• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Home Office introduces CCTV code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Office introduces CCTV code

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-8757632.html

The full 25 page .pdf outlining the code can be
    read here
    SURVEILLANCE CAMERA CODE OF PRACTICE

Use of close circuit television (CCTV) and number plate recognition systems (ANPR) must:
    1. always be for a specified purpose in pursuit of a legitimate aim and necessary to meet an identified pressing need
    2. take into account its effect on individuals and their privacy
    3. have as much transparency as possible, including a published contact point for access to information and complaints.
    4. include responsibility and accountability for all uses, images, and information
    5. be preceded by rules that are communicated to all who use surveillance camera system
    6. store no more images and information than strictly required. Such images and information should be deleted once their purposes have been discharged
    7. restrict access to retained images and information with clearly defined rules on who can see this information and why such access is granted
    8. be undertaken by individuals with approved operational, technical and competency standards
    9. safeguarded appropriate security measures to defend against unauthorised access and use
    10. overseen by effective review and audit mechanisms to ensure legal requirements, policies and standards are complied with
    11. must used in the most effective way to support public safety and law enforcement with the aim of processing images and information
    12. ensure that any information used to support a surveillance camera system which compares against a reference database for matching purposes should be accurate & kept up to date.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Home Office introduces CCTV code

The only question is - what are the penalties for non-compliance?

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
      The only question is - what are the penalties for non-compliance?
      Transportation?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

A failure on the part of any person to act in accordance with any provision of this code
        does not of itself make that person liable to criminal or civil proceedings. This code is,
        however, admissible in evidence in criminal or civil proceedings, and a court or tribunal
        may take into account a failure by a relevant authority to have regard to the code in
        determining a question in any such proceedings
        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Ah, as I suspected. The dog has no teeth!

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
            Ah, as I suspected. The dog has no teeth!
            It's a Code of Practice to be used in conjunction with PoFA 2012, RIPA 2000 & DPA 1998.

A 'bark' in the right direction, maybe?

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X