• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

'Facebook' juror faces sentence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Facebook' juror faces sentence

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk...1466-28888245/

The first juror ever to be prosecuted for contempt of court for using the internet learns today whether she will be jailed.
    Earlier this week Joanne Fraill, 40, sobbed as the country's most senior judge warned he did not think it would be possible to avoid sending her to prison.
    Fraill admitted at London's High Court using Facebook to exchange messages with Jamie Sewart, 34, a defendant already acquitted in an ongoing multi-million pound drugs trial in Manchester last year.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: 'Facebook' juror faces sentence

BBC News - Facebook juror sentenced to eight months for contempt

She got 8 months for it....
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

8 months without fb! - blimey!!!
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
        8 months without fb! - blimey!!!
        That is a horrific and cruel punishment....do you think she could appeal under the Human Rights Act
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Harsh ,,,,, guess they wanted to send a message

Comment

On the other hand MP Elliott Morley - who stole money from the tax payer in expenses claims - is fast tracked to an open gaol and will probably have his sentence reduced to boot.

Comment

The amount of public money wasted and the default liberty gained by likely criminals is just galling.
              It is also terrifying, considering how such a simple, stupid but entirely predictable action, (contacting someone through FB out of curiosity and empathy), has brought the entire case crashing down.
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Sorry I have no sympathy she committed Contempt of Court in a Criminal Court that is a serious offence.

However it will more than likely be reduced to 4 mths.
                If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                  Sorry I have no sympathy she committed Contempt of Court in a Criminal Court that is a serious offence.

However it will more than likely be reduced to 4 mths.
                  I know what you mean but the feeling is that the 'system' was out to make an example out of her and was being too heavy handed.

Comment

TDS,

Yes you could be right in that he was putting a message across to others that use social media in such a way.

It is a shame that judges do not think contempt of court in a civil case even if it involves fraud is not so serious.

sigpic

Comment

well the burden of proof is entirely differernt AND criminal cases may involve custodial sentences, so its an entirely different playing field really. although it would be great to see lenders done for contempt of court in failing to produce CCAs until the 11th hour!

Comment

TDS,

Sorry I am talking about absolute lies told in court, and the passing to judge of fraudulent documents.

The CPR is not there to be abused and CPR PART 1 is very clear

Regards

sigpic

Comment

yes, totally agree with you PF. I meant 'contempt' in its broader meaning, to include mucking people - and the court - about. but you're 100% right.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X