• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Row as 'disgrace' Chris Huhne lands top energy job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Row as 'disgrace' Chris Huhne lands top energy job

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
    They refer to it as 'living off the fat of the land', which was, & still is, 'frowned upon' & booed (all done in the best possible taste, of course!)
    Rather than its modern meaning of lipodiesel (link)

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs
      What other option is available? If the proles did not vote, we'd still have a self-serving kakistocracy.
      Originally posted by Sapphire
      What's your idea of an alternative then?
      Democracy is the rule of the mob, which is to say, the lowest common denominator. The only answer is to restrict voting to those of intelligence over a certain level.

Interestingly, when it comes to the post-election analyses, the one statistic that receives the most attention is the number of people who didn't vote. They don't care who you vote for, because that means that you are buying in. It's the ones who aren't buying in to the system that worry them.

Comment

So you're damned if you do, & damned if you don't?

Where's that 'Catch 22' quote?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

“There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.”
          Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

It's the ones who aren't buying in to the system that worry them.

My thoughts on that are.... that we should have mandatory voting, we should all be able to either visit a polling station, text, go online or post the vote but everybody with British Nationality over 18 should vote (unless of course they are in hospital, prison in which case they lose the right, or maybe something that exempts them).
            My other point is at the moment until that happens then those who don't vote should not have a say in anything, if they can't be bothered to get off their arse to vote then tough its their lookout.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
              My thoughts on that are.... that we should have mandatory voting ...

Forcing people to participate? No scope for democracy, Free Will or conscience there.

What if there is no candidate that appeals to you? You are then forced to vote for someone for whom you do not wish to vote. That's the banana republic scenario.

And of course if you are compelled to vote for someone, you will probably select the nearest (no matter how hopelessly distant that may be), to your own views. Thus, you are forced to apply a political label to yourself - something every secret policeman wants to know.

My other point is at the moment until that happens then those who don't vote should not have a say in anything, if they can't be bothered to get off their arse to vote then tough its their lookout.

Surely a non-vote is a 'No' vote? Perhaps they should be recorded as such. This option has been suggested, and is the only possible defence for mandatory voting. I note however that when this option is mentioned, the Establishment doesn't like it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                Forcing people to participate? No scope for democracy, Free Will or conscience there.
                Actually, there is at least as much scope for free will as with an entirely voluntary voting system.

What if there is no candidate that appeals to you? You are then forced to vote for someone for whom you do not wish to vote. That's the banana republic scenario.
                Not at all. Write "none of the above" at the foot of the ballot paper and vote for that selection. Or vote for all the candidates, or for the Official Monster Raving Loony candidate.

Comment

If Mr Mugabe ran for office, it would save us all the bother of having to vote.

Simple!

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X