• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case - Lloyds Overdraft Terms deemed Unfair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LegalBeagle Wins Bank Charge Case

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
    I think we all know it's unlikely LTSB will appeal this due to the risks to them (more publicity, chance of binding case law, etc) outweigh just keeping schtum on it - real shame!

However, I do wonder if there would be some ground in using this as a basis to set up a campaign over on 38 degrees (they seem to get some real weight behind such things) to get a petition going to the FCA to take on this case for the public at large?
    Hang fire and watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Orfoster can you update your CAG thread, I can't link to the judgment (as LB is censored) or upload it on there - Just don't want them going off on the BCOBs track.
      All done, it won't let me link judgment to your site so I guess folk will have to hunt for it.

Comment

Thank you xx
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by orfoster View Post
          Hang fire and watch this space
          LOL

OK mate, will do!

Comment

Just goes to show, that this site does do a lot good, for people in desperate need of advice.
            Congratulations to everyone who participated in this great result for the 'Little Man'.
            “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

For those that are wondering quite how this judgment managed to circumvent the Supreme Court judgment (as I do find it quite interesting) it's worth taking a look back at the first instance test case hearing where one of the major battles that raged throughout the hearing was the 'excluded term/excluded assessment' argument.

The issue was, if a term was excluded from an assessment of fairness by the exclusion clause 6.2 (b) of UTCCR (the clause that eventually won the banks the case), does that mean that the term cannot be assessed at all or is it only that type of assessment that the term is excluded from?

The OFT argued for the excluded assessment and the banks the excluded term. In Justice Smith's judgment it was the OFT that won out and the excluded assessment approach prevailed.

This was referred to in the Supreme Court judgment as follows - emphasis supplied:

He [Justice Smith] decided in favour of the “excluded assessment” construction and that was not challenged in the Court of Appeal or before this Court. Mr Sumption [counsel for the banks] described it as a distraction. For present purposes, I am inclined to agree. The precise nature of the exercise in assessing the fairness of a reviewable term is no more than marginally relevant to deciding whether or not a term is reviewable in the first place. But in the long run it may become an issue of great practical importance.
              And indeed it has 5 years on.

Comment

Yes but it must be taken into account that the supreme court decision has not been changed due to this judgment. The term itself is not challenge-able any more now than it was then, what was challenged here was the ability to unilaterally vary that term.

An important decision nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                  Yes but it must be taken into account that the supreme court decision has not been changed due to this judgment. The term itself is not challenge-able any more now than it was then, what was challenged here was the ability to unilaterally vary that term.

An important decision nevertheless.
                  I understand what you're saying but all price related terms are potentially challengeable but the SC judgment means that they can't be assessed for fairness on the price/quality ratio ie how much they are in relation to what they're in exchange for. The SC judgment made that point repeatedly, that the same terms that were unsuccessfully challenged could be challenged again using a different assessment.

Question for Orfoster: You got £743 of charges back, what was the total of the charges you were claiming for, disregarding the 3 or so charges that the judge didn't take into account?

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                    Question for Orfoster: You got £743 of charges back, what was the total of the charges you were claiming for, disregarding the 3 or so charges that the judge didn't take into account?
                    The three the judge refers to is me basically trying to work out other costs like higher costs in interest, postage costs and something else that I can't remember right now.

The charges were £743 and interest I was claiming was about £400.

Comment

The three the judge refers to is me basically trying to work out other costs like higher costs in interest, postage costs and something else that I can't remember right now.

The charges were £743 and interest I was claiming was about £400.
                      So just to be clear did you get back the total amount of the charges that were levied after the price increase?

Comment

I understand what you're saying but all price related terms are potentially challengeable but the SC judgment means that they can't be assessed for fairness on the price/quality ratio ie how much they are in relation to what they're in exchange for. The SC judgment made that point repeatedly, that the same terms that were unsuccessfully challenged could be challenged again using a different assessment.

Yes and the terms relating to price quality ratio still cannot be challenged, the extra dimension highlighted here in I think section 35 of the judgment ,is that any term(in this case section 15 of the contract) which seeks to amend the term may in itself as her be open to section 5(fairness assessment).

Comment

So just to be clear did you get back the total amount of the charges that were levied after the price increase?
                          Yes I did.

Comment

Ok, so can I email credit reference agencies asking for the Default to be removed and say I have a Court order. Do I share judgment with them? I ask because I don't assume Lloyds will play ball.

In any event of an appeal, am I within my rights to ask for the data to be suppressed as a result of this order?

Comment

Ok, so can I email credit reference agencies asking for the Default to be removed and say I have a Court order. Do I share judgment with them? I ask because I don't assume Lloyds will play ball.

In any event of an appeal, am I within my rights to ask for the data to be suppressed as a result of this order?
                              I assume that the order specifically requires Lloyds to remove the default rather than the CRAs. Can you post the text of the order?

I would imagine that the order is effective as it is and isn't subject to the possibility of it being challenged at some point in the future.

Anyone?

Comment

Like most litigation, it could be challenged, but why would they! They've been found wanting by the court. If they don't now comply & remove the default their victim can again take them to court AND seek further damages

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X