• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ombudsman writes £100,000 off on ‘irresponsible’ loan secured on Glasgow couple’s hom

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ombudsman writes £100,000 off on ‘irresponsible’ loan secured on Glasgow couple’s hom

Glasgow couple who borrowed £20,000 on a APR of 16.2 per cent over 40 years – at a total cost of almost £124,000 – have been successful in arguing that their lender failed to undertake a proper affordability check, had overridden its own lending criteria, and irresponsibly sold an unaffordable product to the couple, which […]

More...

The Ombudsman's final decision is here - >>> Ombudsman Decision ( PDF )

Glasgow couple who borrowed £20,000 on a APR of 16.2 per cent over 40 years - at a total cost of almost £124,000 - have been successful in arguing that their lender failed to undertake a proper affordability check, had overridden its own lending criteria, and irresponsibly sold an unaffordable product to the couple, which was secured on their home.
    The couple, represented by Govan Law Centre (GLC) could not pursue a claim against their independent financial advisor (IFA) firm, which had since folded, and the lender sought to hold the IFA responsible for any failing.

The Ombudsman said: “I did not consider that White Label had properly assessed how the loan would be affordable so far into Mr and Mrs C's retirement”.
    The Ombudsman ordered the lender to release the couple from the current loan agreement, effectively writing off £100,000 in terms of the secured loan agreement.
    The couple's solicitor, GLC's Mike Dailly (pictured) said: "This is a fantastic result for our clients who would have otherwise been looking at repossession.
    “It raises two important principles: first, that a lender is ultimately responsible for their own product and cannot always avoid liability by pointing to a third party financial advisor who sold their product as an intermediary, and secondly, a lender has to adhere to its own lending criteria and make sufficient enquiries to assess affordability."

via Scottish Legal News | News.
    Tags: None

Re: Ombudsman writes £100,000 off on ‘irresponsible’ loan secured on Glasgow couple’s

Attached Files
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: Ombudsman writes £100,000 off on ‘irresponsible’ loan secured on Glasgow couple’s

Once again, unfortunately FOS are not breaking ground with this one. I heard a number of years ago from a claims management company how you could possibly 'write off' a loan (mortgage) if it meant you were having to still pay off the loan (mortgage) into retirement age. That was one of the criteria the other was not enough checks into affordability. UNFORTUNATELY this is not applicable to second charges.

Someone please correct me if the information I have is not up to date........

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
        Once again, unfortunately FOS are not breaking ground with this one. I heard a number of years ago from a claims management company how you could possibly 'write off' a loan (mortgage) if it meant you were having to still pay off the loan (mortgage) into retirement age. That was one of the criteria the other was not enough checks into affordability. UNFORTUNATELY this is not applicable to second charges.

Someone please correct me if the information I have is not up to date........
        The FOS can look into lending into retirement with second charge but they look at the whole picture & decide on that rather than specific rules from regulation if that is of any use to you.

Comment

The FOS can look into lending into retirement with second charge but they look at the whole picture & decide on that rather than specific rules from regulation if that is of any use to you.

Bet the second charge has to be regulated though.....

Unfortunately the last time I looked into this the company we are with had us by the short and curlys :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

It makes no difference with the FOS, they can can still look into the significance of lending into retirement, unregulated means they have little in terms of regulatory rules to run with not an absolute excuse to dismiss a complaint or claim.

They will look at, who has benefited, why it happened, does it put the consumer at excessive risk, was it irresponsible ? plus anything else they may dig up.

Another FOS post from Eversheds just for example purposes:

http://www.eversheds.com/global/en/w...rvice_decision

Comment

I wonder if the date (after April 2008) & the amount (less than £25k) swung it ?..............clear as mud !

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X