• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Widow takes dead husband's ashes into mobile phone shop after firm refuses to cancel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widow takes dead husband's ashes into mobile phone shop after firm refuses to cancel

Widow takes dead husband's ashes into mobile phone shop after firm refuses to cancel contract

T-Mobile apologises after widow Maria Raybould is threatened with bailiffs over her late husband's phone contract

A widow took her dead husband’s ashes into a mobile phone shop to get them to cancel his monthly contract.

Maria Raybould, 56, was threatened with bailiffs by T-Mobile and ordered to pay a cancellation fee after her husband David, 57, died from cancer.

But despite showing the mobile phone giant the urn full of ashes, a death certificate, and funeral bills, it still refused to end the contract.

Mrs Raybould, from Cardiff, continued to receive threatening letters from bailiffs, and suffered a panic attack when she confronted T-Mobile staff.

"I've been up to the shop with the death certificate, with a letter from the crematorium, the funeral bills – even his ashes”, she said.
    “I took in everything I could.

"I lost it in the shop. I gave them 20 minutes to sort it out. I went outside and had a panic attack.

"When I went back in the girl told me she had spoken to the manager and they were going to stop the contract.
    “Then I had another letter about the bailiffs."

Mrs Raybould said her son called T-Mobile the day after her husband’s death to try to cancel the contract, but was told they needed to see a death certificate.

She visited the store three times to try to convince staff that he had died, but continued to be inundated with demands for £129 in unpaid bills or a cancellation charge.

Mrs Raybould said: "It's gone downhill since then. I've had texts since then asking if David wanted to pay an extra £2.50 for broadband and letters saying that bailiffs would be coming."

Mr Raybould died on August 29 after a long fight with cancer. Before his death he was paying £26 a month by direct debit for a Samsung Galaxy mini SII on a T-Mobile contract.

Mrs Raybould said it had been easier to bury her late husband than to get his phone contract terminated.

"How dare they put me and my sons through this after all we have been through already?”, she said.

"I wouldn't want anyone to go through what we have gone through over the last few months. It was easier for us to bury him than sort this out."

T-Mobile has now apologised for the mix-up, saying there was a delay to the automated process that cancels the balance which resulted in the letters being issued.

A spokesman said: "We apologise to Mrs Raybould for any distress caused at this difficult time. We can confirm that the account has been closed and the balance cleared."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-contract.html
    Tags: None

Re: Widow takes dead husband's ashes into mobile phone shop after firm refuses to can

may be they shouldn't use automated processses but real properly trained humans with some authority to act?

Comment

Re: Widow takes dead husband's ashes into mobile phone shop after firm refuses to can

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
      may be they shouldn't use automated processses but real properly trained humans with some authority to act?

I think the automated system has more reasoning power and common sense than the morons you eventually get to speak to!!!

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
      ~ Anonymous

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X