• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BBC Wrongly Portray Working Mother as Benefit Scrounger!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC Wrongly Portray Working Mother as Benefit Scrounger!

http://www.change.org/petitions/bbcn...ve-an-apology#

Hi all,

I am writing to ask you to publicly support a deman for a public apology by the BBC to Shanene Thorpe -- a proud working mum who, in good faith, agreed to be interviewed by the BBC Newsnight team last week.

After the interview was aired on Wednesday, Shanene was left feeling upset and humiliated by the way she had been portrayed )after the interview was edited to deliberatly show her in the wrong light). Having thought she had an opportunity to tell her story -- that of a hard working, independent young woman bringing up a small daughter -- she was shocked to find herself presented as unemployed and a 'scrounger'.

I urge you to make a swift and public apology for the distress caused to Shanene and her family.

Sincerely,
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR
    Tags: None

Re: BBC Wrongly Portray Working Mother as Benefit Scrounger!

Signed. What a shabby bit of lazy 'journalism'. Poor girl.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Agreed, and she was clearly mislead into doing the interview only to then be libelled and shown as result of editing and the design of the questions to falsely look like a benefit scrounger. When really shes proud to be a WORKING single mother, who like a majority of working families gets help with rent. But the BBC were questioning her right to have a place of her own with her child, basically implying, it would be better and less costly for the country if she did. But how would that be in her and her childs best interest? It wouldn't be, and no one has the right to say you can not have a home of your own, you will stay with your parents (her parents will be wanting peace and quite when they retire, not screaming babies 24/7!
      I wounder if the reporter actually practice what she was preaching, e.g. when she had a kid did she stay at her parents instead of have her own place, just because having her own place would have ment a little bit of help going her way for rent, i doubt it as she clearly a stuck up bitch that is out of touch with the rest of the country, just like the politicians (though atleast clegg has finally admitted it lol) - Below is a copy of what was sent out by email from shanene herself.

Last week, I got a call from my manager at work asking if I'd be happy to be interviewed by Newsnight about working as a young single parent.
      Of course I'd be happy to do that, being a working mum is something I'm proud of but I didn't expect to be personally scrutinised.
      So I was devastated to see the interview that went to air on BBC2 on Wednesday that had been edited to make it look like I was an unemployed scrounger, questioned why I didn't live with my parents and made no mention of my job with Tower Hamlets Council.
      I've worked since I was 16 and I only get help towards my rent because it is so high. The way that the programme has portrayed me is totally unfair so I've started a campaign on Change.org asking Newsnight to tell me why they felt it was OK to humiliate me in this way and publicly apologise for it.
      Please click here to watch the interview and add your support.
      In the full interview, the reporter even asked me if I thought it was right to have had my daughter. I couldn't believe the question. I am proud of being a working mum. I do my very best, and these questions were really offensive.
      Please join me in calling for a public apology from Newsnight and ensuring that others aren't inaccurately represented.
      Thanks,
      Shanene Thorpe
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Signed.

Comment

Signed also. I had an email from Change.org in my inbox.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Signed it. Awful - as a working single mum it strikes a chord.

Comment

Signed, Shameful behaviour.

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for signing the petition.

Just to update, below is a copy of an email i received via change.org - Those that signed have likely also recieved it. But it goes to show just how SICK abd PATHETIC the people are at the BBC (renamed British bullcrapping):

I got an unexpected call at work yesterday -- from Newsnight Editor, Peter Rippon. (So they do know I've got a job after all!)

He congratulated me on the petition, and apologised "if I'd been misrepresented" on the show. But they refused to accept responsibility and even tried to blame my employer.

The BBC are finally feeling the pressure to do the right thing. But this phone call isn't enough, Newsnight didn't just insult me, they insulted every viewer and working single mums all over the country. Their apology should be as public as my humiliation.

Please help me get to 30,000 signatures by sharing the petition with your friends on Facebook, Twitter or via email, to show the BBC how many people want them to apologise.

I deserve a public apology, and a full explanation as to how this was allowed to happen. I'm ready to meet the team behind the show in person -- so I can tell them my side of the story and make sure this doesn't happen to anybody else.

Please help me by sharing the petition with your friends - if everyone gets just 1 person to sign, the pressure on the BBC will be too great for them to ignore.

Your support really counts.

Thank you,

Shanene

PS If you're on Twitter, please send a tweet during Newsnight (tonight at 10.30pm) - some examples are below:

Will @BBCnewsnight apologise tonight to working mum Shanene for misrepresented interview? #newsnight

.@BBCnewsnight Publicly apologise for misrepresenting working mum Shanene last week: #newsnight

Why won’t @bbcnewsnight publicly apologise for misrepresenting @nenes_life last week? cc: @BBCAllegra #newsnight
                So not only is insulting her for being a single mother that drags herself to work each day whilst still looking after the full parental responsabilities and needs of a child, not enough for the BBC. But they now see fit to blame her Employer - Why is that MR BBC. is it because they took on a proud, honest, and hard working single mother? Which by the way is perfectly legal! BBC should question those in chasrge of the miilions of pounds of license money spent on moving from london to manchester. In fact, is it fair in law that the taxpayer pays a license for a TV even if they do not watch BBC Channels?! Time for High horse kicking arse case if you ask me!

P.S i won't be paying my license fee next year in dispute of the shameful act via the bbc. My money can be better spent by Unichef and oxfam, for children that themselves have to work (up to 15hr shifts in india and elsewhere - Bet hes never worked a shift that long in his life!), where the bbc license money on an annual basis would have solved such problems!
                Last edited by teaboy2; 30th May 2012, 22:33:PM.

Comment

signed.

Comment

Signed.

I would also consider signing a petition insisting that Allegra Stratton either gets herself a 'proper job' - or learns to do the one that she has with more sincerity and respect for the subjects of her 'work,' and for the TV-Licence-paying public whom she clearly and ineptly tries to mislead. Whatever job she thinks she is doing is NOT journalism - and she's clearly NOT a journalist.

Judging by her attitude and clear lack of 'people-skills,' I would suggest she finds a more productive career in local government or perhaps 'traffic management,' instead of sponging off of us licence payers by kidding the BBC she is able to present the truth to those among us who are stupid enough to look to the BBC for such a rare commodity.

In summary - a waste of space, and a waste of our money. In TOTAL contrast to Shanene Thorpe, who was the subject of her 'kangaroo interview.'

Comment

This is appauling, I have signed this petition TB, and feel that she should be financially compensated for the way she was treated and agravation that she endured plus a public apology from the BBC.

Comment

Signed. Said they should sack the producers and interviewer and reminded them who pays their over inflated salaries. BBC are better than this usually.

Comment

Signed - apologies for it taking so long, as you know I've been away from LB for a few weeks.

Comment

Signed, I have too often been on the wrong side of manipulative journalism that is why I believe so little that I read or see unless I can be certain of the facts. Honour is very thin on the ground these days.
                            'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I don't
                            depend on me, and I'm me.'

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X