• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Andrew MacKinlay calls the OFT ''abysmally weak'' over debt collectors methods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew MacKinlay calls the OFT ''abysmally weak'' over debt collectors methods

ews

MPs to debate debt collection concerns - 08/04/2009

An MP is to challenge ministers to ramp up debt collection guidance and sanctions for bad behaviour in a parliamentary debate later this month.

Andrew MacKinlay, Labour MP for Thurrock, today told Radio Four’s You and Yours programme that he was concerned about "appalling" behaviour by call centres and debt collectors who he said "pick on the most vulnerable and people who can’t articulate their problems". His comments followed examples raised by the programme of debt collectors chasing vulnerable individuals.

MacKinlay is calling on government to beef up Office of Fair Trading (OFT) guidance on debt collection and also questioned the use of automated diallers in contacting debtors. His call comes as the OFT is updating its guidance. He said people should be entitled to speak to an employee of the company with whom they have the debt and that collections activity should cease when there are disputes. "The banks are employing these companies in order that they can have denial," he said.

MacKinlay added: "In my view debts should not be sold. The law should be reviewed." He labelled the OFT "abysmally weak".

One of the companies to feature on the programme was HFO Services, a debt collection agency and debt buyer that has been a Credit Services Association member since 2006. It was accused of threatening behaviour over a debt in dispute. In a statement the company said it was conducting an investigation into the allegations.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Andrew MacKinlay calls the OFT ''abysmally weak'' over debt collectors methods

Good to hear someones at least talking about doing something, lets hope that even more MP's catch on and get this problem sorted.

Comment

Re: Andrew MacKinlay calls the OFT ''abysmally weak'' over debt collectors methods

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
      Good to hear someones at least talking about doing something, lets hope that even more MP's catch on and get this problem sorted.
      I beg your pardon? Since when did MP's ever sort out problems?

It is sites like this that sort out problems, not MP's and they never will while they have their snouts jammed firmly in the public trough.

Andrew MacKinlay claimed £135,474 in "expenses" last year by the way (up from £130,645 during 2006/2007) in addition to his salary of £64,766 plus other allowances he may receive so he is unlikely to have HFO or any other DCA chasing him any time soon.

Comment

If you read my post again you'll notice that I said 'talking' about doing something, not actually doing it, but for what its worth I totally agree with you.

Comment

I'm forever heartened by Cetelco's unswerving faith in our Members of Parliament. Makes me go all warm inside.

Comment

HoC: debt collection debate (Andrew MacKinlay) - 22nd April

just for info...might be washed under Budget day
            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Text of Andrew Mckinlays debate - House of Commons Hansard Debates for 22 Apr 2009 (pt 0019)

Mr. Leech: I thank the hon. Gentleman for giving way. When I tried to intervene, he was speaking about solicitors’ letters. Companies use solicitors and try to give the impression that the solicitors are independent, whereas they are often in-house solicitors who are used to try and scare vulnerable people into acting and giving them the money straight away.
              Andrew Mackinlay: Absolutely. The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold. I want the Minister to introduce legislation to prevent the sale of debt. Although that practice has gone on since biblical times, it seems wholly wrong that alleged debt can be sold when there is a dispute as to whether there is a debt........... ............... Unless the House and the Minister arrest the practice and kick the backside of the Office of Fair Trading, the problem will grow, and more and more Members will be distressed on behalf of their constituents..
              Mr Thomas: My hon. Friend will have seen the announcement by my right hon. Friend the Prime Minister, confirmed again today by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, that a White Paper on consumer matters is being prepared, and that will touch on this subject.
              This white Paper was announced in March - apparently to help consumers in the summer - with proposals to simplify and modernise consumer rights.
              Last edited by Amethyst; 23rd April 2009, 08:58:AM.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X