• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Televising the courts: the time has come

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Televising the courts: the time has come

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/...shua-rozenberg

Live broadcasting to start on Monday - from a control desk in the court of appeal that looks like a tea-trolley

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Televising the courts: the time has come

I have to admit to being amused by this bit:

" Bad language is often read out in court, though no attempt is made to capture the user's accent."
    The notion of your average ex-public school barrister reading out, "Aye, well ya see, t'was like this. I wa darn t'Dog n Ounds and yon ba$t ard cem reet up t' me, loooooked me in t'eye, ee did, an' ya know wat? The fu ck er 'it me; smacked me reet in me face he did, little twat. So ah chased 'im darn t'ginnels, and up t'brew to t'Dragons End. Well, we wa both reet jiggered, .......... etc........" trying to catch the accent, dressed in his wig and gowns. Equally reading it with the Etonian accent, ........ well, it loses something in translation, doesn't it!

Comment

ooh Fab..I love a good nosey msl:

The case I served as a juror on had a 'acting out the interview' bit and the accused was not English,it was quite amusing hearing the prosecutor reading the transcript verbatim.(Luckily,we had copies lol)

Comment

We already have trial by tabloid, so trial by television is a logical step.

Comment

''For the time being, the only cases to be broadcast will be civil or criminal appeals. Appeals against conviction will not be shown while there is any possibility of a retrial. ''

Ooo could Sparkie's case get on TV then?
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            ''For the time being, the only cases to be broadcast will be civil or criminal appeals. Appeals against conviction will not be shown while there is any possibility of a retrial. ''

Ooo could Sparkie's case get on TV then?
            If it is,,we should organise an LB charabang and rock up msl:

Comment

Reminds me of the weeks I spent in this room watching the live feed to the first instance OFT bank charges test case at the International Disputes Resolution Centre. What a time that was.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/...shua-rozenberg

Live broadcasting to start on Monday - from a control desk in the court of appeal that looks like a tea-trolley

Mobile studios can be put into a flightcase roughly the size of two milk crates stacked on top of each other. Cameras and then connected to the input panel. I have seen set-ups smaller than this at Broadcast Video Expo in the past.

I have no doubt we will have some briefs "playing to the gallery". Can you imagine the BAFTA awards... "And the award for the best performance at the Court of Appeal goes to.."
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Would love Cloggy's take on this!

Comment

Ahhhh just think me and Tom may be on TV then if sparkies appeal gets going, good lord, thats something to think about.
                    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
                      Ahhhh just think me and Tom may be on TV then if sparkies appeal gets going, good lord, thats something to think about.
                      Does Sparkie know?
                      (He'll have to get the decent 'Whistle' out of mothballs, lol)
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                      gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X