• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

How to divide estate with existing mortgage and one heir wants to keep house...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to divide estate with existing mortgage and one heir wants to keep house...

Hello. My mother recently died. My parents' estate calls for a 50-50 split of assets between myself and my sister. Easy enough. But here's the twist: She wants to stay in the family home and buy out my interest, but she does not have the cash to do this.

The house is worth $530,000 and the remaining mortgage is $130,000. That means there's $400,000 in equity. If we sold the house it would be easy... $200,000 to each of us after the mortgage is paid off. But she wants to keep it.

She'd like to take out a new mortgage, and take out cash which would pay me my half of the equity at closing. The question is: What happens with the remaining $130,000 mortgage? Do we each have to pay $65,000 to settle it before she can take out the new loan? Do I pay $65,000 and she rolls her $65,000 into her new loan? What benefit do I get for my $65,000 cost?

I'd really appreciate some insight into this if you know the answers. Do I need to hire an estate attorney or estate accountant? I don't want to force a sale as she wants to stay in the family home. Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

This is a UK site so you might not get specific advice.

However... Your sister needs to take out a mortgage to cover the $130k AND your $200k. If she can't do that then you will have to sell.

perhaps the current lender will extend?

Comment

But aren't we equally liable for the $130,000 mortgage debt? So if I pay $65,000, she would also be responsible for $65,000. She could take on the $120,000 debt and then withhold $65,000 of my equity. I'm not sure why this makes so much sense to me, yet I might be completely wrong...

Comment

The mortgage is repaid from the gross figure raised by the sale of the house
        This leaves the net value of the estate, of which your share is 50%.

The executor has to realise the assets and normally would do it by selling the house and paying off the mortgage.
        This would give a net figure of $400,000, of which your share is $200,000.

If your sister wishes to retain the house, your share is still $200,000
        By paying half of the mortgage you are reducing your share by that amount.

At least that is how we view it this side of the pond

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X