• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank Error Arrest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Error Arrest

Just seen this and thought it would be interesting, I remember when there was loads of speculation about whether it's legal to use money that turns up in your account

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080220/...k_error_arrest

I did look but if this is already posted, please delete the thread

Sally xx
    P1ss on me if you like, but don't try and tell me it's rain!
    life is all the more precious when we remember it is a terminal state.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can
    Please don't drink and drive

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Re: Bank Error Arrest

It happened near a town where i live too........seems its not legal honey!!!!!!!!!

135k Credited To Mums Bank Account (from Lancashire Telegraph)</title>

Comment

It's never been legal to keep money that is not yours.

In addition, there is caselaw going back over 160 years, one of the earliest is Kelly v. Solari (1841) and there are others more recently. Rather predictably, this comes up often but the answer must always be the same - if you know it is not yours, then you give it back.

Comment

double posted
        Last edited by littlesally; 23rd February 2008, 19:35:PM.

If you need any help with addiction please feel free to PM or email me. I will help all I can

25th Aug SAR request ~11th Sep 1/2 back ~ 23rd Oct all back ~ 29th Oct prelim request ~ 11th Nov LBA ~ 20th Nov "Don't Be Silly" letter ~ 25th Nov I won!

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
          It's never been legal to keep money that is not yours.

In addition, there is caselaw going back over 160 years, one of the earliest is Kelly v. Solari (1841) and there are others more recently. Rather predictably, this comes up often but the answer must always be the same - if you know it is not yours, then you give it back.
          I know Claude, I remember you saying otr. But as it was still discussed and does repeatedly come up I thought this would be interesting.
          I want to know how on earth he will pay back the 2million he's spent!!
          And, what if the investments he made had been good? Would he have to pay back any money he made as well as that he took?

Sally xx

Comment

Originally posted by littlesally View Post
            I know Claude, I remember you saying otr. But as it was still discussed and does repeatedly come up I thought this would be interesting.
            I want to know how on earth he will pay back the 2million he's spent!!
            And, what if the investments he made had been good? Would he have to pay back any money he made as well as that he took?

Sally xx
            Yes, quite probably. That would form the basis for a claim in restitution, which is to say, a claim based on any gains made by the defendant in addition to the loss suffered by the claimant.

Comment

However there is also this one that is an entirely different outcome altogether.....................

BBC NEWS | England | Tyne | Double money in cash point error

Comment

Originally posted by Cetelco View Post
                Yes, quite probably. That would form the basis for a claim in restitution, which is to say, a claim based on any gains made by the defendant in addition to the loss suffered by the claimant.
                BBC NEWS | England | Egg on face over bank error

In this one the people were allowed to keep the interest gained

Comment

It all depends on how hard you tried to explain to the bank that the money wasn't yours & their repeated failure to act

Comment

Originally posted by theGobbyOne View Post
                    It happened near a town where i live too........seems its not legal honey!!!!!!!!!

135k Credited To Mums Bank Account (from Lancashire Telegraph)</title>
                    I'm surprised she got bail. After all she didn't commit murder did she

Comment

Originally posted by theGobbyOne View Post
                      BBC NEWS | England | Egg on face over bank error

In this one the people were allowed to keep the interest gained
                      Because the bank did not have to sue them to recover it - this is not the same thing at all. They alerted the bank at once and were rewarded with a goodwill payment.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X