• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tory MP claimed Electricity Supply To His Stables On Expenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tory MP claimed Electricity Supply To His Stables On Expenses

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013..._content=Title

Nadhim Zahawi, Tory MP, Claimed Electricity Supply To His Stables On Expenses

Huffington Post UK | Posted: 10/11/2013 16:53 GMT | Updated: 10/11/2013 16:53 GMT

A Tory MP has said he is "mortified" to learn part of a £5,822.27 expenses claim covered the electricity supply to his stables.
    Nadhim Zahawi, a founder of market research firm YouGov, has pledged to repay the money which came to light after he was among politicians criticised over subsidised energy bills.
    The Stratford on Avon MP claimed the most of those highlighted to cover electricity and heating oil for his estate in Warwickshire.
    In a statement posted on his website, he said: "Since last week's coverage of my energy bills I have been looking into them further and can confirm that all claims for heating fuel relate purely to my second home.
    "However I have made a mistake with my electricity claims.
    On investigation I have discovered that the electricity supply for a mobile home located in the stable yard and for the stables themselves was linked to my house.
    "Whilst a meter was installed in the stable yard I have only been receiving one bill, it was wrong to assume I was receiving two and to have not checked this sooner.
    "I am mortified by this mistake and apologise unreservedly for it.
    "I will obviously be paying back any money that was wrongly claimed immediately and have already contacted IPSA (Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority) regarding the correct procedure."
    Some 340 MPs, including government ministers, have used the parliamentary expenses system to recoup the cost of heating their second homes, it was reported.

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Tory MP claimed Electricity Supply To His Stables On Expenses

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013..._content=Title

Nadhim Zahawi, Tory MP, Claimed Electricity Supply To His Stables On Expenses

Huffington Post UK | Posted: 10/11/2013 16:53 GMT | Updated: 10/11/2013 16:53 GMT

"I HAD THE WRONG SPECTACLES ON WHEN I SUBMITTED MY CLAIM...HONESTLY."

@@@@
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Tea leaf plain and simple even if he didn't go to Specsavers.

Comment

The Duck House is an outrageous new laugh out loud comedy set in a world of dodgy receipts, dodgier deceit, and pure Parliamentary panic

http://www.vaudeville-theatre.co.uk/The-Duck-House.html

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X