• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Civil Recovery Fines and Identity Theft? HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civil Recovery Fines and Identity Theft? HELP

Hi,

I urgently need help with the following situation.

I am a student in England and am extremely broke. Like extremely.

Last week I was caught shop lifting in Sainsburys (food so I can eat). I had had my purse stolen / lost earlier in the week so did not have my ID or bank card or anything to identify myself. I was using an old purse of my sister's which had her ID in it. So, being the disgusting human being my circumstances have made me become, was let off but my sister has now been issued a Civil Recovery letter and a fine of £150 pounds.

She didn't know about the event until she got the letter and called up the company to say it wasn't her. They advised her to rip up the letter and ignore it.

I want to call them up and say it was me, but I have been caught shoplifting before and am worried if I admit guilt they will know my name and, as a second offender, call the police.

So my questions are:
    1) if i pay the fine under my sister's name, what will happen? Will she get a criminal record? (The police were not involved)
    2) If i leave the letter and don't pay the fine, will they pursue identity theft allegations? How easily will they be able to track me down?
    3) If i call them and say it was me and then pay the fine, what will happen?

I don't want to tarnish my sister's future in any way, but nor do I want to go to jail.

Please help me. I feel disgustingly ashamed and horrified at my behaviour.
    Tags: None

Re: Civil Recovery Fines and Identity Theft? HELP

Ignore it all they cannot claim anything off your sister and they don't know who you are put this down to being stupid once and never do anything like it again

Comment

But I (stupidly - SO stupidly) stole from primary, which is situated just next door and in that incident gave my real name. The same security guard saw me... Will they bother to check and pursue it?

Comment

Most unlikely.
        Presumably the civil recovery letter came from a third party firm (I believe Sainsburys farm it out to DWF) and they are only interested in scaring peeps into paying their dreamt up losses.
        For goodness sake, don't rush off to tell them who you are
        If they should approach your sister again, she should ignore the letter.
        The only time a response is needed is if GENUINE court papers are received.

Comment

If I just pay will the matter be closed? I don't know if I can manage the threat of it looming over me constantly. I would rather pay and it be resolved than have it haunting me.

Also goods were taken - they got it all back (but the value of food I attempted to take was £30 odd).

What happens if it goes to court?

Sorry for all the questions; I am hating myself at the moment.

Comment

It won't go to court!
            Sainsburys lost nothing, so can claim nothing in a civil court.
            Police weren't involved and it's a bit late for Sainsburys to call them in now, so there will be no criminal charges.

You said you had no money for food, and that is why (understandably) you stole to eat.
            How do you propose paying this unenforceable charge (it's not a fine)?
            It will go away if you pay it, but it will also go away eventually if you just ignore it and get on with your life.
            The choice is yours:tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Does your sister know that it was you?

Whilst I agree with all that's been said above, I would think it a good idea (if you haven't yet) to tell her in case she starts to worry about the id theft - and then, I guess, respect her wishes as to course of action.

Comment

Yes she knows the truth and is adamant (rightly) that nothing should be done in her name.

If I pay the fine, I will just do it in her name. I will struggle for money but will manage (not by stealing!) and would sleep better with peace of mind. Just run the risk of it tarnishing her???? Will it?

Comment

It may sound daft, but I'd've thought it would be more likely to "tarnish" her if you did pay. As things stand, she has nothing to do with it - someone gave her name but she did nothing & therefore can be liable for nothing.

Leaving aside that it's not legitimate for them to demand money in the first place.

If you want to do something to atone, don't do it for the nasty bunch that are Civil Recovery - it'll only encourage them.

Comment

Go and see your GP and see if you can get a voucher for the food bank. Check locally and at home to see if there any charitites locally you can apply to . Sometimes a village will have a combined charity and are able to dish out small sums(£5) to people who need it .

Comment

So I should just leave it? Will they keep sending letters to my home?

Comment

Ignore them . Unless or until you receive a real court document. If that happens come back for good advice. What the company has issued is a speculative invoice. They claim that you owe them money for doing their job. The letters are long and full of legalese . These letters are there to frighten you into paying . Sainsbury's lost nothing all the goods were returned in saleable condition . No police were called . The recovery company did the job they get paid for . Keep all the letters but Ignore them .

Comment

You may want to search on the forum for RLP. It is the same type of company, writing threatening letters hoping to get people to pay for imaginary losses.

The courts agreed they are imaginary losses when RPL took someone to court. RLP got a ticking off from the court.

Comment

I cant sleep - I am sick with worry. Do people think Sainsbury's will try find me and call the police to do so? I dont know what CCTV footage there is of me? And it wouldnt be hard to find my name - they would just need to check the Primark records (I stupidly tried to take something from there a while ago and gave my real name). Primark is just next door to Sainsburys. How much do they really care?

They didn't lose anything, the only thing I would be paying for is the cost of 'investigation'. But identity theft / giving false name to the police is much more serious than just attempted theft? What do sainsburys want? Do they just want the money? Or do they want to find me? Help I am so, so, so extremely sick with worry.

I cant talk to anyone about it - my mum is a lawyer and will make me admit it was me and pay; this is the right thing to do but will the police have to get involved because I used a false identity?

Or shall I just wait and ride it out? Worst case scenario it goes to court? and then what? I hate my self so much

Comment

From your first post I had the impression the police had not been involved.
                              You now suggest that you had given a false name to the police.
                              What is the actual position?

If the police weren't involved at the start, most unlikely they will be now.
                              So Sainsburys have you (and several hundreds of others) on CCTV. So what?
                              Why do you think they will discuss their security problems with Primark, next door, especially when it involves such a small recovered amount?

I appreciate you are terrified, but in the grand scheme of things it is very minor offence.

I am more concerned (and I know it is none of my business) that a young (?) person is reduced to stealing food.
                              You say your mother is a lawyer, As you are a student it seems a little bizarre that you don't seem to be receiving sufficient support from your family.

Do try and put this behind you, and stop worrying.
                              We no longer send convicts to Australia.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X