer Clarke

and how can defendant's use the lack of pleading on default notice to their advantage ( without risking a £255 spend on an application to strike as I fear that can just result in amended pleadings )

current example defence contains this

It is denied that [Original Creditor]served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.
                        Im afraid it is the £255 option but the Court said in Doyle, it would be an Unanswerable strike out, that is as close as you can get to a nailed on outcome isnt it. Obviously the facts of each case would need careful consideration but really if the Defendant hasnt been served with a valid notice then there is no cause of action ie no claim or no right to bring the claim

Comment

And it has to be rectified BEFORE issuance of the claim. They can't serve a new DN after a claim has been issued.

Just to be sure.

Also termination - okay on loans etc but on credit cards that are terminated ( maybe due to a cifas marker / change in circs etc rather than missed payments ) the termination notice is required - but when would cause of action be ?

#staysafestayhome

Comment

And it has to be rectified BEFORE issuance of the claim. They can't serve a new DN after a claim has been issued.

Just to be sure.

Also termination - okay on loans etc but on credit cards that are terminated ( maybe due to a cifas marker / change in circs etc rather than missed payments ) the termination notice is required - but when would cause of action be ?
                            I think the Doyle judgment sets this out clearly, it is of course right to look at the terms of the individual agreement but the provision of s87 CCA makes clear that the notice is necessary before the entitlement to terminate arises due to breach of contract

Comment

Thanks Paul. Just checking xxx
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thanks Paul. Just checking xxx
                                no worries, its a real ballache that consumers have to make applications, although i have seen the Courts strike out claims which have no chance of success without an application. People could print off the judgment, and write to the court saying that the claim should be struck out, the Court could do it, but they may still want an application

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X