• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Suicides highlight the grim toll of benefits sanctions in austerity Britain | Society

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicides highlight the grim toll of benefits sanctions in austerity Britain | Society

Less than two years ago, 50-year-old David tried to take his own life in a council house in Salford. You can still see the scars when he stretches out his arm to light a roll-up cigarette. “Everything just builds up after a while. I was walking around thinking where I was going to get money […]

More...
    Tags: None

Re: Suicides highlight the grim toll of benefits sanctions in austerity Britain | Soc

“We had a gentleman walk seven miles for three days’ worth of food and then walk seven miles back. Another family who came through the doors couldn’t even afford nappies for their child and were actually using a carrier bag and kitchen paper.
    “I’ve been through the bins and all sorts, trying to make ends meet. I’m not proud of it, but needs must at times.”
    Me and David would go for days without food so the kids could eat. The cupboards were always empty.”
    Now I have never been considered a crier but I cried today. This report has taken none of us by surprise but I was upset about David, felt the tears come when I thought about that man walking seven miles but I cannot cope with the baby wearing a carrier bag for a nappy.
    I am sick of watching celebrities and government ministers attending glitzy charity events to raise money for a library or art gallery. I am sick of watching the flash and famous doing something ‘hilarious’ so a family on the other side of the world can have an education, clean water, proper diet and medical care. I am sick of seeing tossers roll up their Turbull and Asser shirt sleeves and spoon out some soup for a publicity shot when they don’t give a flying **** about the sick and hungry on their own damn doorstep!
    Those plastic saints do this so they can show how ‘vewy, vewy kaywing’ they are. It helps them sleep at night.
    These three examples are not rare and not confined to one area of the country. I am constantly emailing those in power and asking them are they even aware of the destitute in this country. When we will they start spending our money on the people they swore to protect and help. Is all all their charity work just a publicity stunt and would their highly polished other halves ever back a charity that might not be ‘trendy’ but would actually change someone’s life!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
    ~ Anonymous

Comment

Re: Suicides highlight the grim toll of benefits sanctions in austerity Britain | Soc

I grew up in southern Africa and did not ever see such poverty until I came to live here. The UK Government has an unfortunate way of coming across to the rest of the world as 'aloof' and 'snooty rich'. They like to be seen to be giving aid to those who need it in the world which makes it come across that everyone in the UK is rich and able to donate to those who are needy around the planet. I am a firm believer that charity begins at home. It annoyed many growing up in Africa when Bob Geldof brought out the song 'Do they know its Christmas' - how condesending can you get!!

Don't get me wrong the heart of the British people is huge but we need to sort out the problems and poverty on our own door step before helping the rest of the world.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X