• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equitable Life - ARE YOU IN FOR A WINDFALL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equitable Life - ARE YOU IN FOR A WINDFALL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10111378.stm

Equitable Life: New compensation plan announced

Page last updated at 15:28 GMT, Wednesday, 12 May 2010 16:28 UK The battle for Equitable Life policyholders has been long-running An enhanced compensation scheme for over one million Equitable Life members has been announced by the two parties forming the UK's coalition government.
    The savers lost money after the pension company's near-collapse in 2000.
    The coalition agreement says they will be compensated for their "relative loss", as recommended by the Parliamentary Ombudsman.
    This goes much further than the limited scheme being devised at the request of the former Labour government.
    After the Equitable closed to new business in 2000 more than a million policyholders suffered large cuts to the value of either their prospective or current pensions as the society struggled to stay solvent.
    Paul Weir, spokesman for the Equitable Members Action Group, welcomed the new government's commitment.
    "After 10 years of denial and obstruction by the previous administration it's been a long time coming," he said.
    "Sadly many thousands of Equitable pensioners have died without justice, sacrificed on the altar of Gordon Brown's defence of 'lite touch' regulation."
    Agreement In a 12-page document, the Tories and Lib Dems have outlined the key issues on which they agree as part of a coalition government.
    EQUITABLE TIMELINE

Continue reading the main story
    • January 1999: Equitable tries to abandon making guaranteed payments it can no longer afford
    • July 2000: The House of Lords says Equitable must honour its original commitments, forcing the company to put itself up for sale
    • December 2000: Equitable Life closes to new business after failing to find a buyer
    • March 2004: Lord Penrose's report says the society was the "author of its own misfortune"
    • July 2008: The Parliamentary Ombudsman says regulators failed to protect policyholders and calls for a compensation fund
    What happened to the Equitable?
    Within it is a single paragraph that will be welcomed by campaigners who have called for fuller compensation for Equitable Life members.
    "We agree to implement the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman's recommendation to make fair and transparent payments to Equitable Life policy holders, through an independent payment scheme, for their relative loss as a consequence of regulatory failure," it reads.
    Alistair Dunbar, of the Equitable, said: "This does look very positive.
    "We look forward to working with the new government to help them to deliver a payment scheme that is swift, simple, transparent, fair and seen-to-be fair. Our policyholders have been waiting long enough."
    'Regulatory failure' In July 2008 the Parliamentary Ombudsman, Ann Abraham, published a report which pinpointed "a decade of regulatory failure" as being one of the main reasons for the collapse of the pension company.
    She called on the government to set up a scheme to compensate the savers for the maladministration and their losses.
    "The aim of such a scheme should be to put those people who have suffered a relative loss back into the position that they would have been in had maladministration not occurred," she said at the time.
    However, the Labour government proposed a less wide-ranging scheme.
    Last October, the High Court approved the government's plan for only limited payments to those who had lost money "disproportionately".
    A former High Court judge, Sir John Chadwick, has been trying to design a payment scheme to meet the government's aims, and his work has been ongoing until now.
    "I welcome the commitment the new government has made in its coalition agreement today to implement the recommendations I put forward for the compensation of Equitable Life policy holders," said Ms Abraham.

Other issues Among the other key personal finance issues outlined in the coalition document are:
    • Reductions to the Child Trust Fund and tax credits for higher earners
    • An independent commission being set up to review the long term affordability of public sector pensions, while protecting accrued rights
    • Restoration of the earnings link for the basic state pension from April 2011 with a "triple guarantee" that pensions are raised by the higher of earnings, prices or 2.5%, as proposed by the Liberal Democrats
    • An increase in the personal allowance for Income Tax from April 2011
    • The phasing out of the default retirement age
    • A review to set the date at which the state pension age starts to rise to 66, although it will not be sooner than 2016 for men and 2020 for women.
    • An end to the rules requiring compulsory annuitisation of personal pension savings at 75.
    Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron described the agreement as marking a "remarkable and welcome day".
    Deputy Prime Minister, and Liberal Democrat leader, Nick Clegg admitted there would be some "bumps and scrapes" over the course of the arrangement but insisted the parties had a "common purpose".

Re: Equitable Life - ARE YOU IN FOR A WINDFALL

Well then if Dave the Dip and Nick the Nonce say they will compensate me before I die then it must be OK! - YEAH!!!

Comment

The long awaited announcment has now been made that £1.5 billion pounds has been awarded in compensation and is being given to all those Equitable Life policy holders who will be entitled to receive this.

As soon as I find when and how much each person will get I will post up some more. It looks like this could be next year at the earliest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11557571 BBC report
      Last edited by TUTTSI; 17th October 2010, 14:27:PM. Reason: added BBC report

Comment

Really interesting.. "An official announcement to 1.5 million savers who lost money in the firm's near collapse in 1999 is expected as part of the Spending Review next week."

Comment

From the telegraph
          http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-the-face.html

David Cameron's deal on Equitable Life payouts 'a slap in the face'

Equitable Life policyholders said that they had been given a “slap in the face” by a government announcement that they would only get back a quarter of the money they lost.

Pensioners carry a coffin during a protest outside parliament in London in November 2009.

By Rosa Prince, Political Correspondent 9:44PM GMT 26 Jan 2011

David Cameron was accused of “cynically” raising the hopes of more than a million policyholders by promising when in opposition to “sort out” Equitable Life, only to limit payments to the level agreed by the last government.

The awarding of “proper” compensation to Equitable victims was included in both the Conservative and Liberal Democrat election manifestos.

All 97 MPs on the Tory front bench team signed a pledge to the policyholders’ action group to introduce adequate payments.

But the exact amount of compensation was never specified. Yesterday, the Treasury announced that 945,000 with-profits policyholders would receive 22.4 per cent of their losses, with younger members having to wait up to three years for payments.

The figure was similar to that set by a retired judge as part of a review led by the Labour government, which was heavily criticised by the Conservatives.

Related Articles
          Paul Weir, of the Equitable Life Action Group, accused Mr Cameron of making his pre-election pledge to win the votes of policyholders, despite knowing it would be unlikely that cash could be found to deliver his promise.
          “This is a slap in the face for Equitable Life policyholders, and it is certainly not what we voted for in May,” he said.
          “Just before the election, politicians were falling over themselves to appear to back us, but what has been delivered is not what we have waited all these years for.
          “Even as they were playing footsie with us, signing our pledge, they were already planning to renege on it. It’s not like they opened the cupboard and suddenly found out the money wasn’t there.
          “If we have to wait until the next election to use our votes again to show what we think of their compensation package, then we will do that.”
          Mark Hoban, a Treasury minister, said: “We have always been committed to making fair and transparent payments to Equitable Life policyholders, through an independently designed payment scheme, for their relative loss as a result of regulatory failure.”
          The Government had previously announced that another 37,000 people with Equitable Life annuities would be compensated for their losses in full, with regular payments for life. Large numbers of victims have already died before receiving compensation.
          Mr Hoban said that their estates would be the first to receive the new compensation awards for with-profits policyholders, along with elderly members.
          But younger people could have to wait until 2014 — 14 years after the scandal broke — with a total of £775 million due to be paid out to without-profits policyholders, with no interest.

Comment

Have you any idea if, as in my NHS pension , I would have a valid claim its ten years this year when I, along with others had letters from NHS pensions regarding Equitable Life and were moved as a block, to The Prudential.
            This has also proved a problem as it was only a small AVC and I am now claiming it but was unable to get the lump sum I wanted and now have an annuity of £14.75 (yes the decimal point is in the right place) not sure how I would go about it if I could claim.
            Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

DT, they will contact you, I have had so many conflicting stories as to when it will be and how much.

I guess it is a waiting game.

Originally posted by dogtired View Post
              Have you any idea if, as in my NHS pension , I would have a valid claim its ten years this year when I, along with others had letters from NHS pensions regarding Equitable Life and were moved as a block, to The Prudential.
              This has also proved a problem as it was only a small AVC and I am now claiming it but was unable to get the lump sum I wanted and now have an annuity of £14.75 (yes the decimal point is in the right place) not sure how I would go about it if I could claim.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X