• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Limitation period confirmed as running from date of Default in CCA cases

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limitation period confirmed as running from date of Default in CCA cases

Doyle v PRA Group (UK) Ltd [2019] EWCA Civ 12 (23 January 2019

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2019/12.html
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

So what do we do with this ruling?
    How, if at all, will this affect CCA court claim defences?

​​​​​​​& what about proof that the alleged DN was kosher in future CCA claims?

I can see it now.
    Claimant's sol to Judge.
    We have spoken to the original creditor. & they tell us that Old Henry down in the mail room (he's 87, but still sharp as a tack, M'lud) definitely remembers one being sent out to Dirty Debtor, & he swears that it was compliant as compliant can be!

Judge
    If Old Henry says that, that's good enough for me......

Btw, can anyone explain how s6 Limitation Act agreements are 'broadly analogous' to the CCA claim being considered in 'Doyle'?

s6 loans
    6(2)(b) does not effectively (whether or not it purports to do so) make the obligation to repay the debt conditional on a demand for repayment made by or on behalf of the creditor or on any other matter;

Isn't a DN a demand? (s6(2)(b) does not specifically state that the whole debt has to be repaid.....would this fall within the 'any other matter' part?).
    Last edited by charitynjw; 24th February 2019, 02:33:AM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      So what do we do with this ruling?
      How, if at all, will this affect CCA court claim defences?

​​​​​​​& what about proof that the alleged DN was kosher in future CCA claims?

I can see it now.
      Claimant's sol to Judge.
      We have spoken to the original creditor. & they tell us that Old Henry down in the mail room (he's 87, but still sharp as a tack, M'lud) definitely remembers one being sent out to Dirty Debtor, & he swears that it was compliant as compliant can be!

Judge
      If Old Henry says that, that's good enough for me......

Btw, can anyone explain how s6 Limitation Act agreements are 'broadly analogous' to the CCA claim being considered in 'Doyle'?

s6 loans
      6(2)(b) does not effectively (whether or not it purports to do so) make the obligation to repay the debt conditional on a demand for repayment made by or on behalf of the creditor or on any other matter;

Isn't a DN a demand? (s6(2)(b) does not specifically state that the whole debt has to be repaid.....would this fall within the 'any other matter' part?).
      Doyle provides some excellent guidance, companies like Restons who dont plead a default notice at all are facing an automatic strike out lots of positives to take from that ruling
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post

Doyle provides some excellent guidance, companies like Restons who dont plead a default notice at all are facing an automatic strike out lots of positives to take from that ruling
        Hi pt2537

Bit of a mixed bag, I reckon, but yes.
        & as you have mentioned elsewhere (& in the Doyle judgment), the possibility of s140A CCA.

I'm guessing that, as the agreement will have probably been terminated by the original creditor, the assignee can't right a wrong by issuing a compliant DN.
        Also, if they don't plead the DN at an early stage, could they (if they realise the mistake), either quickly amend this before serving their statement of case (ie at pre-action protocol), or (if it's worth it) via CPR 17 after serving?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

National Debtline have updated their advice on Limitations for CCA debts. A little vague but in context makes the relevant point - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/...rred-debt.aspx

The Limitation Act says that the limitation period for simple contract debts is six years.

The cause of action (when the limitation period starts running) for simple contract debts is usually when your agreement says the creditor is able to take court action against you. With some agreements, this will be after a default notice has been sent to you and then expired, contact us for advice.

If your creditor didn’t issue a default notice soon after you missed payments, or if they no longer have any record of whether they ever issued a default notice, contact us for advice.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	9A0297FB-ED1B-42CE-A2E0-3239C961443F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	143.0 KB ID:	1454562
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X