• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LegalBeagles: RT @DowningStreet: If you have concerns about credit and store cards, h

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LegalBeagles: RT @DowningStreet: If you have concerns about credit and store card

Next three questions and answers

Doris Fone:
    I am very concerned at the way in which store cards are pressed on the customer by various larger retailers. As soon as you hit the till the obligatory questions is put 'would you like one of our store cards' often with the addition of ' you will get an extra 10% off' etc. What is not mentioned is that many of these stores card are way above what could be considered a reasonable APR and can only be described as pure racketeering. How does the government intend to deal with this now and in the future and what measures will be put into place to curb this financial exploitation of often ignorant and ill informed consumers?

Kevin replies:
    That's a very important point Doris. I have called on credit and store card companies to clean up their act to make sure customers aren't exploited by complex and confusing terms and conditions. We are introducing new requirements to explain financial products like store cards more fully to customers, and make it an obligation to check customers' credit worthiness more thoroughly.

Mike Jaimes:
    I have heard talk in the media that the government are trying to implement a ruling that banks and credit card companies have to increase their minimum payment demands so that people are paying off their balances faster. Would it not be better for the consumer if the government legislates a cap on what are sometimes extortionate interest rates charged by these companies?

Kevin replies:
    It's easy to understand why a rate cap sounds like an attractive idea as it's a tough sounding measure. When we've looked at this in the past the evidence has suggested that where this has been tried out in other countries, it can push people into borrowing from less suitable products, or in fact end up going to illegal loan sharks. Nevertheless we are looking at this issue again closely, and the Office of Fair Trading is conducting a review of the evidence around high-cost credit and interest rate caps.

Matt Watkinson:
    When will the banks pay back those unfair charges? We wouldn't try to live on credit if they'd do the decent thing

Kevin replies:
    We should have some news quite soon from the Supreme Court on the fairness of charges on bank overdrafts. As soon as we have the Court ruling the Government will make clear what next steps we intend to take.
    Last edited by Budgie; 19th November 2009, 15:06:PM.

Comment

Re: LegalBeagles: RT @DowningStreet: If you have concerns about credit and store card

and the next three

kitty:
      Is there not a risk that the proposed changes will make it more difficult and expensive to get credit, even if until now you have been a reponsible borrower? What is the Government planning to do to make people borrow more responsibly?

Moderator replies:
      Kevin says: We want to encourage both responsible lending and borrowing. We have put a lot of resources into providing better money advice for people through places like Citizens Advice and the Money Advice Trust. We have also done more to encourage the growth of credit unions which are community finance institutions which encourage responsible saving and borrowing.
      But I am clear that the credit and store card companies have to improve their business practices as well. In the New Year the OFT will be publishing its guidance on irresponsible lending ** which we expect the industry to follow. We are also developing a free, independent price comparison site for credit cards to help consumers make responsible decisions.

Draft - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/con...oft1107con.pdf

alasdair ford:
      can regulations be introduced to force c/c companies to clearly identify the length of time and total interest paid when a cardholder pays the minimum each month e.g. if you pay the minimum charge this debt will take 21 years to clear and cost £15,000 in interest. This should be illustrated at point of application and at the head of any communication from the credit card company for both the current and maximum balances. the current voluntary statement is meaningless

Kevin replies:
      Yes Alasdair. One of our suggestions in the consultation is that there should be a clear indication on your credit card bill of how long it would take you and what it would cost you if you only paid off your card at the minimum rate. In addition to that we are very interested in the idea of an annual electronic statement setting out very simply and clearly the cost of your credit card to you as a consumer.

Richard Koch:
      Do you worry that by introducing some of these measures credit card companies are likely to respond with new fees and charges, reduce soem of their offers and introduce new fees and charges?

Kevin replies:
      I think the most important thing is charges are clear, transparent and not so complicated that they confuse or mislead the customer. Credit card companies are businesses and they are entitled to make a profit, but they shouldn't do so by presenting their products in such a way that it is difficult for consumers to understand what is the true cost of borrowing using a credit or store card. I want to see a new and more responsible attitude from credit and store card companies that puts consumers back in the driving seat.

Comment

and the final three questions and answers

Paul Harries:
        Hi Kevin, on your earlier answer to David Turner on paying off higher interest first, I got ripped off when I took out a 0% balance transfer, and then had to use the card to book a flight. When I got my statement I paid in the cost of the flight but they took the money off my 0% offer, and then charged me interest on the flight. They push 0% offers as a fantastic deal but dont tell you about the hidden costs when they rip you off like this, its not right they can get away with this. Will you make sure that such offers are included when you make them put payments towards the highest costs first?

Kevin replies:
        Very good point Paul, and I've been through a similar experience myself feeling a bit cheated when taking out a 0% offer and then finding it's not quite as attractive as it first seems. The public's response to our consultation so far has shown that this is an issue people feel very strongly about, and you are absolutely right that 0% offers should be included in any proposal to put payments towards the highest cost first.

Jack Thomason:
        How do you combat the problem of Unsolicited credit increases? Are more laws, plus making it easier to stop such actions on behalf of the consumer, the way forward or is it not that simple?

Kevin replies:
        We suggested that credit card companies shouldn't be able to put up people's credit limit without asking them first in our consultation. A lot of people tell me that they find it really irritating when this happens, and that it can make some people think that the credit card company is suggesting they should be borrowing more than they already are using their card. I hope that the industry will come forward with its own proposal on this as it does annoy consumers but we are prepared to legislate if necessary.

Amethyst :
        Are the government looking at the credit card companies hiking up interest rates where customers have fallen in to difficulty because they are perceived to be a higher risk, rather than helping the customer by coming to repayment arrangements ?

Kevin replies:
        Yes Amethyst we are. We already got the indsutry to agree not to do this without giving people fair warning and the opportunity to pay off what they owe. However, we are proposing to go further in the consultation. We are suggesting that this practice might be banned and would be interested to hear people's views on that proposal.

Thanks very much everyone for all your questions and do take part in the online part of our consultation which can be found at www.bis.gov.uk/creditconsultation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X