• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell victory in court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell victory in court

Hi Folks

It took 3 years but today as a Litigant in Person I was able to get Lowell's Judgement set aside today. They have 14 days to repay me the money and have agreed to remove the offending entry on my credit file. I hope they accept defeat gracefully at last and honour their agreement. I will keep you posted.

Lets remember that this is not exploiting loopholes this is a genuinely disputed debt and the original creditor 3 Mobile did not have the nuts to test their claim in court or even the common decency to tell me they had defaulted me. Its all too easy to sell on a debt and the regulation is not working. DCA,s are circumventing the legal process by not sending NOA's in many cases. Remember Credit Services Association and Lowell Portfolio share a director. In retrospect I would also avoid West Yorkshire Trading Standards. All I will say is I have seen emails from WYTS to Lowell Portfolio. Draw your own inferences, but the more complaints you make the more desperate you look. OFT and ICO are better.

The Appeal Judge gave permission to Appeal on the basis of procedural errors and extended the time limit. The Appeal Judge offered Lowell a rehearing, but Lowell declined. I did allude to the strength of information I had and they clearly had no desire to air their dirty laundry in public. Neither side were awarded costs, so Lowell were out of pocket on Barrister fees. Its been a long journey but the sight of Lowell's red faces and uncomfortable shufling was priceless!

Points of interest are that the Judge was not convinced that the burden of proof was on Lowell to prove I had received a NOA sufficiently served. The Appeal Judge even stated a demand for payment could be determined as a notice of assignment as it brought to the attention of the alleged debtor his obligation. The Judge supplemented LOP 196(4) with the 1978 Interpretation Act services by post Section 7 I think. This allowed service by first class post and placed the burden on the debtor to prove no NOA was received. There was a premium moment where Lowell's Compliance Director was told by the Judge that he had misinterpreted the LOP 1925 Section 196(4) when he stated that it applied only to mortgages. He said that I had a better understanding of the legislation. LOP should be bread and butter for Lowell. However the reliance on the Interpretation Act makes it harder for the consumer.

The Judge was concerned that Lowell had produced different versions of the NOA and had given inconsistent information. The Appeal Judge was remarkably astute in recognising what I had stated all allong. Why would Andrew Bartle of Lowell have sent a NOA on 26 January 2009 and another NOA on 27 January 2009. The glaringly obvious conclusion is clear from the computer records I obtained from a DPA request to Lowell. There were no records of any NOA ever being sent. In fact a whole year of activity deleted. Funny retention policy to delete records when in the middle of litigation.? The Judge was not convinced with the Compliance Directors explanation given under oath. He daid there were two assignment letters because an in house publishing company type the letters a day later. He stated the two letters were the same. The Judge agreed that the two letters were not the same letter, he agreed that only one could be the letter relied on. In the original hearing the Judge said that she was happy that I had received letters of asssignment. As she stated plural she had not concluded which letter was genuine in her eyes and this failed LOP Section 136(1). The Appeal Judge was critical of the Lower Judge on several counts, but stated that Judges discretion was not a matter for him to override. He stated he would most likely have come to different conclusions, with the counterclaim.

The Judge looked like the Appeal would not be permitted because of the proprtional costs and prospects. I initimated that the counterclaim I had made was not a major issue and intimated I would not be bothered if it failed. it was a matter of reputation and in finding for Lowell the Judge inferred that she had beleived Lowell over me. I have had this for five years, but I think the Appeal Judge felt there was no justification for not beleiving that I had not received the NOA, and that the Judge did not test my assertion sufficiently. The Lower Judge he determined was contradictory in stating that both Lowell and me appeared to have given honest evidence, but then beleived I had received an NOA in spite of my insistence it had not been sent. This was a procedural failing.

The Judge was not interested in Lowells failure to disclose he said part 18 did not apply in Appeals and I had weakened my case by pursuing Lowell for information. His take was I should have asked them and then left it. In telling them what they were doing wrong and what they had ommitted to do, they were able to shore up their case.

Lessons learnt? In retrospect I should have told Lowell once I did not owe the money. I would ask for a Subject Access Request by recorded delivery and if they persisted complain to the Ombudsman. This costs them money costs you nothing. I also think the media is the best way forward, I got the feeling that some government departments were not as intersted as expected. Maybe Lowell are bidding for some high profile accounts and that would explain their aggressive approach to litigation.

Hope this post helps others.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell victory in court

WOW!!! Congratulations Roy, what an amazing battle AND WAR you've won against Lowell. Incredibly impressive for a Litigant in Person. Also very interesting and useful learning points about how your own communication with Lowell could weaken your case.

Cel x :beagle:
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Celestine

Thanks was intersting gratifying to see Lowell getting just deserts. My worry is the use of the Interpretation Act which I was familiar with from my own line of work. I thinks assignment is already unfairly weighted against the consumer. DCA'swill argue that its a common defence to state that an NOA was not received and the Appeal Judge alluded to this. However, DCA's know Judges think that way and that gives them a good excuse for not sending them. I would have been able to prove that the NOA's Lowell produced to my MP and for Trading Standards were not genuine because Lowell did not have the address they claimed they sent them to. My Local Authority confirmed that Experian do not purchase the electoral role information until December when they claimed to have searched and traced me from a live credit application in October. They actually traced a Roy Brown according to the CSA. Dont know him. There were half a dozen irregularities and Lowell wisely backed down.

Comment

Absolutely splendid.

If more people fought back like this, the whole rotten system would come crashing down.

Comment

Congratulations and well done, Roy. Thank you for your summary of events. Until recently, I also thought the LoPA only applied to mortgages, so it's encouraging to see that DCA's can be as stupid as me !!! With regard to simply posting DN's, LoA's, etc., isn't there at least a requirement to obtain a Proof of Posting ? If not, then that really is a nasty little get-out.

Cel's point about giving them too much info is indeed worth learning from here. I always believe in giving them as much rope as they want - but do it in the form of questions. I guess you did that too, as they certainly seemed to realise they were in danger of hanging themselves.

Well played that man !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
            WOW!!! Congratulations Roy, what an amazing battle AND WAR you've won against Lowell. Incredibly impressive for a Litigant in Person. Also very interesting and useful learning points about how your own communication with Lowell could weaken your case.

Cel x :beagle:
            A wonderful and well desrved victory Roy. Thank you so much for sharing this detail with us.

QCK

Comment

Hi Bill K and thanks

It certainly seems that the DCA's are favoured when it comes to a face off as to whether the NOA was sent or/and received. The Judge seemed to feel not on your proof of postage question, although the Interpretation Act does provide a caveat in that services is deemed to have been made by first class post if not returned, unless evidence to the contrary is provided (or words to that effect). When you have a computer print out obtained from a DPA request from Lowell, showing no NOA information for any of the 3 dates the NOA was allegedly sent, I think that would be pretty conclusive non-evidence of issue. There was a whole year of stuff deleted wonder what was in there??? Lots of transfers, information about the date of transfer (one of 3 given), information about the number of letters issued by different trading styles, information about the default date (two given).

Another point not mentioned in my previous post was that in the original hearing I was not asked to give my evidence under oath, but Lowell's director was. When it came to appeal Lowell's barrister argued that because of this more weight should be given to their evidence, in particular the explanation regarding two different versions of the NOA. The Judge was troubled by their explanation over the two versions given as evidence. I just felt it was irronic having struggled to reconcile the explanation given under oath with the physical documents I had in my hand. No inferrences sure it must be me.

Comment

It is widely assumed that written evidence carries more weight than verbal, but it seems that their barrister turned that around by referring to the unbalanced swearing-in. Was there a reason given as to why you weren't sworn in ?

Comment

No reason I was aware of. Perhaps I just had an honest face

Comment

Gives hope to the rest of us! Well done:tinysmile_kiss_t4:
                    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Got Lowell's cheque so they have no cleared their debt. Late apparently due to an administrative error

Comment

Done and dusted. Good stuff, Roy.

Comment

Well done

Comment

well done Roy :bedjump:

Comment

Nice one, Roy. Let's hope Lowells learn from this.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X