• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anger at Egg ban on canny customers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anger at Egg ban on canny customers

Senior MPs are demanding an Office of Fair Trading investigation into greedy banks after Egg's decision to ban 160,000 customers from using their credit cards dramatically backfired

More...

Anger at Egg ban on prudent customers

Hundreds claim credit cards were axed because they make no money for firm

Senior MPs are demanding an Office of Fair Trading investigation into greedy banks after Egg's decision to ban 160,000 customers from using their credit cards dramatically backfired.
    Egg's move was initially interpreted as a prudent decision to curb overspending in the light of worsening economic conditions. But hundreds of customers have bombarded internet message boards complaining that they are not 'high risk' but settle their debts every month and incur no banking charges. They claim they are being axed because they do not make any money for Egg, recently taken over by US giant Citigroup.
    The revelations created a storm of protest, with MPs demanding an investigation amid concerns that banks prefer debt-prone customers who are more likely to run up high bank charges.
    John McFall, chairman of the powerful Treasury Select Committee, said: 'The motives of Egg need clear explanation if this a case of them ditching long-standing creditworthy customers because they make no money out of them. Perhaps this is an issue that requires an Office of Fair Trading investigation.'
    Last October The Observer revealed how consumers with blameless credit ratings are being refused credit cards and consumer groups report that the practice is spreading.
    Peter Thornton, a Liberal Democrat councillor in the Lake District, has been an Egg customer for over five years. He received a letter terminating his credit card on Friday. He said: 'This is more than an amazing PR blunder. There's a huge amount of people in my position. I'm on a lower interest rate because presumably they've assessed me as a good risk. Every business would benefit from losing 10 per cent of the least profitable customers, but the rest of us realise we can't do that because it would be a PR disaster. They're on the radio saying it's just bad risk people they're getting rid of. I feel slandered by that.'
    Tim Farron, a Liberal Democrat MP, said: 'What this says about the irresponsible lending culture is horrific. An OFT inquiry would be sensible and overdue.'
    Egg was bought last May, just before the credit crunch gripped the world, by Citigroup for £575m. A spokesman said that after buying the bank Citigroup reviewed its customer base to assess its credit worthiness. 'We are sorry and can understand that customers receiving letters are hurt and upset by this, but we stand by our decision. I'm confident the review undertaken was done in the best way possible and was effective in its findings. We are not getting rid of customers who don't make us money.' But he ruled out the prospect of axed customers with decent credit ratings getting new cards if they are found to be low risk.
    A senior executive with a rival bank said: 'They're saying they're culling people because they've got poor credit history, but that's not what they're doing; that seems duplicitous.' But he added that Egg is recognised in the banking world as having a large number of customers with high debt.
    A spokesman for the British Bankers' Association said: 'It's conceivable that with that number of people there are some who have been wrongly contacted. Anyone who believes this should contact Egg.'
    Last edited by Amethyst; 3rd February 2008, 09:56:AM.

Re: Anger at Egg ban on canny customers

Good I think they should. Fancy getting behind them ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Egg is the one bank that I am aware of that has ignored the £12 threshold set by the OFT for credit cards. They charge £16.

As I recall, the OFT has failed to take any action, claiming that there's something in the wording that somehow makes this OK. The OFT are clearly too gutless to take any action, and its surprising that all the others (I think) have still stuck to £12. Noone, of course, has reviewed the level of charges and set them accordingly, as the OFT report of 2006 also required.

It might be worth supporting a campaign, but the OFT are unlikely to do anything. Interesting how the MP is keen to get involved when he loses his card. I wonder how keen he was to support the charges campaign before? Interesting to know. Liberals seem generally to have been amongst the most supportive.

Comment

There's no basis for such a campaign.

It's up to any lender who they choose to lend money to. Withdrawing credit facilities from those who consistently don't pay for them is scarcely unfair - it's a sensible and rational business decision for Egg to make.

The only issue here is that they have been interpreted as doing this to get rid of bad risk customers. In fact, the wording they used did not state this; it including something about the way customers have been running their account and that covers people who always repay the full balance and therefore never incur interest charges.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X