• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – FCA - £2.6m to 45k custs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – FCA - £2.6m to 45k cu

No harm in doing both then!
    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

• Re: Wonga to pay redress for unfair debt collection practices – FCA - £2.6m to 45k cu

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
      That is more for people who work in financial services to use to whistleblow on their employers I think?
      During the PPI Judicial Review I used the FSA whistleblowing function quite successfully to send an internal BBA members' document that said that they didn't give a monkeys about complying with the requirements of Policy Statement 10/12 while the case was being brought despite their public line that they did.

A month later the FSA wrote to the banks saying they ''read with concern that some trade associations are saying that PS10/12 was irrelevant pending the outcome of the proceedings''.

So it worked for me at least.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure it will reach the correct desk in the end on either route.

Comment

Just forwarded the original to the second address and sent a copy to the FO as well! hopefully I will cause a ripple butterfly wings and all that! :fencing:
          Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Paul Lewis on R4 Moneybox is meant to be doing more on this in a few mins

Comment

Can listen on here if you can't be assed to go turn on the radio http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048hxpr
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Brunswick (Yorkshire Bank) and KPR (Nationwide) to carry on in use (though being reviewed by Nationwide)
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Actually has the Ombudsman passed any opinion on the matter as yet ?

Hope the CMC's don't try to use this to screw even more people.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by andrew1 View Post

Does the letter have to be signed by an identifiable solicitor?
                    Well, there's the rub, is it not?

I've now received a response back from the Law Society of Scotland re my complaint against Blair, Oliver & Scott. In this letter, the Society informs me that nowhere on the letter I copied them in on (see page 8 of this thread) does it state that BOS is a law firm but that they are indeed a firm of Debt Collectors and not purporting to be a legal firm. However, if I could provide evidence of an employee of BOS pretending to be a solicitor, then they might get interested! Until then........

Comment

Yes, please! I did!!

Comment

I'm at work right now but I'll post a redacted copy of the Law Society's response to me later tonight.

Comment

I've looked at quite a few BOS letters and other than referring to BOS as their client they don't appear to infer to be solicitors anywhere and do have DEBT COLLECTORS in their logo heading.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

But surely by virtue of the fact they refer to a 'client', the idea that they are solicitors is implicit?

Look at my letter again. It says, inter alia, 'Bank of Scotland Against..... . Then there's the 'client' statement, the mention of papers, action and court. It is clear to me that they are acting like a law firm! As for them being a Debt Collection Agency,let's not forget that even DCAs instruct law firms to recover debts unless they've got someone in-house.

I know it's a bit 'grey' with the BOS letter but the implication is definitely there!

Comment

Oh I agree with you, but law society wise, the BOS letters do make clear DEBT COLLECTORS in their header. Fine line I know. I think saying 'instructed' is more of an inference to being solicitors than the word 'client'. So that boxed section on a letter without the DEBT COLLECTORS wording at the top would be a definate fakeletter IMO. Maybe clarify that with the LS ?

#staysafestayhome

Comment

Actually shall we find some REAL solicitors letters post court action and compare ?
                                #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X