• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Compensation for yobs? No chance sunshine!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation for yobs? No chance sunshine!

Judge says youths brought catapult attack on selves

Stephen Exley A compensation claim by youths who were left battered and bruised when a homeowner shot them with a catapult has been thrown out of court.

The trio lodged the claim against Bruce Harwood after he took the desperate action as the group had made residents’ lives hell by urinating in doorways, throwing eggs and stones, and screaming and shouting.

The judge spared Harwood a jail term for his attack, saying the youths had provoked residents with their anti-social behaviour and had brought the painful retribution on themselves.

Cambridge Crown Court heard how Harwood and his fellow residents at Chatteris House, Chatteris, were at their wits’ end after being plagued by local youths running in and out of the automatic gates at the Grade II-listed building, throwing eggs and urinating.

When a stone was thrown at the window of his first-floor luxury apartment on April 11, the 38-year-old took matters into his own hands, and got out a catapult.
    Charles Snelling, prosecuting, said: “He fired metal ball bearings at them to scare them.”

Three of the youths were left with swellings after being hit on their legs and groin by the metal balls.

Benedict Peers, mitigating, said there had been “a significant element of provocation” towards Harwood, adding: “He will now have to relocate to Northamptonshire to be with his fiancée, as his fiancée refuses to live with him at Chatteris House.”

Sentencing Harwood, Judge Gareth Hawkesworth told the defendant: “In this incident, it is entirely clear to me you and the other residents of Chatteris House were subject to a lot of incidents of anti-social behaviour that were deliberate provocations by local youths.”

But he criticised Harwood for not notifying police and taking the law into his own hands, adding: “It could easily have caused much more serious injury than it did.”
    Harwood was previously convicted of assault in 2003, but the judge acknowledged that the defendant had been “under considerable stress at that time”.

He sentenced Harwood to 150 hours of community work.

However, Judge Hawkesworth threw out the claim for compensation by the injured youths, which he described as “entirely inappropriate” as the youngsters had “brought this very much upon themselves.”

Cambridge News | Latest News From In & Around Cambridge City | Latest Sports, Jobs & Business News in Cambridge Newspaper | Judge says youths brought catapult attack on selves
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Re: Compensation for yobs? No chance sunshine!

Odd that he should just happen to have a catapult and a lot of ball bearings in his bits and bobs draw.

I have neither.

But I have to say having accidentally done it to myself once, a spray of dry powder antiperspirant straight into the eyes can stop someone in their tracks. :okay:
    Scottish Wildcat Association, conserving Scotland's critically endangered wild felines

Comment

Originally posted by Zazen.Warrior View Post
      Odd that he should just happen to have a catapult and a lot of ball bearings in his bits and bobs draw.

I have neither.

But I have to say having accidentally done it to myself once, a spray of dry powder antiperspirant straight into the eyes can stop someone in their tracks. :okay:
      Be careful with the spray
      Man blows himself up trying to kill a spider - Telegraph

Comment

pmsl
        The man was summoned by his wife to deal with a spider
        The blast was so strong it blew the man off his feet and lifted the loft door off its hinges
        funny.

In Chatteris it is quite normal to have weapons randomly concealed about your home
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

It is there, lol! Thank god my boss isn't on LB or that would get me a slap!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X