• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

McNally under fire over Litigants in Person claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNally under fire over Litigants in Person claim

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/mcn...ver-lips-claim

McNally under fire over Lips claim

Monday 15 July 2013 by John Hyde

Justice minister Lord McNally is facing criticism from lawyers over a claim that cases involving litigants in person (LiPs) are ‘normally’ completed more quickly than those where parties have legal representation.
    The Liberal Democrat peer was responding to a report by a judicial working group calling for new measures to cope with an expected influx of thousands more LiPs following cuts to legal aid funding.
    McNally played down the problem, saying: ‘There have always been a significant number of people representing themselves in court – they did in around half of all child custody cases last year – and we provide information and guidance to help them. Evidence shows that cases where people represent themselves are normally completed quicker.’
    Steve Hynes, director of the Legal Action Group, responded: ‘It’s not rocket science. If you don’t know the procedure, cannot make the legal arguments, or gather the necessary reports and witness statements to support your case, of course it’s going to end quicker – and the chances are you will have lost.’
    Hynes said the judicial working group report had highlighted that costs will increase as the number of LiPs goes up. The group, formed last December at the suggestion of the master of the rolls, considered it vital that judges are ‘enabled and empowered’ to adapt the system to the needs of LiPs. The group proposed changes to procedural rules, including introducing a specific power allowing the court to direct that proceedings be conducted by way of a more inquisitorial process.
    Mark Stobbs, director of legal policy at the Law Society, said: ‘Any family court in the country would welcome Lord McNally to see for himself what happens when people who are in conflict try to represent themselves against one another with little or no understanding of the court’s procedures or powers.’

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: McNally under fire over Litigants in Person claim

"All professions are conspiracies against the laity" - George Bernard Shaw, 'The Doctor's Dilemma' 1906.

Comment

Probably, the best way to ensure a level playing field is to ensure that, in civil cases, where a claimaint or defendant is LIP, the other side are, also. It may stop the abuse of the legal system by large corporations who tend to hire expensive lawyers and then seek huge costs, mainly, in order to deter litigation. That is what I consider to be abuse of the system. The other way would be to stop a represented claimant or defendant seeking costs from an LIP. The only circumstances under which costs should be awarded against an LIP is where it is clear to a court that the proceedings they have brought are malicious, vindictive or vexatious.

The law has to be just and be seen to be just. The pantomime that currently exists is outdated and in desperate need of updating and reform so that it is fair and accessible to all.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

"I hesitate not to pronounce, that every man who is his own lawyer, has a fool for a client.''
        Henry Kett, 1814
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Make a rule for these cases LIP can claim if they win the 18pound an hour the company if they win can claim 18 quid per hour for one legal representative solicitor or barrister and set a total hours limit ?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
            Make a rule for these cases LIP can claim if they win the 18pound an hour the company if they win can claim 18 quid per hour for one legal representative solicitor or barrister and set a total hours limit ?
            That's one possible solution, Wales, but putting a large corporation on the same standing as an LIP, i.e. they cannot be represented by a legal professional if the LIP is not so represented, would mean that there was a level playing field. It might also deter abuse of the legal system by large corporations if they found their ability to bully litigants into submission severely compromised or curtailed.

There has to be a level playing field and, at the moment, there is not. Changes are needed in order to bring this about.

Comment

To be fair, though, it is unusual for costs to flow in a 'small claims' case.

But saying that, it is important to respond properly to a court case, as not doing so could lead to a default decision, & perceived 'unreasonable' attitude.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Unusual but can happen this becomes a gamble for the LIP some may not wish to take.Th e civil court systems needs reforming when my wife fought a claim for a car accident the 2 barristers made it look like a kids game at a public school in fact rather a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  Unusual but can happen this becomes a gamble for the LIP some may not wish to take.Th e civil court systems needs reforming when my wife fought a claim for a car accident the 2 barristers made it look like a kids game at a public school in fact rather a joke?
                  I'm surprised the judge didn't pull them up. If he/she didn't, they weren't doing their job. I witnessed a judge tear strips off a QC at a murder trial once. I have to say, though, that the QC was wasting the time of not only the court, but the witnesses, also.

Comment

I think the judge had decided the outcome before anyone spoke and he obviously knew the opposite sides barrister they were so pally pally our barrister was slapped down everytime he spoke

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X