• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Spain named cheapest holiday destination for 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain named cheapest holiday destination for 2011

http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3361119

By Rachel Wait
    If you’re off on holiday soon, check out the cheapest holiday destinations this year...

If you’re anything like me, you’re probably dreaming of sun, sea and sand right now. After all, it’s the time of year when many of us start to think about jetting off for a much-deserved break.
    However, let’s not forget that money is a little tight right now, and holidays aren’t exactly cheap. Fortunately, if you’re still hoping to get away this year and you’re trying to keep to a strict budget, the Post Office has just released the results from its latest Holiday Costs Barometer highlighting the cheapest holiday destinations this year. So let’s take a look.
    The cheapest destinations
    The Post Office Holiday Costs Barometer looks at the price of ten popular tourist items, including dinner for two, refreshments, insect repellent, and suncream, in 14 destinations across the globe.
    According to its calculations, families looking for the cheapest holiday should head to Spain, which has come out as the cheapest holiday resort destination for 2011, after the basket of ten items came to £42.15. This is 15% less than 2010’s top destination, Portugal, which has been pushed from first to third place by Spain and Bulgaria.
    Prices in Spain have been slashed in a bid to win back UK holidaymakers after levels dropped on the back of the recession.
    Meanwhile, if you’re planning to head to either Greece or Turkey for your holiday, you’re also in luck because prices in these two countries have also taken a plunge.
    Following on from a disappointing 2010, Greece has had to cut costs, with bars and restaurants in the top island resort of Corfu having slashed prices by 10%. This has meant Greece is now the fourth cheapest holiday resort destination.
    Turkey has taken the fifth spot after prices there fell by 15% - the largest price fall out of all 14 destinations surveyed. Indeed, the price of a three-course evening meal for two in top Turkish resort, Marmaris, has dropped by a massive 23%! A stronger UK pound against the Turkish lira has also influenced this.
    Costly breaks
    In contrast, Miami in the USA came out as the most expensive resort destination, where a three-course evening meal for two would set you back an average of £65.79 – over £42 more what it would cost you in Spain!
    Italy was the second most expensive holiday destination, followed by France. Brighton in the UK also came in the top five most expensive holiday destinations on the back of rising meal costs and increased VAT.
    A closer look
    The table below shows how much a typical basket of good costs in various popular destinations (this runs from the cheapest to most expensive). The basket includes coffee, beer, cola, water, suncream, postcard and stamp to UK, insect repellent, cigarettes, English tabloid newspaper, and a three-course evening meal for two, including wine.

Position
    Country
    Resort
    Typical price
    % change from 2010
    Spain
    Costa del Sol
    £42.15
    =
    Bulgaria
    Sunny Beach
    £44.79
    +3%
    Portugal
    Algarve
    £49.63
    +20%
    Greece
    Corfu
    £58.87
    -10%
    Dubai
    Jumeirah
    £59.37
    n/a
    Malta
    Various
    £68.97
    =
    Turkey
    Marmaris
    £69.51
    -13%
    Cyprus
    Various
    £70.74
    +9%
    Croatia
    Kvarner
    £73.55
    +10%
    UK
    Brighton
    £77.01
    +10%
    Egypt
    El Gouna
    £78.30
    -12%
    France
    Brittany
    £81.48
    +3%
    Italy
    Sorrento
    £88.21
    +8%
    USA
    Miami
    £92.81
    -6%
    Exchange rates
    Generally-speaking, in Europe, Sterling buys around the same amount of holiday cash as it did a year ago, according to the Post Office survey. However, you’ll get more for your pound in Egypt (up 13.7% on last year), Dubai (up 7.3%) and the USA (up 6.3%).
    The table below shows Post Office exchange rate comparisons for holiday currencies between April 2011 and 2010 (based on rates as at 6 April).

Country
    April 2011
    April 2010
    % Change
    Egyptian pound
    +13.7
    UAE dirham
    +7.3
    US dollar
    +6.3
    Turkish lira
    +3.1
    Bulgarian lev
    +0.5%
    Euro
    =
    Croatian kuna
    Flights
    Of course, the one thing missing from this research is the cost of getting to these destinations. And flights aren’t always cheap, so they can soon add significant costs to your holiday.
    Of course, if you’re staying in the UK then your travel costs shouldn’t be too high. But if you’re not, I’ve done some research of my own to investigate how much a typical flight would cost you to three of the cheapest and three of the most expensive destinations. In each case, I’ve picked the cheapest option and added this onto the costs above.
    The flights below depart on Saturday 18 June and return on Monday 27 June. Obviously prices will vary depending on when you fly, where you fly from, and which airline you choose. Budget airline flight costs also don’t include additional fees for luggage and checking in, so don’t forget to keep this in mind. Prices are per person.
    The three cheapest destinations

Flying from
    Flying to
    Airline
    Flight cost
    Total cost
    London Gatwick
    Malaga, Spain
    Aer Lingus
    £91
    £133.15
    London Luton
    Bourgas, Bulgaria
    Wizz Air
    £160
    £204.79
    London Gatwick
    Faro, Portugal
    easyJet
    £169
    £218.63
    The three most expensive destinations

Flying from
    Flying to
    Airline
    Flight cost
    Total cost
    London Heathrow
    Miami, USA
    Lufthansa
    £535
    £627.81
    London Heathrow
    Naples, Italy
    Alitalia
    £155
    £243.21
    London City Airport
    Lorient, France
    Air France
    £293
    £374.48
    As you can see, when you take the flight into consideration, Spain still comes out cheapest overall and Bulgaria and Portugal remain in second and third place respectively. Meanwhile, the USA is still the most expensive destination overall, but it’s France that comes in second most expensive once the flight has been taken into account.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: Spain named cheapest holiday destination for 2011

Eurozone, is too expensive...

Comment

I'm going to Corfu nice to know the prices have dropped.
      Is no longer here

Comment

I'm going to Corfu nice to know the prices have dropped.

which part of
        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Roda. North-east, in between Acharavi and Sidari but much nicer than both, in my opinion. Much more laid back and not so "in your face"
          Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
            Roda. North-east, in between Acharavi and Sidari but much nicer than both, in my opinion. Much more laid back and not so "in your face"
            I love Corfu. Ipsos, Dassia, Gouvia, paleo. Great place great people.

Went to Ipsos in August 1985. Soooo hot.

Comment

I've been about 8 times since 1988. Started off just me and OH, then the kids, and various friends and relatives all converted along the way Absolutely love the place, the people, the food. And of course the weather.
              Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X