• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

can they reduce my refund?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can they reduce my refund?

Am I right in my understanding of the Consumer Rights Act 2015
    that within 6 months and after one repair attempt that made matters worse,
    I am entitled to a refund and as it’s not a car I am entitled to a refund in full…
    ..what about wear and tear?
    The act says
    “(10)No deduction may be made if the final right to reject is exercised in the first 6 months (see subsection (11)), unless—
    (a)the goods consist of a motor vehicle, or
    (b)the goods are of a description specified by order made by the Secretary of State by statutory instrument.”
    As this is a chair, can the retailer reduce the refund for wear and tear, for example minor cat scratches?

- - - Updated - - -

the supplier thinks they can reduce the refund offered on my chair because the cat scratch it. the chair was reported as faulty within 6 weeks, it was repaired but this made it worse and unusable. we reported this to the supplier the day the repair was carried out and they agreed to collect it but say they wont refund the full amount as its after 30 days, its been used and has some marks on it
    Tags: None

Re: can they reduce my refund?

Originally posted by cheagavara View Post
    Am I right in my understanding of the Consumer Rights Act 2015
    that within 6 months and after one repair attempt that made matters worse,
    I am entitled to a refund and as it’s not a car I am entitled to a refund in full…
    ..what about wear and tear?
    The act says
    “(10)No deduction may be made if the final right to reject is exercised in the first 6 months (see subsection (11)), unless—
    (a)the goods consist of a motor vehicle, or
    (b)the goods are of a description specified by order made by the Secretary of State by statutory instrument.”
    As this is a chair, can the retailer reduce the refund for wear and tear, for example minor cat scratches?

- - - Updated - - -

the supplier thinks they can reduce the refund offered on my chair because the cat scratch it. the chair was reported as faulty within 6 weeks, it was repaired but this made it worse and unusable. we reported this to the supplier the day the repair was carried out and they agreed to collect it but say they wont refund the full amount as its after 30 days, its been used and has some marks on it
    Under the new Act, there is what is generally know as a 2 tier system. Within 30 days you can reject outright and claim a refund. 31 days to 6 months you cna choose a replacement or one time repair only unless one is disproportionate to the other (this is first tier remedy) if the repair or replacement is fault or does not fix the problem then your second tier remedies kick in, that is you can claim a full refund or keep the chair and receive a reduction in price as agreed.

If you exercise your right to refund due to the chair being faulty after the supplier has attempted a repair, they must offer you a full refund as soon as practicable, and no later than 14 days in any event, unless they can prove the chair was not faulty.

What is the reason for the chair being faulty and how did the repair not fix the problem?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X