• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do you check your bills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you check your bills?

More than a third of consumers have been overcharged for a household bill in the past year, research shows.
    Around 34% of people said they had spotted an error in a utility or credit card bill in the past 12 months, while 17% said they had been overcharged during the past quarter, according to financial website Moneysupermarket.com.
    But despite this 50% of those questioned said they still did not check all of the bills they received.
    People are also increasingly paying bills by direct debit, with 63% paying their phone bill and 54% their electricity bill in this way.
    Nearly half have a direct debit to cover their gas, 34% pay for their mobile phone by direct debit and 25% pay their credit card bill in this way.
    The majority of people who choose not to pay bills by direct debit said it was because using other payment methods helped them monitor their finances better, but 11% said they simply did not trust their supplier to take the correct amount.
    Rob Barnes, head of broadband and mobiles at moneysupermarket.com, said: "The staggering amount of people who've been hit with an incorrect bill only goes to show how inadequate some providers can be.
    "Consumers are already facing increased living costs, the last thing they need is to be charged for something they never had.
    "Worryingly there are millions of people who still don't check their bills, meaning they could be paying over the odds for a service they have never received."

Re: Do you check your bills?

I suggest that what has been disclosed is the tip of a very big iceberg.

I have posted on this subject before warning fellow consumers that most if not all utilities routinely overcharge for their service - how do I know this - because final bills provided by them for probate (I suspect when they think no ones looking) are sometimes £100' or even £1'000s over.

The practice seems to be that one set of readings overlaps another thereby charging twice for the same service

Also this does not appear to involve just the odd isolated case as according to my reliable source it appears to be quite widespread - Also don't forget it's not as if the utilities haven't done something similar before - certain directors of a utility company are currently on bail for, it's alleged, defrauding the public purse

Comment

I have caught out BT on more than one occasion on a business account amounting to over £3K over a period of 3 years - and have got all the money back. The thing is before you get anywhere with BT you are sent arround the world on a wild goose chase.

They were charging one off fees for a service which my client did not have! and no one else had picked it up.

I fought a strong battle with then and eventually won - when I asked for the address where I could file a court claim.

You must check your bills thoroughly.....

Dxx

Comment

I don't bother anymore because of the way they muck you about

I point out their mistake & ask for the return of the money.....give them time to comply...........usually 21-28 days & if they don't then they get the LBA followed in a further 14 days by issued proceedings

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X