• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Prince Charles Pays 350-Year-Old Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Charles Pays 350-Year-Old Debt

350-year-old debt left by King Charles II to a clothes company has finally been paid by the Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles handed over the sum of £453.15 during a visit to The Commandery History Museum in Worcester.The Clothiers Company of Worcester had never forgotten the Royal Family owed them money after King Charles II failed to pay when he commissioned them to make uniforms for his troops in 1651.

As he presented the money in a gaming purse made by the Royal Shakespeare Company, Prince Charles joked that he was glad he didn't have to pay back any interest - which would have pushed the sum into thousands of pounds.

"It seems that members of the Clothiers Company have a long memory," he said.

"By long I mean nearly 400 years. Nevertheless, as a gesture of good will I come today prepared to honour this debt of £453 and three shillings.

"I suspect that it will not have escaped your notice, however, I am resisting the immense temptation to pay the debt with full interest. I was not born yesterday."

Philip Sawyer, high commissioner of the Clothiers Company, accepted the money and gave the Prince a receipt.

He said: "We have closed a very long chapter in our history so we are most grateful to you."

Charles and Camilla were taken on a tour around The Commandery, which has undergone restoration work totalling more than £3million.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X